Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I thought ATT's plan was very sensible; buy the Centro, keep the data plan for at least 6 months, then make your own choice after that.
    AT&T learned their lesson on that. As of last month unlimited data plans are mandatory for all smart phones and PDA's.

Honestly I don't get the complaints about the Sprint plans. To get what I have with Sprint on AT&T, I'd be paying $100 a month vs $70 - and with AT&T I'd probably need a higher rate plan, since they only give you unlimited calling to other AT&T users. Sprint's plans are a pretty darn good deal. Yeah, maybe you snagged some super special deal way back when, but unless there was a clause in your contract that says "this plan will work forever with any phone now or in the future", there isn't a lot of room to complain.

Same thing happens everywhere - go to AT&T and try to convince them to let you keep your $10 unlimited data plan when you upgrade to a iPhone or Blackberry. Ain't gonna happen.

It's not available on the Sprint website but I'm pretty sure you can call customer service and have just about any service blocked on any phone. I know you can have texting blocked as I did that once. I believe the rep told me that she could block data services as well.
    If Sprint is like AT&T in that regard, you'll have call in, you'll have to ask for it specifically, and you may need to press to get it added depending on the rep you talk to. They can block off whatever you want but AT&T really hates for them to do it.
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo View Post
    AT&T learned their lesson on that. As of last month unlimited data plans are mandatory for all smart phones and PDA's.

Honestly I don't get the complaints about the Sprint plans. To get what I have with Sprint on AT&T, I'd be paying $100 a month vs $70 - and with AT&T I'd probably need a higher rate plan, since they only give you unlimited calling to other AT&T users. Sprint's plans are a pretty darn good deal. Yeah, maybe you snagged some super special deal way back when, but unless there was a clause in your contract that says "this plan will work forever with any phone now or in the future", there isn't a lot of room to complain.

Same thing happens everywhere - go to AT&T and try to convince them to let you keep your $10 unlimited data plan when you upgrade to a iPhone or Blackberry. Ain't gonna happen.

If Sprint is like AT&T in that regard, you'll have call in, you'll have to ask for it specifically, and you may need to press to get it added depending on the rep you talk to. They can block off whatever you want but AT&T really hates for them to do it.
    Sorry, Speedo, but I would differ with you on both of these points.

I still have my Centro and have no data plan. (Unless, you were meaning ATT forces it on NEW plans?)

As far as blocking things, my son (age 20, at the time) got online, downloaded a bunch of crap and rang up about $50 in charges. I called ATT to get his phone blocked from all data services and the rep not only cheerfully did that, she issued a credit for the damage he had already done!!!

I can't speak for anyone else's experience with phone companies, but I have no intention of leaving ATT anytime soon, at least not because of poor customer service.
    tim
    I still have my Centro and have no data plan. (Unless, you were meaning ATT forces it on NEW plans?)
    You will be grandfathered in on your current setup but any future change will require adding a data plan, eg if you wanted to add or change a messaging plan you will be required to add data.

As far as blocking things, my son (age 20, at the time) got online, downloaded a bunch of crap and rang up about $50 in charges. I called ATT to get his phone blocked from all data services and the rep not only cheerfully did that, she issued a credit for the damage he had already done!!!
    Refunds are pretty much par for the course for anything like that (you'd really probably be shocked at just how much a basic tier 1 rep can give you simply based on their own judgment). If she blocked data without putting up resistance and offering alternatives though she violated policy, but of course that happens every day.
    There is a way to block the web on Sprint phones, either from the phone itself and/or online. You can go to settings, more, data, and then go to net guard, which will block the internet from the phone (on a dumb phone). You can have Sprint block data services by calling them or online chat (sprint.com/chat) and they will probably give you a refund for the data that you used that month, or at least they did for me. I have gotten refunds before for not blocking the internet but still downloading or using it some, too.
    Global Posts
    2,476 Global Posts
    It will require a SE....guaranteed.
    Global Posts
    2,476 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    Simply Everything plan is eligible for discounts. I think the only plans that are restricted are the new SERO plans (the Everything Plus Referral Program -- EPRP). Since those plans are already discounted, Sprint doesn't allow a further discount.

But any of the other plans: Simply Everything, Everything Data, Everything Share Family plans, etc. are all eligible.

Oh, and I believe you can also get a discount if you bank at a federal credit union.
    The 99.99 Simply Everything plan is not eligible for a discount. The SERO Plans, EDRP, Advantage Club and Wireless Broadband as well as the 99.99 Simply Everything plans are not eligible for discounts. All other plans are.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    A Pre, or Pixi, and other similar smart phones are useless without a Simply Everything Plan. If you don't want those plans you should just get a simpler phone. The data usage fees w/out a SE plan would be astronomical considering the phone is always connected to the cloud. At least you don't have to spend $100+ like att.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quis89 View Post
    It will require a SE....guaranteed.
    I don't think is guaranteed at all. In fact I'm leaning towards they'll mandate unlimited data plans, but not necessarily SE. Unfortunately for the OP, it's too late to have anything but SE and they should have signed up awhile ago to be possibly grandfathered in.

Centro users are the big play here and "forcing" them to a higher plan is not a wise gamble if they already have unlimited data.

Furthermore, considering no WM phones require SE, I don't see this as a trend for smartphones in general on Sprint, but rather for specific, high end, exclusive devices (even there the Touch Pro 2 is exempt). WM devices can use as much or more data than a Pre any day (we have bittorrent apps afterall).

Sprint may also have to let its guard down a bit here since WebOS is not exactly lighting up their coffers yet and Pixi might not do it either.

Bottom line is no one knows yet except for Palm/Sprint.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    2,476 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I don't think is guaranteed at all. In fact I'm leaning towards they'll mandate unlimited data plans, but not necessarily SE. Unfortunately for the OP, it's too late to have anything but SE and they should have signed up awhile ago to be possibly grandfathered in.

Centro users are the big play here and "forcing" them to a higher plan is not a wise gamble if they already have unlimited data.

Furthermore, considering no WM phones require SE, I don't see this as a trend for smartphones in general on Sprint, but rather for specific, high end, exclusive devices (even there the Touch Pro 2 is exempt). WM devices can use as much or more data than a Pre any day (we have bittorrent apps afterall).

Sprint may also have to let its guard down a bit here since WebOS is not exactly lighting up their coffers yet and Pixi might not do it either.

Bottom line is no one knows yet except for Palm/Sprint.
    It is guaranteed...trust me. Its all about the OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quis89 View Post
    The 99.99 Simply Everything plan is not eligible for a discount. The SERO Plans, EDRP, Advantage Club and Wireless Broadband as well as the 99.99 Simply Everything plans are not eligible for discounts. All other plans are.
    I stand corrected. You are quite right about the discounts: http://palmwebos.org/2009/05/06/palm-pre-plans-no-discounts-on-simply-everything/

People need to stop saying that "Simply Everything (SE)" is "required", though. SE refers only to one specific $99 plan. There are cheaper plans available and Sprint isn't requiring you to get SE in order to get a high-end phone.

With discounts, you can pay as little as $50 a month. So it's not as bad as some people are making it sound.

An EDP (Everything Data Plan) is required, not an SE (Simply Everything) plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I don't think is guaranteed at all.
    I can't say it's guaranteed or not but a year ago when we tried to get a Sprint Instinct for my son I was told we had to switch to one of the "new" (at the time) Simply Everything plans. The Simply Everything Data plan was the lowest end plan we could upgrade to in order to activate the Insitinct. If the Instinct required one of the SE plans, I think it's a safe bet that the Pixi will require one as well.
    Terry Rodecker

Palm Pilot -> Palm V -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> 700wx -> ppc6700 -> BB 8830 -> Pre -> iPhone (company requirement) -> TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by trodecke View Post
    I can't say it's guaranteed or not but a year ago when we tried to get a Sprint Instinct for my son I was told we had to switch to one of the "new" (at the time) Simply Everything plans. The Simply Everything Data plan was the lowest end plan we could upgrade to in order to activate the Insitinct. If the Instinct required one of the SE plans, I think it's a safe bet that the Pixi will require one as well.
    There is only ONE "Simply Everything" plan. All other plans are referred to as "Everything Data". Using the word "Simply" will get you in trouble if you're talking to Sprint, because they'll sign you up for the more expensive unlimited talk plan: "Simply Everything" at $99.

I have no doubt that an Everything Data plan is required for the Pixi. Quite frankly it doesn't make sense to get a Pixi (or a Pre, iPhone, Treo/Centro, or any other data-centric smartphone) without an unlimited data plan. The phone's functionality is pretty crippled without data. With the Pre or Pixi, you can't even activate the thing without a data connection, without jumping through major hoops.

I know it's not what people want to hear, but those older plans are no longer offered (or supported on newer phones) and that's just the way it is. Not saying it's right or wrong. It just is what it is.

Now, everyone has a choice: Either get one of the new plans, keep your old plan and phone, or switch to another carrier (if you feel that strongly about it).
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Sprint doesn't want you to have an unlimited data plan so you don't screw yourself on data overages; THEY WANT YOU TO PAY MORE!!!

I spent 20 minutes with a friend/Sprint seller; he went round and round with Sprint customer service about my current plan already having unlimited data and texting (about $47 an month after taxes). If I simply pay more per month they would give me the discounts. I was told they wouldn't activate a Palm Pre without a Simply Data plan regardless of how I got it. It has nothing to do with user experience and all to do with maximizing revenue. But, it's still better than an iphone on ATT, provided you have the homebrew stuff.
    From Sprint's press release today:

Palm Pixi requires activation on a pricing plan including unlimited data, such as Sprint’s Everything Data plans with Any Mobile, AnytimeSM, which give customers unlimited mobile calling on the Sprint network to and from any U.S. wireless carrier, unlimited nationwide texting, email, Web browsing and much more, starting at just $69.99. The Simply EverythingSM plan from Sprint offers a truly unlimited experience for only $99.99 per month, a savings of $1,200 over two years versus a comparable AT&T iPhoneŽ plan4. (All price plans exclude surcharges and taxes. Other exclusions apply.
    Read the first sentence carefully. If this is accurate, then an "Everything" plan will *not* be required.

Marc
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfield View Post

Palm Pixi requires activation on a pricing plan including unlimited data, such as Sprint’s Everything Data plans with Any Mobile, AnytimeSM, which give customers ...

Read the first sentence carefully. If this is accurate, then an "Everything" plan will *not* be required.

Marc
    But, when I went to Sprint's site, it only listed two options for unlimited data: the Simply Everything ($99.99), and the Everything Data with Any Mobile, Anytime, with 450 minutes, for $69.99. Were there other unlimited data plans that I missed?
    tim
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
    But, when I went to Sprint's site, it only listed two options for unlimited data: the Simply Everything ($99.99), and the Everything Data with Any Mobile, Anytime, with 450 minutes, for $69.99. Were there other unlimited data plans that I missed?
    Hi Tim,

I don't know. The curiosity about plan requirements is mostly relevant to those of us who have been Sprint customers for a while and want to stay on our existing plans that include unlimited data and are less expensive than "Everything" plans.

Marc
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Hi Tim,

I don't know. The curiosity about plan requirements is mostly relevant to those of us who have been Sprint customers for a while and want to stay on our existing plans that include unlimited data and are less expensive than "Everything" plans.

Marc
    Thanks, Marc. Now I understand. This must be those much-discussed, heavily discounted plans that I have kind of ignored, being that I am on ATT.
    tim

Marc
    As a data point, this was in the Palm e-mail that went out on the Pixi from the fine print:

"Email, mobile number, and related information required for setup and activation. Required data plan not included; requires a Sprint Everything plan or a Business Advantage Messaging and Data plan."

Nobody knows for sure but I am leaning towards thinking Sprint will require it just trying to get people off of grandfathered plans. Just like so many others, the only reason I don't have Pre is because I am not yet willing to give up my existing plan.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    It does. Sprint's plan is way cheaper than any other carrier's. Stop complaining.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123