Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Hi,

I have decided not to upgrade to Palm Pre due to much higher cost of
    the monthly plan. I don't have SERO, but I do have a decent plan with
    wireless internet. I simply prefer not to spend $70-100 monthly.

I like Pre's functionality, so if they allowed non-SE plans, then I would
    have definitely upgraded. So if they are looking to attract more budget
    conscious consumers with Pixi, I would hope they would allow non-SE plans
    on this phone.

I realize WebOS is heavily dependent on wireless internet, so I would
    think some sort of internet is required, but you don't have to require
    simply everything. Some people simply doesn't want everything.

Nobody at this point knows if this phone will require SE. But I hope
    Sprint would come to realize that only way to retain their budget conscious
    customer is to not force iPhone like plans. Network infrastructure is
    already built anyway, and they need more customers, even if they are
    not $70-100 a month ones, to keep growing. Not as profitable as they like,
    but more customer would still mean profit. Sprint is not in for charity, but
    they have to be more sensible with different demographics and offer more
    flexibility. With the current economic climate, you have to address
    the budget concerns.
    You make some good points, but considering the major data options for Sprint seem to be embodied in the Everything plans (not Simply Everything - there's only one plan that's called Simply Everything, and it costs $99), and considering that Sprint is using their "simple" streamlined approach to rate plans as a differentiator ... I'd say it's a fair bet that the Pixi is gonna require an Everything plan of some sort.
    Well part of the reason you need a plan with unlimited data is to protect yourself from getting charged like no other. WebOS is meant for the internet, and without an unlimited data plan, well... you'd be charged a lot of $$$. Now, if WebOS gains the ability to disable Ev-DO, then I think Sprint should drop the required unlimited data plan, but put a restriction on the phone where Ev-DO can't be used then. ie. When you buy the phone, you can choose to have it setup with internet or without internet.
    Sprint is moving towards making all their Everything plans (Data and Messaging) the standard offering. I would be willing to bet that every new interesting phone that they release in the future will require one of them.
    I would not be surprised at all if Sprint requires an Everything Data plan for the Pixi as well due to the heavy data traffic of webOS.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    The big problem with the Everything plans, and a big part of the reason I haven't gotten a Pre, is with Share Plans. For individuals, they're good deals. But I have 4 lines on my plan, only one of which needs data. Palm doesn't offer everything plans that way. To pay for data on three phones that don't need it erases any savings the EPs offer. To get two plans, one with data and one without, costs even more.

Sprint's got to figure out a better way.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Requiring a simply everything plan seems fair to me. Go to at&t and you will be begging to have what sprint offers for a budget price. With mobile to mobile it is even better. Sero will slowly die and everyone will end up on se plans. I used to have sero and to tell you the truth I don't miss it. I can have all the newest phones and get all the upgrades se has to offer.

Sprint is trying to make money and get new customers. They are offering the newest and best phones on the market. Gotta give it to Hesse for getting the pre and hero exclusivity. Good move. I just hope data speeds don't start to suffer due to these data intensive phones coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    The big problem with the Everything plans, and a big part of the reason I haven't gotten a Pre, is with Share Plans. For individuals, they're good deals. But I have 4 lines on my plan, only one of which needs data. Palm doesn't offer everything plans that way. To pay for data on three phones that don't need it erases any savings the EPs offer. To get two plans, one with data and one without, costs even more.

Sprint's got to figure out a better way.
    I disagree--Everything Family with 1500 shared minutes is 110-ish with 20 to add a line. At four lines that would be 170. Of course, you might need more minutes, but with the new any mobile offering, maybe not. 170 for four lines with unlimited data on all of them sounds pretty good to me. That's an average of $42.50 per line.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Yes, the Palm Pixi does require an everything plan just like the Pre, Instinct, Hero, and Blackberry.
    Requiring an everything data plan just makes sense for everyone involved. Web OS is connected to the internet at all times. Can you imagine the mess it would be on the Sprint end if everyone with a pre or pixi was paying for their data based on usage? Not to mention the billion phone calls they would receive from people pissed off that they didn't pick the right data plan, and now they want to dispute their ridiculously high bill.

Sprint is on the slow rebound from a VERY high customer dis-satisfaction. Right now they are offering data at some pretty amazing rates. I personally am very happy with what I am getting for my dollar with Sprint. I just hope it lasts a while. I have a feeling that the rates will rise as Sprint regains consumer trust and respect.
    I'd prefer it had wifi and a no data plan option.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    no wifi.. it makes no sense.
    I heard that they are coming out with a switch to turn off data for WebOS in a update (somewhere on these forums). That would work nice, but if you are already paying for data why not just have your data on?

But if Palm makes a WebOS device that is almost like the Pixi (aka a messaging device) without all of the connectivity, they could take away the need for a data plan with it. But they would have to keep them from getting online all the time and for the phone to not access the internet all of the time. Just an idea
    I see there are still people that just don't "get it" when it comes to smart phones.

A smartphone without data service is like a race car on city streets. It might have all the power under the hood, but the driver will never get to experience it the way it was meant to be driven.

So, with a WebOS device, running without an unlimited data plan is a foolish notion. If the price difference is such that one can't appreciate the value of what is gained, then one simply can't afford the phone.

Or to put it another way... If you can't afford the gas, don't buy a car that requires premium gasoline. Stick with an economy car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    If the price difference is such that one can't appreciate the value of what is gained, then one simply can't afford the phone.
    That makes no sense whatsoever... can't appreciate value of what is gained = can't afford?

Because I see no value in dropping my sero plan (which has "unlimited data"), I can't afford the phone (or rather phone and service)?

All on sero already have unlimited data... that is the issue. That is what sprint sold. An everything plan allows sero users to do nothing more than they can do now. It is a number in a computer system. Or are they selling some ridiculous navigation? Please... google/bing maps.

Well, with the exception of BB devices... which BB service has always been extra. Most sero and old plan users know BS when they see it... everything was a smart move by sprint, I give them that one.

Smart move would have been for sprint to open webos up to everyone... instead the phone is now $80... almost laughable. Well, about what it is worth (should be lower), if you want to talk about value.

Fortunately, the pre was not a major miss for me... nor will the picksee.

The picksee should be $30 or less... well, free.

With the small keyboards on the pre and picksee, you could not give me one... with free service... not worth the torture of daily use. Talk about my scale of value.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Wasn't referring to SERO plans or those that have them. In fact, the OP specifically states that he does NOT have a SERO plan. So if it doesn't apply to you then don't worry about it.

Obviously you missed my point. I've read many times where people complain about having to give up some legacy plan they've been holding on to for X number of years that does NOT include unlimited data. They want a modern smartphone, but don't want the modern plans that go with it.

My analogies are appropriate. Some people are just plain cheap and want something for nothing (or next to nothing). Again, if it doesn't apply to you don't get your panties in a bunch.

There are some that only look at the amount of money they are paying each month and don't consider the overall value of the services an Everything plan provides. Or they are not a true candidate for a smartphone in the first place and balk at the requirements. They end up under-utilizing the phone and find it hard to justify the price/services. They don't have an appreciation for what they are paying for because they've always been "dumb phone" or "feature phone" users and just don't get it that they now have a computer in their hand; not just a phone.
    I see there are still people that just don't "get it" when it comes to smart phones.

A smartphone without data service is like a race car on city streets. It might have all the power under the hood, but the driver will never get to experience it the way it was meant to be driven.

So, with a WebOS device, running without an unlimited data plan is a foolish notion. If the price difference is such that one can't appreciate the value of what is gained, then one simply can't afford the phone.

Or to put it another way... If you can't afford the gas, don't buy a car that requires premium gasoline. Stick with an economy car.

i agree 100% with you. if people don't want a plan "so expensive", best buy still sells pda's WITH wifi. Then just buy a regular phone with a regular plan. You don't NEED a pda phone.
    Wasn't referring to SERO plans or those that have them. In fact, the OP specifically states that he does NOT have a SERO plan. So if it doesn't apply to you then don't worry about it.

Obviously you missed my point. I've read many times where people complain about having to give up some legacy plan they've been holding on to for X number of years that does NOT include unlimited data. They want a modern smartphone, but don't want the modern plans that go with it.

My analogies are appropriate. Some people are just plain cheap and want something for nothing (or next to nothing). Again, if it doesn't apply to you don't get your panties in a bunch.

There are some that only look at the amount of money they are paying each month and don't consider the overall value of the services an Everything plan provides. Or they are not a true candidate for a smartphone in the first place and balk at the requirements. They end up under-utilizing the phone and find it hard to justify the price/services. They don't have an appreciation for what they are paying for because they've always been "dumb phone" or "feature phone" users and just don't get it that they now have a computer in their hand; not just a phone.
    couldn't have said it better myself
    Which is why I also stated "old plan" users. And the OP specifically states he/she has "wireless internet" which, in many cases, was unlimited data on sprint. If the OP does not have unlimited data, that was my assumption....

If the customer is willing to accept the extra charges that go along with accidentally cruising the net, I'm not sure why you would force him or her to purchase a plan they don't need. Difference of opinion.

Again, not seeing value = cannot afford. That does not make much sense at all. Sorry.

And I'm sure you are right... there are SOME people like that... but I'm not sure they are the types to visit a phone forum... much less post.

I believe sprint is performing a disservice to some members by playing around with members with old accounts.

While I agree that there are some who don't understand smartphones and data plans. They don't understand why the costs are as such. For them, an unlimited plan is warranted... even more, those with teens (unless data can be blocked).

The issue is that "old accounts without data" are lumped in with "old accounts with data." See the issue? Of course, I understand that part of Sprint's plan is to simplify their accounting and database (I'd guess) and have everyone on one plan.

I'm sure it is a mess (on all levels) to have 100 different plans (and prices) floating about. At the end, maybe eliminating several of the plans without data and leaving those with data alone might have been the best option. Dunno.

I'm not sure you would like the visual of me with panties in a bunch... considering I'm not a female. Or maybe you would. ROFL

All jokes aside... have a good day! It is only a forum... lol
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts

I can understand why some might "misread" what you are saying and get a little miffed. On the one hand, you say don't get upset if this doesn't apply to you, but earlier, you sound as though you are part of that elite group that gets it, when the others obviously don't. That doesn't sound real friendly, if you are in the "don't" group.

I bought my first smartphone in Feb. 2008, a Centro from ATT. While I enjoy the connectivity of the internet, I don't need it every minute of every day, so I am glad I have the option to turn it off completely, pay as I go, or get unlimited for $30 a month. I still want all of the other integrated features of a smartphone, such as contacts, calendar, music, etc. I just happen to be lucky enough to teach full-time in a computer lab, so 9.5 months a year, I have no need for the always-on connectivity through my phone. When I travel during the summer, I turn my data plan back on.

Obviously, from a tech standpoint, I get it. I am not expecting "something for nothing"; I simply cannot justify the expense for the little amount that I use the data connectivity.

I do want a Pixi when the GSM version comes out, but I also realize that with WebOS needing to be always on, it presents a whole different scenario than the old Palm OS, so we shall wait to see what the options are.
    tim
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast