Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    If it still had the Wifi, I'd give my girlfriend my Pre and get the Pixi myself. But it doesn't and that's a deal breaker for me. So my girlfriend is picking up the Pixi instead, haha.
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glomgold View Post
    Palm is pretty stupid to name this phone the Pixi IMO. Even though it wouldn't deter me from buying the phone, the vast majority of men out there will not carry a phone around that has the name Pixi.

It's going to hurt sales, guaranteed. Clean design, great OS, horrible name.
    Who cares? It's not like it says Pixi on it anywhere in bright pink or something. All it says is Palm, just like the Pre.
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deval View Post
    Out of curiosity, why would you not want to be a Sprint customer?
    I can't speak for anyone else, but in SW Michigan, their coverage is pitiful.
    tim
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    i dunno.. I think my husband will be getting this as his upgrade and trading me...
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I have a Centro and any reluctance I have to adopt WebOS is not really related to the Pre's form factor (build quality is a concern though). Not being a Sprint customer and not wanting to become one is a major factor holding me back but if I was a Sprint customer using a Centro, I am not sure how tempted I would be by the Pixi. It has the same 3G radio and the same lack of Wi-Fi. I would gain multi-tasking and a decent Web browser but lose my PIM software, Pocket Quicken and what is IMHO the best smartphone email client (Chattermail).
    The Centro uses an EVDO rev 0 radio. The Pixi uses an EVDO rev A radio, so no, they do not have the same 3G radio.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Deval View Post
    Out of curiosity, why would you not want to be a Sprint customer?
    Primarily because they are not GSM but if I was willing to switch back to CDMA, I would probably go with Verizon because of the better network and possibly customer service.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    The Centro uses an EVDO rev 0 radio. The Pixi uses an EVDO rev A radio, so no, they do not have the same 3G radio.
    I stand corrected. However they both do have an EVDO 3G radio supporting the same frequencies. The GSM Centro is strictly 2G, presumably any GSM Pixi or Pre will support some sort of 3G.
    I like it, I think it will do well. As a former Centro user, if I didn't already have the Pre, I'd be tempted. I'd want to see what the performance is like though.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    I am in love, yes. Makes me sad that the combination of screen, power, and lack of wifi will keep me from switching.
    pre hardware in that form factor and i would be kicking my self in the **** for buying the pre
    Prē *********♥
    1Ghz
    Pixi *********♥
    Patched up
    (Gone)
    Now on a Samsung Epic
    *Creator of the best thread on precentral*

RIP

I showed it to Wifey, who's not a "phone person" but has told me she wants my Pre when I inevitably upgrade. She looked at it for about 1/2 second and said..."I don't like the keyboard in front, and the screen's too small".

And I'm much too manly to get a phone called "Pixi" (and don't want to reduce my screen size - my eyes are way too old), so it looks like the Pixi's a pass in my house.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Nope. It's borrrrrrrrrrring!!!!
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    - I wonder if we didn’t have society how many of you could form your own opinion naturally...Why does Pink have to be girly etc..live for yourself and not by the standards the world sets,
    I mean gosh what if they said owning a keyboard phone was ONLY for woman would you men throw your phones away I mean it just sad how weak minded people are and how easily they are controlled and how things are instilled in them and they run with it..

pink is a color, not a definitive feature off being a "man" or "woman"
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    I think guys confuse being manly with being insecure in their manhood. It would be your phone, not your boyfriend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shado.F View Post
    I'll be sold if the Pixi had:

- a different name.
    - slightly thicker for; better battery, bigger processor.
    - slightly larger screen.
    - a little longer and wider for a bigger keyboard wouldn't hurt a bit.
    - at least a 3MP camera.

Basically if the Pre was in this form factor I'd be SOOOOLD. Just my 2 cents.
    Lets see all the places where this post is totally off:

- slightly thicker for; better battery, bigger processor.
    Bigger maybe for a heavier battery, but bigger processor...are you serious...processor is about speed/capaiblity/architecture not "bigness". maybe you should get a Pentium and return the newer Quad processor.

- at least a 3MP camera.
    more MP isnt always a "better picture" ask any camera enthusiast. Plus more MP mean bigger files...its a phone not Canon/Sear's Photography

- slightly larger screen.
    - a little longer and wider for a bigger keyboard wouldn't hurt a bit.
    Compared to the Centro (which IS the market they are really pushing for), the Screen and Keyboard are much bigger. The Centro keyboard SUCKED!

So all in all this phone is perfect for the market it is trying to reach....WiFi would be nice but not mandatory. The real test for Palm is coming soon...and that is in the replacement of the high-end business market using the WinMo Treo Pro.....
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    DJeremyC, you have good points there. When I was stating my opinion though, it was more of a "if they had made a phone this way I'd be sold." Nothing more, and nothing less. Regards to the processor being big, lets not be completely technical. I'm not talking about the actual physical size. But I do agree with you.

I've come to realize about the name .. "Pixi" ... well some men are sensitive. I personally am not going to disregard the phone because of it's name. It's like saying you shouldn't befriend another guy because his name is Ruby.

If the world is like this, I might as well call my Uncle Tina and tell him to change his name or convert over to the opposite sex.
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    From a STRICTLY BUSINESS perspective, ANYTHING you do that causes people to exclude your product from consideration is poor. I am about as "non-macho" as it gets, including supporting most women's and GLT issues, but from a purely marketing point-of-view, the Pixi is a terrible name choice, simply because of the number of (so-called) macho guys who can't get past the name. If they were releasing two identical phones, one called Pixi, the other Eos (or whatever), then I would say it made sense, because everyone could be comfortable with it.
    Hell, I'll probably bow to pressure once in a while myself and refer to it as the "non-slider Pre"!
    tim
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
    From a STRICTLY BUSINESS perspective, ANYTHING you do that causes people to exclude your product from consideration is poor. I am about as "non-macho" as it gets, including supporting most women's and GLT issues, but from a purely marketing point-of-view, the Pixi is a terrible name choice, simply because of the number of (so-called) macho guys who can't get past the name. If they were releasing two identical phones, one called Pixi, the other Eos (or whatever), then I would say it made sense, because everyone could be comfortable with it.
    Hell, I'll probably bow to pressure once in a while myself and refer to it as the "non-slider Pre"!
    I'd respectfully disagree. There's no problem excluding a particular market segment if you think that it will produce more sales than you lose in another market segment. It's not a zero sum game.

personally i could give a rats but about the name but as an example if they thought that calling it EOS would sell to 1 million woman and 2 million men but calling it Pixi sells to 3 million woman but only 1 million men than it's a good thing.

They make barbie dolls all pink for a reason. The doll is stacked so dressing it like a pole dancer might sell to more boys but then you'd loose even more sales to girls since it wasn't pink and frilly. So they focus it on little girls and make it pink and laugh all the way to the bank with the franchise.

Myself, I'm way more hung up on the screen not being the same pixel count as the pre and lacking the wifi. If I can get past that then who cares if it's a called pixie.

It took years for people to know that my Treo's were called treo''s and not just "a palm"- so if people ask and I gave a ratts but and they asked "what's that?"- I'll just tell them "the new Palm web OS phone". People looked at my centro and asked what it was- I could try to tell them "centro" but no one knows what that was either. So most times it wound up being "the next generation treo" or "a new shrunk treo". If I had a Pre and my peers asked me what that is and I said "a pre"- they would say "a pre what?" it would be like "who's on first" all over again.

At this point I'm basically trying to decide if a top end enterprise webos device is coming along to replace the winmo treo's now that they are officially short for this world. Can I get 10-12 months out of a pixie before the one I want with wifi comes along or should or not.

all just my 2 cents- so take it for what it's worth. ;-)
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Regarding the 80 pixels less on the Pixi, besides the smaller screen size and all, isn't there a benefit to that? Smaller, slimmer device in general and possibly less dead pixel problems?
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    I'd respectfully disagree. There's no problem excluding a particular market segment if you think that it will produce more sales than you lose in another market segment. It's not a zero sum game.

personally i could give a rats but about the name but as an example if they thought that calling it EOS would sell to 1 million woman and 2 million men but calling it Pixi sells to 3 million woman but only 1 million men than it's a good thing.

They make barbie dolls all pink for a reason. The doll is stacked so dressing it like a pole dancer might sell to more boys but then you'd loose even more sales to girls since it wasn't pink and frilly. So they focus it on little girls and make it pink and laugh all the way to the bank with the franchise.

Myself, I'm way more hung up on the screen not being the same pixel count as the pre and lacking the wifi. If I can get past that then who cares if it's a called pixie.

It took years for people to know that my Treo's were called treo''s and not just "a palm"- so if people ask and I gave a ratts but and they asked "what's that?"- I'll just tell them "the new Palm web OS phone". People looked at my centro and asked what it was- I could try to tell them "centro" but no one knows what that was either. So most times it wound up being "the next generation treo" or "a new shrunk treo". If I had a Pre and my peers asked me what that is and I said "a pre"- they would say "a pre what?" it would be like "who's on first" all over again.

At this point I'm basically trying to decide if a top end enterprise webos device is coming along to replace the winmo treo's now that they are officially short for this world. Can I get 10-12 months out of a pixie before the one I want with wifi comes along or should or not.

all just my 2 cents- so take it for what it's worth. ;-)
    I agree with you about the zero-sum game, but I stand by my original conjecture for this reason: Barbie dolls are marketed to girls; no one expects boys to be a big market for them. EVERYONE has a phone, and this is going to be (for many) their first smartphone, just as the Centro was for me. I just don't understand why Palm would do this on their FIRST non-slider WebOS device. Maybe six months in...?

You are dead on about one thing, for sure, and that's the fact that non-Palm people are still referring to anything made by Palm as a "Pilot"!!! My own personal "nails on blackboard" experience.

WiFi isn't going to interest me as much as: 1) how soon will the GSM version be available, and 2) Am I forced by ATT to buy the data plan forever, or can I scale back, like I did with the Centro.
    tim
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast