1.    #1  
    I write for MoPocket.com and we're going to an event where the Pixi will be. I have my own set of things to check out, but I figured I'd open a thread and ask the regulars here - anything in particular you want checked out?

I'm really excited. I'll also get to mess with the Sprint Hero, and hoppefully the CLIQ from Moto.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Very cool. Please try to compare the snappiness with the Pre. the GDGT guys say that the Pixi is noticeably slower than the Pre under standard use, which would be very disappointing.
    Global Posts
    594 Global Posts
    please check the camara to see how nice are the pictures
    See if it's running an advanced build of WebOS
    When's the event?
    1. Will there be a pixie version 2 with GSM with Wifi?
    2. Will Palm give us a higher capacity battery maybe in the same form factor that is touchstone compatible(1500 to 2000)?
    3. A 5MP Camera with video recording capability?
    Quote Originally Posted by guardsman View Post
    1. Will there be a pixie version 2 with GSM with Wifi?
    2. Will Palm give us a higher capacity battery maybe in the same form factor that is touchstone compatible(1500 to 2000)?
    3. A 5MP Camera with video recording capability?
    highly doubt they will answer question number 1

5mp cam? lolz
    Prē *********♥
    1Ghz
    Pixi *********♥
    Patched up
    (Gone)
    Now on a Samsung Epic
    *Creator of the best thread on precentral*

RIP

8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnienyc View Post
    When's the event?
    Last Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by sbono13 View Post
    Very cool. Please try to compare the snappiness with the Pre. the GDGT guys say that the Pixi is noticeably slower than the Pre under standard use, which would be very disappointing.
    It seemed pretty snappy to me, but it was a pre-release build, so it could have been stripped down. The gesture area was much more responsive than I thought it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by ldudiaz View Post
    please check the camara to see how nice are the pictures
    Meh. I liked it, but I'm not a camera guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    See if it's running an advanced build of WebOS
    Nope. Apparently that's the first thing everyone asked.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    How did you like the Pixi? What are you opinions on it when comparing to the Pre?
  10.    #10  
    Due to the long line by the Palm table at this event, I wasn't able to have as much time as I wanted, but I was more impressed than I thought I would be. The keyboard is a bit more usable than the Pre and Centro (but still not as good as an 800W, 650, etc). The gesture area was really neat.

Compared to the Pre, it feels more solid (which makes sense, as there are no major moving parts) but still had that great "feel" in my hand. It's actually so light I can see forgetting that I have it. The screen is sharp, but you give up a lot of screen real estate compared to the Pre. If you're coming from a small-screen phone you won't really care, but if you're coming from something like a Touch, it's going to be an adjustment.

The battery looks to be the same puny one that Palm seems obsessed with using, so that's still a concern. Also, considering the lack of WiFi (which doesn't overall bother me), I'm guessing this will require a SE plan, which means it's out for me.

I also got to mess with a CLIQ and a Hero that night. The CLIQ was surprisingly zippy, but of course is not coming to Sprint. The Hero managed to disappoint in a big way. Seriously laggy OS.

Honestly, if I had to switch today and had to pick between a Pre or Pixi on SE, or Hero on SERO, I'd open a new line for the Pre - unless the Pixi was under a hundred.
    Quote Originally Posted by Typo Lad View Post

Honestly, if I had to switch today and had to pick between a Pre or Pixi on SE, or Hero on SERO, I'd open a new line for the Pre - unless the Pixi was under a hundred.
    If I had to bet I'd say the Pixi will be launched at $79, the Pre 8Gb dropped to $99, and a new Pre 16Gb launched at $199. This creates multiple prices points, form factors, and memory capacities to counter end of year changes by other providers like Apple and Rim (and of course Motorola, Microsoft, etc). The 3GS will most likely drop to $99 by end of year and so Palm has to proactively plan for this. Of course these are all assumptions/guesses.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    If I had to bet I'd say the Pixi will be launched at $79, the Pre 8Gb dropped to $99, and a new Pre 16Gb launched at $199. This creates multiple prices points, form factors, and memory capacities to counter end of year changes by other providers like Apple and Rim (and of course Motorola, Microsoft, etc). The 3GS will most likely drop to $99 by end of year and so Palm has to proactively plan for this. Of course these are all assumptions/guesses.
    I doubt there's going to be a 16GB on Palm anytime soon. If anything, they'll most likely release more variety of form factors for the WebOS than focus on only on the flagship. First things first, they need to build a better Pre and then maybe 16GB will come in handy.
  13.    #13  
    Yeah, I'm not seeing a 16GB Pre as viable this quarter. First let's have them manage the memory it has better, like letting you use all 4GB for apps.

Not saying I don't think a 16GB Pre will happen at some point in 2010, but I don't see it happening so fast.
    I wouldn't count out the possibility of seeing a Pre v1.1 in time for the holidays. Palm's had plenty of time to meditate on their design wins and flaws, and changing the mechanical design and packaging of the Pre to reduce manufacturing cost and increase build quality and yield are certainly in their best financial interest.

If this were to happen, bumping the flash to 16GB (leaving all other electronics unchanged) would be an easy way to differentiate between v1.0 and v1.1. Apple's had great success with this particular tactic.

Because the Pixi will have 8GB of flash, bumping the flagship to 16GB would also help differentiate the two in the numbers game.

My two cents, or possibly just my wishful thinking. I'd really like to own a Pre that doesn't feel like it's going to fall in halves.
    As much as I love webOS, I'm starting to realize I can't wait to upgrade next year. I'll most likely stick with webOS but I want more solid hardware that doesn't feel extremely wobbly like it'll snap.
    Global Posts
    299 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    If I had to bet I'd say the Pixi will be launched at $79, the Pre 8Gb dropped to $99, and a new Pre 16Gb launched at $199.
    With Pandora and AccuRadio I found I have no need to load music, rarely would I have time to watch a movie on PRE, so 8 gigs is way more than enough for me. Coming from Blackberry it is all the space in the world.