Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Disclaimer at the end of the Palm Pixi's video on palm's website:

"Email, mobile number and related information required for setup and activation. Required data plan not included; unlimited plan strongly recommended. All screen images simulated."

Could this be a hint that a sprint "Everything" plan is not required? I sure hope so as it prevented me from getting the Pre.

Source:
    http://palm.cdnetworks.net/pixi/pixi...40x400_750.mov

Update: false alarm, apparently the same disclaimer is also on the Pre's video on palm's website and we all know that Sprint made getting its Everything Plan a requirement. Sorry for the false hope. Btw, my post was mainly to those who have unlimited data plan already won't be forced to "upgrade" to Sprint's Everything Plan.

Moderator can kill to this topic to avoid confusion
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by opacityzero; 09/11/2009 at 10:04 PM.
    Unless the WebOS on the pixi is VERY different from what is installed on the Pre, which I doubt, you would be very foolish to get one without one of the "Everything" plans.

The Pre isn't even available without one.

However, keep in mind that there are smaller everything plans than their $99 Simply Everything plan. They have cheaper Everythings plans that still have unlimited text data, GPS nav, and all of that, but limited minutes.

Right now I'm using the Everything Data plan with 450 minutes. With unlimited mobile to mobile to/from any carrier and unlimited nights and weekends, I have a hard time imagining ever using more than 450 regular minutes.
    no data plan on a device with no wifi? One word: Suicide.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    no data plan on a device with no wifi? One word: Suicide.
    You see? There you go. Every time I think I've managed a clear and to the point response, somebody comes and posts an even clearer response using 1/10th the words.

Let me try again....

no data plan + no wifi = no brain.
    even ATT has gotten the point. We no longer activate smartphones without a data plan. even if you own the device already. I got chewed out by a lady today...but hey, a smartphone with out the internet is not smart....

Last month, I thought about how much the the web-centric Pre would suck without a data plan (ie: traveling to Canada @ $2/Mb for ala-carte data). Well, without wifi to "catch up to the world" occasionally, a Pixie without a data plan would offer little to no value over a dumb phone.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    Last month, I thought about how much the the web-centric Pre would suck without a data plan (ie: traveling to Canada @ $2/Mb for ala-carte data). Well, without wifi to "catch up to the world" occasionally, a Pixie without a data plan would offer little to no value over a dumb phone.
    Seriously....But I talk to people everyday that want an Iphone with pay per use data....I'll never understand...

Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    Seriously....But I talk to people everyday that want an Iphone with pay per use data....I'll never understand...
    Those kind of people (besides being cheap) want it for what it is, not what it can do.
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    Data plan required, unlimited talk plan encouraged. It says it right there.
    +1 on smartphones without a data plan = fail. Given Sprint's coverage and strength here in the US the Pixi's exclusion of WiFi isn't really a deal breaker, but I guess it was necessary to accomplish the form factor they were able to accomplish (bare with me here.. it's 4AM as I post this... so my wording is gonna be less than optimal). I already have my Pre, but if I didn't I might have considered a Pixi, I dunno. I just wanted to desperately leave AT&T since they suck donkey nuts pricewise.
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    There are many people (myself included) who want most of the great things that come in an integrated device such as a smartphone. I bought my Centro NOT for the unlimited internet access; I bought it for phone, contacts, calendar, and music. Before my Centro, that meant THREE devices! Since I teach in a computer lab all day, my need for data on my phone is very limited. When I travel on vacation for weeks at a time, I turn on my $30 unlimited data plan w/ATT, and then turn it back off when I return.

I also refuse to be sucked into the "social networking" scene. I know who my friends are and if I want them to know something about me, I'll email, text, or (heaven forbid!) actually call them and talk to them! For those that need to update the world on their every move, maybe they do need that constant connection to the world, and I say that without being critical. Please realize, however, that there are millions of us out here who are just as tech-savvy who CHOOSE not to be in that world and therefore, don't need the constant connection.

I can truly understand those who want an iPhone without the data. For some of us, it makes all the sense in the world.
    tim
    I agree with you sir. I use my Treo Pro b/c I'm able to get my exchange email instantly, now back a year ago that I was still going to class (working on a graduate program) I would be updated via email, now I mostly use my Treo Pro for fun...I also didn't know the $30 data plan could be turned off at will?
    I had my $20 data plan on my iPhone 1st gen turned off until now when I got my Pre. I think it's only possible to turn off the data plan on a 1st gen iPhone. As for other phones, I have no clue, though IMHO it sounds unrealistic.
    I tought so, since they always ask you (GSM Treos) for the IMEI no. and once they register that in their network (at&t) I don't know if they'll allow u to just take the data plan off, unless you'll be going pay-per-use data (crazily expensive).
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chestvrg View Post
    I agree with you sir. I use my Treo Pro b/c I'm able to get my exchange email instantly, now back a year ago that I was still going to class (working on a graduate program) I would be updated via email, now I mostly use my Treo Pro for fun...I also didn't know the $30 data plan could be turned off at will?
    Yes, and I just checked it again, to make sure it was still there on the website. I log into my wireless account on ATT, go to where I can add or drop features, and there is an option called PDA personal, which is unlimited data for $30 per month. Since I already have unlimited messaging for all 5 phones on my account, I don't have to pay the $50 for unlimited data plus messaging.

Way back when, I remember a guy on TreoCentral that had a great scheme. He would switch his sim over to his old dumb-phone, wait a couple of hours, and then log into his wireless account. His dumb-phone now showed up automatically on his account (I can't say I know what technology ATT uses to determine that) and his options and prices all changed for the lower, because ATT knows no one is going to pay a lot for data on a dumb-phone. He would choose the data plan for $15 a month, exit his wireless account, and then swap the sim back into his smart-phone. I can't say that this works, as I have never tried it, but he swears it did!
    tim
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiggitay View Post
    I had my $20 data plan on my iPhone 1st gen turned off until now when I got my Pre. I think it's only possible to turn off the data plan on a 1st gen iPhone. As for other phones, I have no clue, though IMHO it sounds unrealistic.
    When I bought my Centro, the only stipulation was I had to have their data plan for at least 6 months. After that, it was up to me. I would never have bought it if it was forced for the entire contract. That's why I never bought a Treo before that; I just can't justify that kind of expense when I work in a computer lab all day!
    tim
    Yeah I'm sure it works too. afterall at&t all they want is to charge the extra money. I have a lot of at&t dumb phone lingering (like 3)...and then you tell me, doesn't a dumb phone consumes as much data as a samrtphone does. Imagine watching Cellular Video for aleast 30 min/day (thats like 30MB of data usage in just 30min streaming videos the size of 5MB to 7MB in size...now all I get on my Treo Pro is emails and surf the web (I don't stream), so in reality I waist less data (having a smartphone) than a dumb phone & in the end pay more...OMG
    Tell me about it, I pay already the $89.99/mo for 900 mins on top of my unlimitted text/data and then I was even considering getting the early nights/weekends ($8.99 more).

I'm afraid to take off my data, fearing I'll be charged pay-per-use and I don't want to be that iPhone guy on youtube who got a $5,000 bill from at&t.
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Just for fun, I slapped my sim into an old Samsung phone. I called myself from my home phone, then waited about 45 minutes. I logged back into ATT Wireless, and there it was. It showed my Samsung phone on my account (instead of the Centro that was there an hour before) and under the features, I could get the unlimited data for $15 a month. Now, I am not telling anyone to do this, nor did I choose it for myself; I simply wanted to see if the guy from a long while back was blowing smoke or not. He wasn't. The only thing I don't know is, if ATT would automatically up the charge to $30 as soon as you put your sim back in your smartphone, or would someone have to manually inspect your account and do something about it.

Like I said in my previous post, having the ability to turn it on and off is a MUST for me. If the Pixi mandates always on, I will wait and get by with my Centro. It's been a great phone for 18 months, and it still does what I bought it for originally.
    tim
    I will try the samething also. I will put in my SIM on my 3G samsung now...but will check my at&t account first to see if it updates in like 30mts.
    Chester Vargas - Palm VII, Handspring Visor, T2, T3, TX, Treo 650, 680, 750, Treo Pro ==> iPhone 3GS 32GB ==> Pre Plus at&t ==> Pixi Plus at&t ==> Pre Plus at&t
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast