Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    So, I'm planning on getting new phones for my family, 2 Pres and 2 Pixis. My Wife and I get the Pres and my teens get the Pixis. My daughter thinks the Pixi is cute but my son on the other hand, thinks the phone is cool, but would have a hard time telling his buds he has a phone named after a mythical fairy.

He is puzzled why Palm named a phone with such a feminine name when it is such a youth oriented phone. Since we all want to share chargers and batteries and such, other phones are out of the question for now.

I tend to agree with my son, Palm should have thought up a more general sounding name for the Pixi
    Last edited by migs; 10/04/2009 at 08:20 PM.
    Just call it a Palm.
    honestly, i think it's the female version of a palm pre..i mean the phone looks feminine, and sounds feminine.
    I think if you son is lucky enough to be given such a powerful phone, He should be thankful and deal w/ the name.

How about you buy him the pixi and call me and ill trade him my daughters Rant. she would be very appreciative.
    I have to agree. The first time that I heard the name, I was definitely incredulous. I see that name turning off a lot of folks...including a lot of men. Too bad...because it looks like a killer phone. WebOS in a Centro form factor...but slicker...and the Centro was a huge success for Palm.

I suppose we will see. At this point, I don't even know what the pricing model would be. It was going to be an entry level WebOS device, but with the pre going for $80, I cannot imagine how they will price this.
    I do think that the name is a little bit off for that kind of phone. I wish my whole family would get pres and pixis! But just say it's a palm like the first post. It doesn't say pixi anywhere at least.
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    I think if you son is lucky enough to be given such a powerful phone, He should be thankful and deal w/ the name.

How about you buy him the pixi and call me and ill trade him my daughters Rant. she would be very appreciative.
    I dont feel he is being ungrateful, since the Pixi is considered a entry level phone and hopefully will be under 99 bucks. I actually feel Im saving money in the long run because we can all share a pair of car chargers and touchstones.
    Last edited by migs; 10/04/2009 at 08:37 PM.
    not wanting a phone because of the name is crazy..lol..funny..but crazy...
    Offer to let him get the Pre if he wants to kick in the diff in prices himself. Same deal for your daughter.
    Quote Originally Posted by lovely_olemiss View Post
    not wanting a phone because of the name is crazy..lol..funny..but crazy...
    If you're a young adolescent, it's completely rational. I can assure you that my daughters would never, ever get a phone if the name sounded like it belonged at a football game, truck show, or nascar race. But they love the name Pixi.
    Quote Originally Posted by migs View Post
    So, I'm planning on getting new phones for my family, 2 Pres and 2 Pixis. My Wife and I get the Pres and my teens get the Pixis. My daughter thinks the Pixi is cute but my son on the other hand, thinks the phone is cool, but would have a hard time telling his buds he has a phone named after a mythical fairy.

He is puzzled why Palm named a phone with such a feminine name when it is such a youth oriented phone. Since we all want to share chargers and batteries and such, other phones are out of the question for now.

I tend to agree with my son, Palm should have thought up a more general sounding name for the Pixi
    Dude, he is gaming you in order to get a pre... get with the program!!!!

You could always give him a choice... LG Rumor2 or a pixi. Which do you think he would get?

At the end of the day, what is in a name... sounds like a good "parenting moment" to me... hint, hint... lol
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    I'm afraid that Palm just hasn't been creative when it come to device names lately:
    Centro
    Pre
    Pixi

The last name I thought was decent was Treo.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    I'm afraid that Palm just hasn't been creative when it come to device names lately:
    Centro
    Pre
    Pixi

The last name I thought was decent was Treo.

Good Luck
    Agreed.

Treo worked.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Agreed.

Treo worked.
    In fact when asked I tell people I have a Treo because they don't know what a Centro is.

My email signature is : Sent Wirelesly From My Treo

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Since they havent released it yet they should just drop the last "i" and call it the Palm Pix my son suggested..
    Last edited by migs; 10/04/2009 at 11:18 PM.
    When I first heard about it I figured it would be Pink.
    Quote Originally Posted by uscbucsfan View Post
    When I first heard about it I figured it would be Pink.
    me too!
    I pictured it with glitter also.
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    At the end of the day, what is in a name... sounds like a good "parenting moment" to me... hint, hint... lol
    i'm still amazed at all the gadgets parents get their kids these days. and that they worry so much about what their kids think of it.
    i agree it's definitely expected for a young teenager to be concerned about being associated with certain types of names..but it would definitely be a good time to re-iterate the importance/non-importance of a name..i'm a woman and i've never been into pink..purple..fairys or princesses..lol..but if that Pixi is like the Pre I'd be txting, browsing, and swiping awaaaay!!! lol..
    I think that they should have change the name to something else, but it shouldn't matter that much in my opinion (a teenage boy), especially for such a cool phone and one that your parents are paying for! I wish I could get my parents to buy me a phone. I have to pay for anything other than a free phone.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast