Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
    I can understand why some might "misread" what you are saying and get a little miffed. On the one hand, you say don't get upset if this doesn't apply to you, but earlier, you sound as though you are part of that elite group that gets it, when the others obviously don't. That doesn't sound real friendly, if you are in the "don't" group.

I bought my first smartphone in Feb. 2008, a Centro from ATT. While I enjoy the connectivity of the internet, I don't need it every minute of every day, so I am glad I have the option to turn it off completely, pay as I go, or get unlimited for $30 a month. I still want all of the other integrated features of a smartphone, such as contacts, calendar, music, etc. I just happen to be lucky enough to teach full-time in a computer lab, so 9.5 months a year, I have no need for the always-on connectivity through my phone. When I travel during the summer, I turn my data plan back on.

Obviously, from a tech standpoint, I get it. I am not expecting "something for nothing"; I simply cannot justify the expense for the little amount that I use the data connectivity.

I do want a Pixi when the GSM version comes out, but I also realize that with WebOS needing to be always on, it presents a whole different scenario than the old Palm OS, so we shall wait to see what the options are.
    Well, I'm glad somebody understands what I'm trying to say. Perhaps my use of the term "appreciate" wasn't the best. I suppose "justify" might be a better word for what I was saying. Some people can't justify the expense. That's fair enough and I meant no offense towards anyone's budget or income level. People find ways to justify all kinds of things that they may or may not be able to afford. That's not really my point.

My point is that it costs money to maintain legacy systems. The cost is in training, technical maintenance, and time. You best believe that those costs are passed on to ALL subscribers (not just those using the legacy plans). Sprint is streamlining the plans and systems for a reason: it's cheaper to cut away the fat (legacy plans) than to try to keep dozens of old plans in the system that they have to train their support staff to maintain and support. Having those incompatible plans also makes it harder (and more expensive) to upgrade or make systemic changes.

It's all about money.

I understand why some would want to have the option to not pay for data part of the time. Again, turning services on and off costs money and Sprint's in business to make money. It may not be what people want to hear, but it's the cold, hard truth of the matter.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    I see a lot of complaints about pricing for the Phone Plans. I don't know how many people are aware but a lot of company's offer discounts (half the time your HR isn't even aware) above and beyond the already great pricing for these plans. I know for a fact that Sears employees receive 25% off their monthly bill which makes a lot of these plans even nicer yet. A lot of Fire Fighters, EMT's, Hotel/Resort Employees, and Medical/Hospital employees receive the same discount as well. They also get a discount on accessories You should call up Sprint and ask them if you are eligable to receive a discount for where ever you work. I believe the only plan you don't get it on is the $99 simply everything plan. But that was when it first came out things may have changed. I know when I inquired about the Everything family in July this year for 8 lines they told me I would still receive my discount. Something worth checking into!
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    It's all about money.

I understand why some would want to have the option to not pay for data part of the time. Again, turning services on and off costs money and Sprint's in business to make money. It may not be what people want to hear, but it's the cold, hard truth of the matter.
    I agree with that 100%. The problem I have with these companies is, they are selling a $600 phone for only $200, subsidizing the other $400. At $100-$150 per month for 24 months, that's between $2400 and $3600. I think they more than made up that subsidy!

I thought ATT's plan was very sensible; buy the Centro, keep the data plan for at least 6 months, then make your own choice after that.

I'm not too worried, yet. They haven't even announced my GSM Pixi as actually existing!
    tim
    Quote Originally Posted by zadam280 View Post
    I see a lot of complaints about pricing for the Phone Plans. I don't know how many people are aware but a lot of company's offer discounts (half the time your HR isn't even aware) above and beyond the already great pricing for these plans. I know for a fact that Sears employees receive 25% off their monthly bill which makes a lot of these plans even nicer yet. A lot of Fire Fighters, EMT's, Hotel/Resort Employees, and Medical/Hospital employees receive the same discount as well. They also get a discount on accessories You should call up Sprint and ask them if you are eligable to receive a discount for where ever you work. I believe the only plan you don't get it on is the $99 simply everything plan. But that was when it first came out things may have changed. I know when I inquired about the Everything family in July this year for 8 lines they told me I would still receive my discount. Something worth checking into!
    Simply Everything plan is eligible for discounts. I think the only plans that are restricted are the new SERO plans (the Everything Plus Referral Program -- EPRP). Since those plans are already discounted, Sprint doesn't allow a further discount.

But any of the other plans: Simply Everything, Everything Data, Everything Share Family plans, etc. are all eligible.

Oh, and I believe you can also get a discount if you bank at a federal credit union.
    Last edited by Insp_Gadget; 09/28/2009 at 02:22 PM.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    I know this is a bit off topic, but what exactly is a SERO plan?
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Are we really complaining about what could be the cheapest pricing structure in cell phone today.

You can get a 450 minute plan that has unlimited text and data and unlimited mobile calls to anyone with a mobile number and nights and weekends starting at 7 and unlimited roaming (both call and data) all for 69.99. You probably can get at least a 10% discount from your work and if not join a credit union.

I know there are cheaper plans out there but if you talk at all you are gonna spend at least 45 dollars a month, then add a text plan for 5-10 and you are within 10 bucks of the simply everything plan listed above. Not to mention you have to pay attention to minutes and get no internet.

Its really a good deal for what you are getting. Not to mention having a pretty stable phone bill. I know when i used to have a dumb phone i could easily end up not paying attention and getting a bill well into the 100 dollar range now i dont have to worry about it.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    well put.. don't agree with you, but way to calm it down.. lol
    I'm not crazy cause my hands are in my pants...... I'm just feeling Nuts!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sprint_fan View Post
    I know this is a bit off topic, but what exactly is a SERO plan?
    Google "sprint SERO" and you will find the answer...

Basically, it was a heavily discounted plan that sprint used as a marketing gimmick. Later they decided to call it a "research" ploy.

Anyway, after the marketing was up, they had a lot of people switch from ATT, verizon, t-mobile, etc. to take advantage of the cheap plans.

I believe they used that research to build their current plans.... but I'm not sure it worked on the "average" person as planned. See, sero was known "mainly" by computer/phone geeks... others have other reasons for staying with their company. Like, they only get service with t-mobile (out in country -- seen it), or all their friends are on verizon (seen it).

I moved from verizon after 7 years... came over to sprint for sero... Same service, IMO....

Now sprint decided to not allow service on certain plans... even sero. It is ridiculous. But all good... they allow the main phones that everyone "really" want on SERO...

You mainly see the argument of those that have it with those who don't... or those who pay less vs. those taking it up the ****. ROFL
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Everything plans are not the only ones that have unlimited data. There are plenty of people out there with power vision plans that claim unlimited data.
    A lot of folks forget that long before before 2009, a lot of existing Sprint customers already have other plans that already INCLUDE unlimited data (remember when they were just PCS Vision plans) and ARE NOT SERO and cost less than $69.99. So making people spend minimum $70 for what they already have and pay less for rankles some.

For example, my sis has the old $29.99 plan (200 anytime, nights and weekends, plus $10 pcs vision, $10 text), total $50 and then extra taxes, which she's had since 2004 if i remember. This suits her fine and she doesn't care for telenav GPS, google maps suits her fine. She's definitely not tacking on extra $20/month for extra minutes and GPS she doesn't need or use. At the end of the day, Sprint is still the best deal for her at that price. As the HTC Hero is coming forth, i might just convince her to go for the Everything Plus Referral thing and wiggle some company discount from Sprint to get it down to the $50 mark. No Pixi or Pre for her.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Smart move would have been for sprint to open webos up to everyone... instead the phone is now $80... almost laughable. Well, about what it is worth (should be lower), if you want to talk about value.

1. Sprint has virtually not control over WebOS. WebOS and the Palm Pre are produced by Palm, not sprint.

2. If you really believe that's all the more the Pre is worth, *** are you doing even considering one?!?!?!?!?!? The current price tag with all available rebates and discounts, is an INCREDIBLE DEAL. If it's only worth $80 to you, go get an iphone.

As far as your SERO plan, you've missed one important point. For most folks who have those plans, they never used the HUGE volume of data that the Pre uses. It may be unlimited, but when they sold it to you, they never anticipated a device like the Pre.

Also, you can't go to ATT or Verizon and get a data plan that would be the same as your sero. It's a plan that only exists for people who are grandfathered into it, and Sprint has no obligation to let you use any particular phone with it.

Sprint data plans are HIGHLY competitive, and you have to decide between upgrading the phone and the plan, or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    1. Sprint has virtually not control over WebOS. WebOS and the Palm Pre are produced by Palm, not sprint.
    I know... by open up, I meant allow sales... you were a bit fast on your reply.

2. If you really believe that's all the more the Pre is worth, *** are you doing even considering one?!?!?!?!?!? The current price tag with all available rebates and discounts, is an INCREDIBLE DEAL. If it's only worth $80 to you, go get an iphone.
    I was considering it until I used a pre... and I can't stand the iphone... not everyone who posts love apple (well, I do like apple products, but I think they are overrated at times) and iphone. But if you don't like palm/pre then you must be a apple person.

As far as your SERO plan, you've missed one important point. For most folks who have those plans, they never used the HUGE volume of data that the Pre uses. It may be unlimited, but when they sold it to you, they never anticipated a device like the Pre.
    give me a break... yes, they did anticipate devices like the pre. They don't build networks overnight... you are kidding yourself.

Also, you can't go to ATT or Verizon and get a data plan that would be the same as your sero. It's a plan that only exists for people who are grandfathered into it, and Sprint has no obligation to let you use any particular phone with it.
    Due to discounts, I would be around the same... I'm on the $50 sero... maybe $10 extra. With sero I can't discount further. Since Jan 09, the max phone time I've used each month was 110 minutes... so basically, I could go with about any plan and be happy.

Sprint data plans are HIGHLY competitive, and you have to decide between upgrading the phone and the plan, or not.
    Okay... lol

I'm booorrrreeeeddddd with this convo....

It would be nice if the pixi allowed old plans... I'll get one when it adds wifi?
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    If the Pixi doesn't come with reduced plan pricing, why would anyone go for the Pixi over the Pre? Because it's thinner?

As for those who say that going to AT&T won't get you a cheaper price, that's not the issue. The issue is that what kept SERO members at Sprint was the price of the plan. PERIOD. It didn't matter what phones Sprint actually carried; we liked the SERO price.

Now, that the prices of the different companies are up near $100/Month (nearly quadrupling my SERO price), I have started to compare the different phones.

Sure, Sprint might be somewhat cheaper that AT&T, but, for the first time, I'm comparing the iPhone to the Pre because the monthly prices are about the same (again, when compared to how cheap my SERO was).

Price becomes less of an issue when they are all expensive.
    First off, you don't have to pay $100 a month with Sprint. They offer cheaper Everything plans. The "Simply Everything" plan is the only one that expensive. There are cheaper plans such as "Everything Data 450" for only $69, which includes everything that the "Simply Everything" plan has, but is limited to 450 minutes instead of unlimited minutes (but you do get unlimited mobile to ANY mobile...so depending on who you call, you may get virtually unlimited calling).

Everything in life has some degree of compromise. You have to decide what is more important to you: the bottom-line monthly price or the number of services you get for the price.

Sprint gives you more for your money. Period. AT&T will nickle and dime you for things that are already included in a Sprint plan (unlimited text messaging, GPS navigation, TV, etc.).

SERO is dead. Give up the ghost. You can still get discounts or you can go for the new referral plans (SERO replacement). But the days of $30 everything all-you-can-eat plans are over. If the price is all that was keeping you then move on to something cheaper (if you can find it). Perhaps you'd be better off with a pre-paid plan.

Either way, only you can decide what is right for you.

As for the Pixi, some people prefer form/fashion over function or price. That is their prerogative. You don't need to understand their motivations, only yours.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

It goes something like this. You gave us a helluva deal with SERO, and even the non-SERO older plans that even with Power Vision add-on were still a great deal compared to other carriers. In return, you had our undying loyalty, despite the customer service issues. Now that you're charging the same as the other guys, that loyalty is gone, and I can't guarantee I won't go to another carrier if I see something I like.

Additionally, I know the packages are priced better than other carriers for what you get, but there's no "I want less" option. Maybe some of us don't want the navigation app, unlimited text messages (or even any text messages), and unlimited mobile calling. It's like going to the grocery store for a jar of tomato sauce, but the only tomato sauce you can buy comes with spaghetti, parmesan cheese, garlic bread, and a bottle of wine. If I could get a 450 minute plan with unlimited (or even with some reasonably high limit) data, no navigation, no unlimited mobile, no text messages, I'd guess they would price that to be somewhere in the neighborhood of $50-$55. I'd own a Pre/Pixi right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    Yes, I understand the days of SERO are over, but I'm rather surprised at the anger against SERO people who are understandably concerned with the increase in price.

Again, it is no longer about the price--sure you can get Sprint plans for $70 but you can get an AT&T plan for about that price too. I know, AT&T nickels and dimes you--but if everyone shouldn't be so concerned about the price (as it seems with the automatic acceptance of whatever price Sprint has named for Pre service), isn't AT&T nickel and diming okay too?

It's all about the phones now. The Pre isn't SO superior that it's an obvious choice over the iPhone. The Pre 1.0 with its technical and hardware problems and lack of 3rd party programs is far behind in many aspects. Sure, the future Pres might be better--but Sprint will probably raise the prices on those plans (and everyone will wholehearted defend Sprint's prices, if the track record is any evidence).

All I was saying, is now that SERO is dead, it frees me up to look at phones from all different carriers and make a decision based more on the phone than on the pricing plan. Many of us SERO users are in the same boat.
    I understand your point. But what anger towards SERO people? The only anger I see is from SERO people upset about the loss of the plan.

I agree with you in principle. Of course you are free to look at it from other than a price standpoint now. All I'm pointing out is that Sprint is still a better deal for an equivalent package.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Quote Originally Posted by flan View Post
    It goes something like this. You gave us a helluva deal with SERO, and even the non-SERO older plans that even with Power Vision add-on were still a great deal compared to other carriers. In return, you had our undying loyalty, despite the customer service issues. Now that you're charging the same as the other guys, that loyalty is gone, and I can't guarantee I won't go to another carrier if I see something I like.

Additionally, I know the packages are priced better than other carriers for what you get, but there's no "I want less" option. Maybe some of us don't want the navigation app, unlimited text messages (or even any text messages), and unlimited mobile calling. It's like going to the grocery store for a jar of tomato sauce, but the only tomato sauce you can buy comes with spaghetti, parmesan cheese, garlic bread, and a bottle of wine. If I could get a 450 minute plan with unlimited (or even with some reasonably high limit) data, no navigation, no unlimited mobile, no text messages, I'd guess they would price that to be somewhere in the neighborhood of $50-$55. I'd own a Pre/Pixi right now.
    A valid point and I agree, you aren't given a choice in that regard IF you want a Pre/Pixi.

I wonder, if Sprint did offer a-la-carte services with a Pre/Pixi, how many people would be calling into their customer support upset because they didn't order the right services to support everything the phone can do?

A lot, I would bet.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

SERO is dead... long live SERO!!!

I am going to get the hottest phone in Sprint's lineup once win 6.5 hits... on my sero plan that is....

Touch Pro2...

Being the "tech" guy, I get asked a lot of questions about phones and such. I know 0 about webos, except for my brief handling of it and what I read. I can't recommend it.

At the end, there are more than enough phones on sprint to keep me happy with my sero plan.

I think most sero (and other old plan) holders are upset with the pointless phone selection limitations.

I have sero... I can't get the instink and the pre... hmm... lol... I'm upset... lol... right...
    (edit: okay, and a BlackBerry -- but BB devices were never allowed on SERO... without some modification).

At my three year mark, I'm on track to spend less than $1000 for phones and service while on sprint. For three years. lol... I'm mad... lol
    Last edited by theog; 10/05/2009 at 07:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    A valid point and I agree, you aren't given a choice in that regard IF you want a Pre/Pixi.

I wonder, if Sprint did offer a-la-carte services with a Pre/Pixi, how many people would be calling into their customer support upset because they didn't order the right services to support everything the phone can do?

A lot, I would bet.
    To address this, an improvement would be to have the option to either pay for these features as you use them, or to disable the feature altogether. Right now, you try to use data on a phone that doesn't have a data plan, you get charged by the byte. I'd love a feature where you log into your account on their web site and you say, "Don't let me use this feature which will cost me extra since I don't have that included in my plan." So when you launch the web browser and try to use data services, if you don't have that option selected, you can use the web but pay per byte, but if you do have that option selected, it just doesn't let you on the data network. You turn off text messages, and you can't send or receive texts, rather than getting surprised with a bill.

This would eliminate the whole "I didn't know I didn't have a data plan, why is my bill $3,000?" complaint. You turn it off by default, and if a user knowingly turns on the option, they REALLY don't have an excuse when their bill comes.

This, in conjunction with plans that offer less for those of us who don't want to pay so much for one of the required plans, but would still love to have the device, even if its capabilities are diminished a little, would allow us to get a Pre or Pixi. Want to charge me a little more up front because the subsidy assumes a high-en plan? Fine, I'll pay a little more up front.

The Pre and Pixi are pretty worthless without at least some kind of data plan, and you might even argue that they're worthless without an unlimited plan. But for all the other features they offer that they use to justify the $70/month, I could do without if it meant a smaller bill. I could do with a plan that had no navigation app (I'd get by on Google Maps). I could do with a plan that had no texts (I rarely text and wouldn't mind paying per message). I could do with a plan that had no unlimited calling to other mobile phones. I'm usually under 200 minutes each month total, so 450 anytime minutes are more than enough for me.

As much as I'd LOVE a WebOS phone, I'm a good android phone + a plan that's $50-$55 away from leaving Sprint. Before, when I had my Samsung A920 with a Power Vision plan that cost $15 when other carriers were charging no less than $30 for unlimited data plans, you couldn't pry me away from Sprint. For the newer generation plans that the carriers have for smartphones, however, Sprint doesn't have a plan that has lower price like they did with the Power Vision plans.
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    To address this, an improvement would be to have the option to either pay for these features as you use them, or to disable the feature altogether. Right now, you try to use data on a phone that doesn't have a data plan, you get charged by the byte. I'd love a feature where you log into your account on their web site and you say, "Don't let me use this feature which will cost me extra since I don't have that included in my plan." So when you launch the web browser and try to use data services, if you don't have that option selected, you can use the web but pay per byte, but if you do have that option selected, it just doesn't let you on the data network. You turn off text messages, and you can't send or receive texts, rather than getting surprised with a bill.
    Which is exactly what I already have with ATT. I have 5 phones, but data is not allowed on four of them, simply because my son has little willpower against his impulsivity, and my in-laws might push the web icon by accident!

Why can't Sprint offer the same to you guys? If they tell you it can't be done, it's a load. They want you to buy unlimited, which is why they charge so much for per/KB download.
    tim
    I'd love a feature where you log into your account on their web site and you say, "Don't let me use this feature which will cost me extra since I don't have that included in my plan."
    It's not available on the Sprint website but I'm pretty sure you can call customer service and have just about any service blocked on any phone. I know you can have texting blocked as I did that once. I believe the rep told me that she could block data services as well.
    Terry Rodecker

Palm Pilot -> Palm V -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> 700wx -> ppc6700 -> BB 8830 -> Pre -> iPhone (company requirement) -> TouchPad
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast