Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 70
  1.    #1  
    If the Pre is already having problems running WebOS with its hardware, why strip down the hardware further?

    The 8gb Pre is now $150. It will be in all likelihood free by Q1 of 2010. I just don't understand why Palm threw money and R&D time at this project. I understand it doesn't have a slider, but that the only thing it has going for it.

    IMO, unless they have the lag and battery life fixed in a soon to be release update for WebOS, this device will cause more negatives than its worth.

    Any thoughts?
  2. #2  
    Maybe Palm has figured out how to optimize WebOS enough that by the launch of the Pixi, it'll be running smoother. The Pixi has its place in the WebOS world, I think. People say it's the WebOS Centro, like that's a bad thing. I see tons of Centros out there, we can only hope for Palm and Sprint's sake that it's the WebOS Centro.

    Edit: I have to admit, in spite of its drawbacks, the Pixi is a good-looking phone. Don't discount that part of the equation
    Last edited by jrstinkfish; 09/09/2009 at 11:58 PM.
  3. #3  
    Really it's not that difficult:

    Pixie << Pre because:

    -smaller screen
    -no wifi
    -2MP camera instead of 3MP

    It will have a lower end price point and subsidized to almost ZERO! Pre will remain the higher end device. The Centro prooved a lower end model can sell through millions of handsets. Palm wants and NEEDS to dramatically increase the webos install base for their App Catalog to be successful and to entice developers. THe Pixie will do just this!!
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  4. #4  
    Plus users who does not want slider phones.
  5. #5  
    The Pixie and the Centro before it are phones designed for people new to smartphones. I couldn't get my wife to even look at a smartphone when I had my Treos but the second she saw/held the Centro she wanted it. Form factor is important.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  6. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    The Pixie and the Centro before it are phones designed for people new to smartphones. I couldn't get my wife to even look at a smartphone when I had my Treos but the second she saw/held the Centro she wanted it. Form factor is important.
    Treo vs Centro can fit that logic because the Centro looks slightly less intimidating. But Pre vs Pixi doesn't hold up to your theory at all because the Pre is so appealing. I'm not saying the Pixi is a slouch at all, but the Pre elegance and style has proven to be a real eye catcher for many of our wives/husbands/girlfriends/daughters/brothers/parents etc.

    The only way I can see justification for the Pixi is if it were free because $50 isn't a big deal for a phone that is more enticing to both the geeks and the average consumer.
  7. drizek's Avatar
    Posts
    333 Posts
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    #7  
    If the pixi was out right now I would have bought it for my brother instead of the Pre. He isn't a heavy user and he likes candybars.
  8. devren's Avatar
    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    #8  
    I feel the same way If the pre and pixie came out at the same time I would have got the pixie. I hate sliders. I like my keyboard there and ready without and extra to dos.

    -smaller screen
    not a big deal for me
    -no wifi
    never even use it. I get great evdo coverage
    -2MP camera instead of 3MP
    to me that is a joke. a cell cam to me is just for quick emergencies or joke pics nothing for the album
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Devren View Post
    I feel the same way If the pre and pixie came out at the same time I would have got the pixie. I hate sliders. I like my keyboard there and ready without and extra to dos.

    -smaller screen
    not a big deal for me
    -no wifi
    never even use it. I get great evdo coverage
    -2MP camera instead of 3MP
    to me that is a joke. a cell cam to me is just for quick emergencies or joke pics nothing for the album

    I think the smaller screen and lack of wifi are pretty significant differences. The former especially for games and multimedia. Also wifi may not be important to you but it is HUGE for a lot of many other people especially those who rely on wifi for coverage inside buildings and campuses. THe digicam arguement I concede is not as strong unless Palm enables video recording on Pre and not on the Pixie etc. In addition there are hardware spec differences like the proc.

    Overall though, I would have liked Palm to MORE CLEARLY differentiate the Pre and Pixie...perhaps with a more loaded software bundle on the Pre like eventual full DTG bundle or etc. Also, the Pre should have at least 2-3x storage capacity as the Pixie...
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  10. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #10  
    The people this phone is aimed at don't look at tech specs - they look at adverts and are considered with how it feels in their hand when they hold it.
  11. #11  
    I think i like the pixi better than the pre! Ive been holding out for the pre, maybe I'll hold out a bit longer.

    I agree with the above poster, I like my keyboard exposed and ready to go. I dont care about wifi either.
  12. wodin's Avatar
    Posts
    181 Posts
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    #12  
    Palm is reverting to form here, until the Pre, they have consistently demonstrated an inability to get the screen size right. I have been a WinMo user for many years now, and would not have gone to the square screened Plams for any reason.

    The Pre's larger screen was one of the big factors in moving me off WinMo to the only real multitasker OS around. Now they bring out the Pixi at 2.63 and 320x400.



    This tells the whole story! What's that about never learning anything from history.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by wodin View Post
    Palm is reverting to form here, until the Pre, they have consistently demonstrated an inability to get the screen size right. I have been a WinMo user for many years now, and would not have gone to the square screened Plams for any reason.

    The Pre's larger screen was one of the big factors in moving me off WinMo to the only real multitasker OS around. Now they bring out the Pixi at 2.63 and 320x400.



    This tells the whole story! What's that about never learning anything from history.
    Except in the past, they only had one choice. Now they have two choices, including the Pre, which as you mention does have a larger screen.
  14. swagner's Avatar
    Posts
    258 Posts
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    #14  
    I think the point of the Pre was to put out an iPhone competitor. Large touch screen, wifi, excellent multimedia, awesome browsing. If you follow that logic, look at the Pixi as a solid BB competitor- great keyboard, better web browsing, solid and thin, hopefully better battery life. I am actually tempted to switch to a Pixi if the signal strength and battery life are better.
  15. dpc111's Avatar
    Posts
    19 Posts
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by swagner View Post
    I think the point of the Pre was to put out an iPhone competitor. Large touch screen, wifi, excellent multimedia, awesome browsing. If you follow that logic, look at the Pixi as a solid BB competitor- great keyboard, better web browsing, solid and thin, hopefully better battery life. I am actually tempted to switch to a Pixi if the signal strength and battery life are better.
    The Pixi just can't be a "serious" BB competitor if it has the same email and calendar quirks as the Pre.
  16. Shado.F's Avatar
    Posts
    263 Posts
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    #16  
    I'd say the Pixi is to draw in Centro, Treo Pro, and BB users.
  17. #17  
    It's important for Palm to be able to offer different devices at different price points, targeted at different types of users. Until the next hardware announcement, it looks like they're going to continue pushing the Treo Pro to business users, the Pre to the "fat middle" of the mid-to-high-end pro-sumer market, and the Pixi to entry-level, first-time smartphone users.

    As many have said, the Pixi is almost certainly a Centro for 2009. Looks like Palm once again wants to trade profitability for market share - put a lot of Pixies out there at a cheap price, and you've got a much bigger, more attractive user pool for developers to write loads of awesome apps.
  18. atlanta's Avatar
    Posts
    324 Posts
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    #18  
    SMH (Scratching My Head) trying to figure out where the OP got that the Pre was having issues running webOS.. Most of the lag is not because of hardware..
  19. Zyphlin's Avatar
    Posts
    564 Posts
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by maven1975 View Post
    If the Pre is already having problems running WebOS with its hardware, why strip down the hardware further?

    The 8gb Pre is now $150. It will be in all likelihood free by Q1 of 2010. I just don't understand why Palm threw money and R&D time at this project. I understand it doesn't have a slider, but that the only thing it has going for it.

    IMO, unless they have the lag and battery life fixed in a soon to be release update for WebOS, this device will cause more negatives than its worth.

    Any thoughts?
    I think that's a BIG assumption there and one I doubt we'll see. I think its more likely that come Q2 or so of next year we see a beefed up Pre back at the $199 price point with the older ones going into the sunset.

    It seems pretty evident to me the point of the Pixie is to set it up as the "steup up from dumphone", centro-esque low end device with the Pre being the higher end, better specs, more robust top end device.
  20. #20  
    I think the point of the Pixi is that it is aimed at a different demographic then the Pre. This phone is squarely focused on the youth market. The smartphone market is still relatively small and I think Palm is hoping to snag a bunch of folks thinking of moving up to a smartphone. I think the Pixi will appeal to a lot of young people and first time smartphone shoppers. WebOs is sleek and intuitive, the form factor of the phone is thin and stylish and the keyboard makes it a great option for those who don’t like virtual keyboards. Add in the fact that it will sell for 99 bucks and I think a lot of people will jump on this especially once it arrives on multiple carriers. The centro sold very well for Palm and I have no doubt the Pixi will as well. At any rate its great to see another WebOs option in the marketplace.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions