Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Maybe I'm the only one, but I find myself just enamored with the design of the Pixi. It's as minimalist as you can get while still maintaining a full physical QWERTY - the gesture area has the little light bar that replaces the Pre's button - the elongated slate form factor with a full-gloss front and textured rubberized back. I mean, the thing's beautiful. It's like a cooler version of a Star Trek PADD.

Love my Pre, and won't be trading down, but this is gonna be a slick-looking device to see on the street. Anyone agree?
    AGREED....will not dropp my Pre but definately will be trading out my wife's Rant for this phone so we have WebOS phones together. She will like this form factor better, its stylish and I feel it will hold up to abuse a bit more, as she is a bit rougher on her phones then I am.
    Its a Pre Nano with a permanently opened slider. hehe.

I don't dig the "Sprint" logo on the top right corner of the phone... It is at least hidden on the Pre on the back mirror.
    I prefer the Pixi form factor over the Pre, as the Pixi is closer to my current Moto-Q phone design. I've never used a phone with a slide-out keyboard, but I imagine it would get irritating having to slide the keyboard in and out frequently. Having the exposed keyboard would certainly make it easier to type a quick message or email in a boring meeting very indiscretely! So long as the battery life is good and the phone works well as a "phone", the Pixi might be a good choice for me. The best part, is still the WebOS!
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    I prefer the fixed keyboard design, but not the fact that the keyboard appears to be even more cramped than the Pre-board. And not the fact that it still has a too small battery, and no memory expansion. And definitely not the fact that it has no wi-fi. Can I live without wi-fi? Sure. But it's a pretty basic feature on today's smart phones, and I think all of the Pixi's competition will have the feature.

Finally, as an average male, I'm not sure I can carry a phone called a "Pixi." Are they going to do a marketing tie-in with Disney, and have Tinker Bell endorse it? Will fairy dust fall out of the box when you open it? I mean, really, give me a break.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I love the design. I can easily forgive the smaller screen. I can rationalize the missing WiFi. I can dismiss the so-so camera. But I can not ignore the significantly slower processor or the (probable) lack of RAM. That would kill the webOS experience for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    I like the design and I wouldn't mind having the phone. I just don't like that its only on Sprint.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    I'll be sold if the Pixi had:

- a different name.
    - slightly thicker for; better battery, bigger processor.
    - slightly larger screen.
    - a little longer and wider for a bigger keyboard wouldn't hurt a bit.
    - at least a 3MP camera.

Basically if the Pre was in this form factor I'd be SOOOOLD. Just my 2 cents.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    I think it is pretty slick. I plan on getting one for my wife after the initial rush and the holidays.
  10. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    I like the candy bar design.
    Love the design but won't like a cramped keyboard as someone in a previous post mentioned.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I like the new design personally. Will it pull me away from my Pre, hell no, but for people who like candy bar phones, it's a good deal.

Also, Palm is smart in offering a "cheaper" Pre. Basically, you get the same basic WebOS functionality, in a cheaper package, for your everyday user.

I think it's a great way to hit both markets for the phone. All those Palm Centro lovers (Palm sold millions of them), will be all over this phone.
    Sprint Employee Disclaimer
    My replies and comments contain my opinion on the matters which have been posted, and do not represent the rules, policies and regulations of my employer and should not be taken as such.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deval View Post
    I think it's a great way to hit both markets for the phone. All those Palm Centro lovers (Palm sold millions of them), will be all over this phone.
    Not all of them. Some Centro lovers were/are more attached to the relatively stable implementation of a PalmOS smartphone than the form factor. Plus there was no middle ground between the Centro and the old brick sized Treos.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Not all of them. Some Centro lovers were/are more attached to the relatively stable implementation of a PalmOS smartphone than the form factor. Plus there was no middle ground between the Centro and the old brick sized Treos.
    True, but when those people look to upgrade, and are shown the benefits of WebOS, in a form-factor they can embrace, they can be converted over
    My replies and comments contain my opinion on the matters which have been posted, and do not represent the rules, policies and regulations of my employer and should not be taken as such.
    Palm is pretty stupid to name this phone the Pixi IMO. Even though it wouldn't deter me from buying the phone, the vast majority of men out there will not carry a phone around that has the name Pixi.

It's going to hurt sales, guaranteed. Clean design, great OS, horrible name.
    The Pixi makes me want to jump back on board for Palm
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
    Quote Originally Posted by Deval View Post
    True, but when those people look to upgrade, and are shown the benefits of WebOS, in a form-factor they can embrace, they can be converted over
    I have a Centro and any reluctance I have to adopt WebOS is not really related to the Pre's form factor (build quality is a concern though). Not being a Sprint customer and not wanting to become one is a major factor holding me back but if I was a Sprint customer using a Centro, I am not sure how tempted I would be by the Pixi. It has the same 3G radio and the same lack of Wi-Fi. I would gain multi-tasking and a decent Web browser but lose my PIM software, Pocket Quicken and what is IMHO the best smartphone email client (Chattermail).
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    This would include me as one of those who has used PalmOS for so long, it will be difficult to change. However, the many benefits of WebOS and the better music management, etc., will be what makes me switch over AS SOON AS THEY GET GSM!!!
    tim
    Not in love. I like the form factor but hate the keyboard.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I have a Centro and any reluctance I have to adopt WebOS is not really related to the Pre's form factor (build quality is a concern though). Not being a Sprint customer and not wanting to become one is a major factor holding me back but if I was a Sprint customer using a Centro, I am not sure how tempted I would be by the Pixi. It has the same 3G radio and the same lack of Wi-Fi. I would gain multi-tasking and a decent Web browser but lose my PIM software, Pocket Quicken and what is IMHO the best smartphone email client (Chattermail).
    Out of curiosity, why would you not want to be a Sprint customer?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast