Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post

WiFi isn't going to interest me as much as...
    the wifi thing is funny to me. 2 of my last 3 phones have had wifi (the one in between was a centro). I had the wifi's for around 20+ months between them. I think I used wifi about 6 times total just to see if it worked and to play around for 10 minutes. That was it. So i dont think I'd miss it at all never having used it.

BUT it seems like a step backwards so that messes with my mind.

And I also have a concern that the webos constant connection thing might benefit a bunch from wifi. The one thing tht sticks in my head are the updates- when I want the latest build I want it now (issues i know- laughing)- so having wifi to suck it down right then would be nice.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
    .... but I stand by my original conjecture for this reason: Barbie dolls are marketed to girls; no one expects boys to be a big market for them. EVERYONE has a phone, and this is going to be (for many) their first smartphone, just as the Centro was for me. I just don't understand why Palm would do this on their FIRST non-slider WebOS device. Maybe six months in...?....
    there's some merit to that logic but maybe they think the market is big enough to segment? Most people in the 'burbs have cars. But they market different vehicles to men and women.

then to argue with myself - being the ONLY non-slider webos device is an issue i guess. But maybe we can all be happy and my mythical larger screened, wifi, slab will show up in january and be called EOS. Now THAT we could ALL love!

hmmm, didn't they find bits of code in the source with 3 device names??? Was one just the GSM version?
    can't wait for it.... already got my pre soold.
    i mean sold
    I'm torn. I am very disappointed with the quality of the Pre's slider, but I use WiFi heavily.

If the Pixi had WiFi, I'd be all over it. If the Palm could figure out how to make a Pre that doesn't feel like a cheap, flimsy toy, I'd never look back.

Well, not until we see what Pink will have to offer, anyway.
    sweet
    I love the Pixi design, actually. The keyboard looks great, especially since they say that they keys are more clicky than the Pre (yay!). The entire body looks awesome, too, and having the light bar instead of the button for the Pixi looks amazing. I only wish it had WiFi, because then it would be fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    ....will not dropp my Pre but definately will be trading out my wife's Rant for this phone so we have WebOS phones together.
    Agreed, only my wife is ditching the Instinct from Sprint...she got a Blackberry without trying it first, and was amazed at the ugly, dated interface. HA. After using my shiny new Pre, she fell in love with WebOS. She can't wait to get her Pixi!! Honestly, I'm a little excited as well.
    where is the standard charging port? I am sure that by the the wife and I will have two touchstones at the house. But since I am not too sure of putting a touchstone in my car or hers for that matter, I was wondering if the standard charging port will have the same useless little sliding door covering it...Dieter? anyone that got hands on?
    Palm 105--->Samsung i-300--->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 300 (still has the best keyboard)-->Treo 755p-->Palm PRE-->Treo 680(unlocked by me)--->iPhone 3G---->iPhone 4---->Hp Pre3
    are they keeping the same charging port as the pre? the standard usb port? now that would be nice! i believe my lotus uses the same charging port, so that would be a plus to have two chargers.
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    It'll be the same port. Micro usb is supposed to be the new standard for all phones coming out. As far as the cover, as much as I hate that flimsy door, I don't see them getting rid of it simply because it makes the phone look much better than leaving it open. Palm is really pushing the touchstone tech.

edit: Maybe i'm wrong. That flap at the bottom looks like it'd be where the charging port is.
    thanks! and finally a standard between multiple manufacturers! most newer sprint phones have the lotus and pre charger, so hopefully most phones will either have the mini or micro usb charger. great for usb cables! I am also a fan of the usb charger of the pre and lotus. it lets me charge my ipod whenever i have my phone charger around, and without my computer!
    one last thing about the hardware: i hope it doesnt feel as cheap as the pre. i guess plastic would be fine for a phone in this price point, but i will definitely be getting a case if it is slick and cheap feeling like the pre! just my opinion
    fantastic form factor. love the rubberized back - they shouldve done that for the pre.

i think its like a better HTC Dash (old version). just the smaller screen is not as conducive for web browsing.

lovely design, though. prob my fav of ANY phone out there - current or coming
    I think it rocks and would agree with others not interested in switching with their Pres, but it still looks solid and a great addition to the Palm line.

Pixie may not work name wise, but it should be a great addition to lack luster handheld phones with no smartphone or limited functionality. I know tones of people still using basic phones with numeric keypads and no option to do much of anything else simply because they don't have touchscreens.

I'm also hoping Sprint does well enough with the unit to continue moving them out of the hole they dug themselves into. I actually think Sprint is great, but Palm needs more help and waiting till January is a long way to travel for more carriers, especially when Apple opens the iPhone to other providers. Sorli...
    Love, love, love the form factor. Enough that I can overlook the smaller screen. Not so sure I can overlook the missing WiFi.

Further, people bemoan the processor. 1) It's multi-purposed multi-core, so maybe it won't be too bad. 2) Slower often equals less battery consumption.

Finally, I see the super-slim form factor as an excuse to decide between sexy-slim or throwing the monster battery in with an extended case. With the 2600 mAh (?) battery from Seidio, the Pixi would still just be average thickness! Imagine a webOS device that was still reasonably slim but with redonkulous battery life over other smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Love, love, love the form factor. Enough that I can overlook the smaller screen. Not so sure I can overlook the missing WiFi.

Further, people bemoan the processor. 1) It's multi-purposed multi-core, so maybe it won't be too bad. 2) Slower often equals less battery consumption.

Finally, I see the super-slim form factor as an excuse to decide between sexy-slim or throwing the monster battery in with an extended case. With the 2600 mAh (?) battery from Seidio, the Pixi would still just be average thickness! Imagine a webOS device that was still reasonably slim but with redonkulous battery life over other smartphones.

Agreed! I love the form factor , but it might be just a little bit too thin. The extended battery will not only give it great battery life, but would be a good thickness, too!
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    My concern with pixi is the keyboard. Its the same as the treo pro, which was the worst keyboard i have ever used (i own the pre). The keys don't have any curving at all which makes typing very awkward. This was the thing i hated most about the treo pro (other than windows mobile). Just my thoughts.
    I heard that the keys on the Pixi are more clicky, not sure if that makes a difference. We will just have to see how the keys are, because there are mixed reviews of how they are and how they compare to the Pre.
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    I've been saying forever that if Research in Motion came out with a touch screen Blackberry with the keyboard in tact they'd have a hit. Glad to see Palm is going to own that space instead.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast