1.    #1  
    Latest article about Pixi on precentral suggests that the Pixi will have both a CDMA radio and GSM radio in same unit. Is it going to be a worldphone then? If it is, this sounds like amazing news to me. I'd consider switching from Pre to Pixi because of this.
    Nope. It is just saying that the processor can handle both radio's. I don't think it meant at the same time. However, I could be wrong.
  3.    #3  
    That would be disappointing news. Blackberrys are the only decent Worldphone devices, I wish Palm would consider this market. While not a major market, but definitely makes carriers like Sprint more desirable to those that travel a lot.
    Yeah, unfortunately people who don't know what they're talking about seem to be perpetuating the idea that it's a worldphone. An article went up today at Slashgear where the writer made comments along those lines, but I'd say with 99% certainty it's exactly what pogeypetey said, that the chipset supports either/or, not both.

As an example, the chipset of the Pre also supports XGA output or TV output, but the Pre itself doesn't have the hardware for that. The same will be the case for the Pixi not supporting both GSM and CDMA.

This is designed as a cheap low-end phone, having two cell radios would be more expensive than a cell radio and Wifi, and it'd most likely take up more space as well.

If anything, the chipset was chosen because of how simple it'd be to swap out the CDMA radio with a GSM radio so when it's sold on multiple carriers it doesn't require a complete internal redesign.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Yeah, unfortunately people who don't know what they're talking about seem to be perpetuating the idea that it's a worldphone. An article went up today at Slashgear where the writer made comments along those lines, but I'd say with 99% certainty it's exactly what pogeypetey said, that the chipset supports either/or, not both.

As an example, the chipset of the Pre also supports XGA output or TV output, but the Pre itself doesn't have the hardware for that. The same will be the case for the Pixi not supporting both GSM and CDMA.

This is designed as a cheap low-end phone, having two cell radios would be more expensive than a cell radio and Wifi, and it'd most likely take up more space as well.

If anything, the chipset was chosen because of how simple it'd be to swap out the CDMA radio with a GSM radio so when it's sold on multiple carriers it doesn't require a complete internal redesign.

and hopefully webos device V3 can build on this and maybe even be a worldphone?

Fingers crossed.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Yeah, unfortunately people who don't know what they're talking about seem to be perpetuating the idea that it's a worldphone.
    Yeah the blogs from Engadget to Gizmodo have been pushing that nonsense.

I remember the same thing happening when there was a wave of blog posts telling the shocking news that the Palm Pre could not simultaneously have a phone call and internet access, and Palm was cursed for being terrible and lazy for stripping out that feature. Blog authors apparently live in a GSM-only world and also tend not to be aware that some people's phones don't have SIM cards.
    No world use makes me want to go back to my blaclberry though.