Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Re: Palm sprinkles Pixi dust on the new Apple iPods

If you thought the Palm Pre had a lame name, then consider their newest fumble: the Palm Pixi. Can you imagine walking into the nearest Sprint store and asking for the latest smartphone to hit the market, only to have the clerk bring out the Pixi...
    Here is the artwork that cnet uses in their article about the Pixi:

- Craig
    They are definitely aiming the Pixi at the "Melrose Place" and "90210" teenset, as well as some of those "Glee"sters.

I actually think it's a smart marketing move. LET'S GO PALM!
    I likey take apart thingies....
    Quote Originally Posted by powerbyte View Post
    They are definitely aiming the Pixi at the "Melrose Place" and "90210" teenset, as well as some of those "Glee"sters.

Agreed. But I'm their target as well b/c I'm in Melrose Place, 90210, Gossip Girl, The Hills and The City but I'm a straight male in his early 30s. This phone I think appeals to people in their teens, tweens and 20s and up
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by powerbyte View Post
    or in the words of the Pixi crowd:

Lets Go Paaalm, LETS GO (clap clap) Lets Go Paaalm, LETS GO (clap clap). Give me a P, gimme a I, gimme a X.... yeh you get the point.

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Blackberries and WM phones are aimed at business people. The Pre and especially the Pixi are more aimed at a younger crowd, more of your late teen, college aged, even young professionals with more of a web 2.0 life. It's sort of the same aim that apple has with the iPhone, but a little more direct with the Pixi.
    I'm 16 and have a pre, so the phone isn't necessarily for the older people while the pixi is for younger people. I think the pixi has an awsome form factor, but it lacks the features the pre has (3mp camera, wifi, bigger screen). I'd prefer a candybar phone over a slider if it weren't lower end, but the name pixi is just too femanine for me. I think that will deter guys from getting one.
    I think when it comes down to it regardless of what the phone is named if it performs well it will sell well.
    Who gives a sh!t what the name is? What's wrong with you people? Are you that insecure? A budget version of the pre, for consumers who don't care about a 3MP camera, a slider that twists, or wifi, and who like the option to easily customize their phones? Or those who had the Treo, Centro, or similar form-factor and are looking to update without changing too much from what they're used to?

Honestly. This is a great move from Palm, and anyone who doesn't see why is kind of an *****.
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Agreed. But I'm their target as well b/c I'm in Melrose Place, 90210, Gossip Girl, The Hills and The City but I'm a straight male in his early 30s. This phone I think appeals to people in their teens, tweens and 20s and up
    New season, sept 29th
    I think it's unfair to put Glee in the same category as the other shows listed. Sure, it's baseline demographic may be the same but it's cleverly written and reminds me more of something like Scrubs-- which is probably why I'm watching it.

My wife, however, does watch the other shows listed and she will be upgrading her Centro to a Pixi.
    I hope they worked out legals and have the right to use pixi

Pixibeauty.com
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    The guy is a tool and shows his obvious bias in the article. I think he just wishes he worked for Gizmodo with his snarkiness.
  13. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Best. Bio. Ever.

Justin Yu covers desktop computers, printers, and peripherals for CNET. When he's not scouring eBay for useless ephemera or eating hot dogs for breakfast, he spends his time making fun of Internet culture every morning on The 404 podcast. E-mail Justin.
    Justin Yu sure hates Palm and likes the iPod. Yeah, I guess Apple is cool, just pay up for the coolness.

BTW, I do have an iPod, 1st gen (hate the damn battery issue), 2nd gen, then iPod video, iPod nano so I do pay up, I just don't want an iPhone.
    CNET is starting to annoy me recently. They have become the biggest Apple fanboys... and the biggest Palm haters... I'm pretty sure they are sponsored by Apple big time!
    I watch Glee too....and LOVE IT.....Probably one of the best new shows of the season in a PAINFULLY light fall. I do NOT however do the whole Melrose Place/90210 deal. Didn't 10-15-20 years ago, don't now.
    I likey take apart thingies....
    Quote Originally Posted by tennenho View Post
    Who gives a sh!t what the name is? What's wrong with you people? Are you that insecure? A budget version of the pre, for consumers who don't care about a 3MP camera, a slider that twists, or wifi, and who like the option to easily customize their phones? Or those who had the Treo, Centro, or similar form-factor and are looking to update without changing too much from what they're used to?

Honestly. This is a great move from Palm, and anyone who doesn't see why is kind of an *****.
    Yet another unworthy post.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    while the name does matter, i don't think it matter that much. I had an htc mogul before this- what kind of name is mogul? Oh I'm rich so I buy a mogul phone? Hero, android, iphone, are all 'silly' names in my book, so palm just joins the club.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Yet another unworthy post.

How's that? I'm asking why on earth one would focus on the name, when the feature-set is a half step down from the Pre, and thus hits a similar market "sweet spot" to the one the Centro hit a few years ago? It's a smartphone for people who don't need their phone to do absolutely everything. It could be called the Palm "theownerofthisphoneisatool" and if it's great, it will sell.

Do you really need to tell anyone what your phone is called, if they love it, and you love it, and they ask? Just say it's a Palm, and it's from Sprint, and don't worry about it.
    Don't phones usually have a model number as well as a commonplace name? If the name is so offensive refer to it by the model number?

What's in a name anyhoo? Not much in my book. It seems some people are taking vanity to a new level.

"Oh, how I love thy form factor my dearest Pixie. But alas, thy name is so repulsive I cannot even tolerate to have thee seen at my side."
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast