Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sprint_fan View Post
    thanks! and finally a standard between multiple manufacturers! most newer sprint phones have the lotus and pre charger, so hopefully most phones will either have the mini or micro usb charger. great for usb cables! I am also a fan of the usb charger of the pre and lotus. it lets me charge my ipod whenever i have my phone charger around, and without my computer!

just heads up- all the major smartphone makers (including APPLE- is i recall...) made a deal with the European union that all phones sold there moving forward would use usb (micro or mini- i forget) as the standard charge port.

Basically someone figured out that it's stupid that we have 10 different chargers lying around for our gizmo's and what's worse is that when you get a new gizmo you frequently can't reuse the old charger so that's one more bit of electronic waste in the landfills. Longer term once it's been a standard for a while I beleive there was an agreement that chargers would no longer be included in the packaging so that you would only get one if you needed it and you wouldn't wind up with one to throw out every time you get a new phone. You could even shop around for a more efficient universal charger if you cared to and use that on all your phones.

As far as I know there's no such requirement in the US- but one would assume that at a minimum any phone sold in the US and Europe would come with USB (why fiddle with 2 models) and then it makes just as much sense if much of the world standardizes on one plug that it is just cheaper and easier for the phone people to use that accross their model lines.

So sort of like europe mandated GSM and it wound up being used voluntarily in many other parts of the world.

maybe there will be a movement to just make the usb plug work for everything (as an example why the hec is there a different plug for a Gameboy, a DS, and a DSi when all can be charged from a USB cable with an adapter today...)
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gage006 View Post
    I've been saying forever that if Research in Motion came out with a touch screen Blackberry with the keyboard in tact they'd have a hit. Glad to see Palm is going to own that space instead.
    Samsung keeps trying to make winmo phones with that formfactor but winmo just blows so much they dont seem to get any traction. So there's more to it than the form factor- the OS has to not suck. Palm has known how to make a touch screen OS forever now- not sure RIM figured it out yet with that storm based on all the complaints....

As far as winmo verizon has had the saga for over a year now, att has had the epix(i think that's what they call it...) for longer, and sprint is now rolling out the interpid. Overseas there's a gsm model that I think predates them all - maybe the i880?

So samsung has been trying (actually i wonder if samsung is attempting to fill the void that palm left by abandoning winmo treo's or if maybe samsungs forays at all factored in to why palm decided to bail on winmo treo's as soon as they did before webos phones are availible all over.)

I can't for the life of me figure out why HTC hasn't made their own winmo touchscreen with a front facing keyboard- I wonder if their deal with Palm to make the winmo treos how some non-compete clause. HTC has non-touch treo like phones and tons of touch screens but none with both.

To me- the treo/centro/pixi form factor is perfection. I'd tweak the keyboard for sure, I'd prefer a larger screen on the pixi, and probably would like wifi too. But the form factor probably over rides any reservations on those other things.
    I heard about the charger thing in Europe a little bit ago on Cnet. I am glad for that, although Sprint seems to at least have somewhat of the same chargers. If I am not mistaken, the charging port on the Lotus, Rant (tried a charger with my Lotus), Pre, and now Pixi are the same, not to mention any other ones that are also this charging port. At least if you stay with Sprint phones you might expect something of the same. And Blackberry's are a standard mini USB, which is also nice, but it doesn't seem that any other company really stuck to any one charging port besides Apple.
    Is it true that the 2MP camera has a flash?
    http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External...xUeXBlPTM=&t=1

Please have the off/on ringer switch...
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister View Post
    Is it true that the 2MP camera has a flash?
    http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External...xUeXBlPTM=&t=1

Please have the off/on ringer switch...
    yes it has a flash and yes it has the switch.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Pixi supposed to have 4 GB? If so, it looks like they upped from 4 GB to 8GB. Here's the link I've been following from twitter http://palm.cdnetworks.net/PhoneComparisonChart1026.pdf
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longster View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Pixi supposed to have 4 GB? If so, it looks like they upped from 4 GB to 8GB. Here's the link I've been following from twitter http://palm.cdnetworks.net/PhoneComparisonChart1026.pdf
    It was always 8gb. The demo units only have 4gb I believe but they always said that was just because it was a demo and the real version will have 8.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I'm a current Centro owner on Verizon due for an upgrade and am one of probably thousands on the fence between waiting for Verizon to get the new Palm hardware and jumping to, say, the Droid Eris.

Android seems to be "too much"...almost another computer that I need to individualize; Palm devices are very appliance-like and are among the best PHONES I've ever used (whereas the BlackBerry Tour I returned after a week was awful for talking). What I'm looking for is better web browsing (and any of these new device will have that over my Centro), good calendar/reminders with automatic Google sync (again...all devices do that these days), and "pocketability" (the Pixi is the best device I've seen so far for that, with the Eris a strong second based on its description).

On paper the Pixi is the perfect Centro replacement and will be reading all I can about the device on Sprint when it comes out on the 15th. I'm hoping the forthcoming 1.2.9/1.3.x updates fix the Pre (and therefore Pixi) lag issues I see as a common complaint on these forums and that the Pixi will gain hopefully better battery life as a tradeoff for the its lesser processor capability.

And please don't try to get me to switch to Sprint...I'm on VZW on a corporate discount, have many friends and family members on Verizon, and am happy with my service.

Voch
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by voch View Post
    I'm a current Centro owner on Verizon due for an upgrade and am one of probably thousands on the fence between waiting for Verizon to get the new Palm hardware and jumping to, say, the Droid Eris.

Android seems to be "too much"...almost another computer that I need to individualize; Palm devices are very appliance-like and are among the best PHONES I've ever used (whereas the BlackBerry Tour I returned after a week was awful for talking). What I'm looking for is better web browsing (and any of these new device will have that over my Centro), good calendar/reminders with automatic Google sync (again...all devices do that these days), and "pocketability" (the Pixi is the best device I've seen so far for that, with the Eris a strong second based on its description).

On paper the Pixi is the perfect Centro replacement and will be reading all I can about the device on Sprint when it comes out on the 15th. I'm hoping the forthcoming 1.2.9/1.3.x updates fix the Pre (and therefore Pixi) lag issues I see as a common complaint on these forums and that the Pixi will gain hopefully better battery life as a tradeoff for the its lesser processor capability.

And please don't try to get me to switch to Sprint...I'm on VZW on a corporate discount, have many friends and family members on Verizon, and am happy with my service.

Voch
    As I read your post, I swear you were writing it for me, with the exception of switching ATT with Verizon! The reasons you listed are EXACTLY what I am looking for when I replace my Centro, and I have 5 phones on my ATT plan; I really don't want the learning curve of re-teaching my in-laws on their two new phones because I went to a CDMA network and had to switch theirs with it!

I'm taking the optimistic path: by the time the GSM version comes to ATT, they will have most of the bugs worked out. (That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. )
    tim
    I am dropping my Pre for the Pixi...i've done the math and it makes sense to me. i am not an avid youtuber and i don't do many intensive games on my pre. I jumped on the Pre ship too soon and now I am jumping ship again. This time to something that really suits me. Despite the name, the Pixi has everything I need. it's texter friendly and it will be able to do simple web surfing. I use the calender a lot and simple apps to track sports, news, and movies. Heck, i may even get into facebooking if it seems simple enough.

so on Nov 15, i'm either buying a Pixi out right, or cancelling my current Pre contract and starting a new one. I have done the android deal and that is just too much OS for me. I love WebOS and the Devs no exactly what we want. It's not iPhone childish and its not overly complicated like the Droid. Simpe. Sweet. To the point.

Pixi FTW!
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall View Post
    I love the design. I can easily forgive the smaller screen. I can rationalize the missing WiFi. I can dismiss the so-so camera. But I can not ignore the significantly slower processor or the (probable) lack of RAM. That would kill the webOS experience for me.
    I imagine the Pixi 2 would have Pre specs... now that would be a solid phone!
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thedonk13 View Post
    I am dropping my Pre for the Pixi...i've done the math and it makes sense to me. i am not an avid youtuber and i don't do many intensive games on my pre. I jumped on the Pre ship too soon and now I am jumping ship again. This time to something that really suits me. Despite the name, the Pixi has everything I need. it's texter friendly and it will be able to do simple web surfing. I use the calender a lot and simple apps to track sports, news, and movies. Heck, i may even get into facebooking if it seems simple enough.

so on Nov 15, i'm either buying a Pixi out right, or cancelling my current Pre contract and starting a new one. I have done the android deal and that is just too much OS for me. I love WebOS and the Devs no exactly what we want. It's not iPhone childish and its not overly complicated like the Droid. Simpe. Sweet. To the point.

Pixi FTW!
    I wish I could be a little more decisive like you; I can't seem to accept the fact that choosing the Palm Pixi will guarantee a loss in speed, large display, and the Pre 3MP camera.

Good man, I'm still tempted; the Palm Pixi's form factor is attractive and the back covers are really nice.
    I have this feeling that long term, the Pixi will outsell the Pre. Reasoning below:

+ Price point: $99 with 2-yr agreement: Great price. But not truly essential.

+ The new built-in apps like LinkedIn and upgraded Facebook and who knows what else. Another good reason to buy, but still not essential to Pixi's longevity. (Software changes faster than hardware, of course.)

+ 2MP camera and no WI-FI? Sure, that's a bummer. But 2MP is "good enough" and WI-FI can wait. Plus, Sprint has phone & data plans to sell while both Sprint and Palm need to get their financial houses in order.

but rather...

+ Form factor and design:

// Candybar design: Who's to say in a about a year, the Pixi will get the same screen real estate as the Pre? I mean, the first Treos (Treo 180, IIRC and Treo 300) were flip phones and look how well that turned out!

// Thin is in. Personally, I like my phones thick and heavy (less easier to loose) but I'm not complaining. If we wait a bit, 3rd parties will make extended batteries with new back covers (with or without Touchstone technology) to make it more "weighty," for starters.

// Room for improvement. Notice how there are less buttons on the sides of the Pixi? I predict that the Pixi sequel will have a Wi-FI button and Micro SD card slot and possibly even more goodies down the road.

Translation: I think the Pre is the guinea pig. I'll bet Palm developed the Pixi first before the Pre, because the Pre is an iPhone clone, a "me too" device. As others have conjectured on this forum, notice how the Treo Pro looks like the distant relative of the Pixi? That's called evolution, not revolution. And that's no accident.

Treo 300--> Treo 600--> Treo 650--> Treo 800w-> Palm Pixi
    Last edited by KevMeister; 11/03/2009 at 11:15 PM.
    i love the look but wish it had wifi and better processor and maybe a bigger screen
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I prefer the fixed keyboard design, but not the fact that the keyboard appears to be even more cramped than the Pre-board. And not the fact that it still has a too small battery, and no memory expansion. And definitely not the fact that it has no wi-fi. Can I live without wi-fi? Sure. But it's a pretty basic feature on today's smart phones, and I think all of the Pixi's competition will have the feature.

Finally, as an average male, I'm not sure I can carry a phone called a "Pixi." Are they going to do a marketing tie-in with Disney, and have Tinker Bell endorse it? Will fairy dust fall out of the box when you open it? I mean, really, give me a break.
    So let me get this straight.. You're not going to get a phone because of it's name?
    Centro was introduced a little over two years ago so maybe lots of these owners who's contracts are up might buy Pixi.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    I was wondering about the importance of WiFi. I use it constantly when home because it's always connected, but honestly, the EVDO rev A modem is a really good performer.

I am going to try not using WiFi for few days to see if I see a drastic difference.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    Centro was introduced a little over two years ago so maybe lots of these owners who's contracts are up might buy Pixi.

Good Luck
    That'd be me!

Waiting for this stuff to shake out on Verizon though. And weighing between Palm Pixi (elegant smaller device that does all of what I want to do) versus Android (it's here as of tomorrow for Verizon users but is overkill for what I want)....not that I want to spark that debate in this thread.
    Last edited by voch; 11/05/2009 at 10:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by voch View Post
    That'd be me!

Waiting for this stuff to shake out on Verizon though. And weighing between Palm Pixi (elegant smaller device that does all of what I want to do) versus Android (it's here as of tomorrow for Verizon users but is overkill for what I want)....not that I want to spark that debate in this thread.
    I've been checking out the Storm2 at Verizon.
    Big Screen
    All PIMs sync directly with Outlook

I'm having a difficult time embracing this cloud thing. But I keep trying - both my son and daughter-in-law have the Pre and I'm using it each time they visit.

Good luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    jumping on the pixi bandwagon next sunday !
    i LOVE the hardware.
    and has it been proven that with normal, daily usage the "slower" processor actually performs much worse?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast