Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    He may not be on a pre. Not all mobile devices have a dedicated period key.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    But Pre vs Pixi doesn't hold up to your theory at all because the Pre is so appealing. I'm not saying the Pixi is a slouch at all, but the Pre elegance and style has proven to be a real eye catcher for many of our wives/husbands/girlfriends/daughters/brothers/parents etc.
    my girlfriend thinks my pre is neat and all, but she actually wants to get a pixi. more form factors mean more appeal to a selection of folks.
    All this talk about "candybar" vs "slide out" keyboard is all well and good, but isn't it time for Palm to get smart and have an " Onscreen Virtual Querty Keyboard"?
    The crappy, sharp edged, recessed keyboard has elegance and style? Umm..no. When the Pre is closed and looks like a rock, yes. When it's open and has to be used? No. Over engineered. Simple would've been better. Forget the curved slider and crappy keyboard. A non recessed one would be easier to type on with more space between keys. There's nothing elegant about it. Would take the Pixie any day if I were to ever go back to webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Treo vs Centro can fit that logic because the Centro looks slightly less intimidating. But Pre vs Pixi doesn't hold up to your theory at all because the Pre is so appealing. I'm not saying the Pixi is a slouch at all, but the Pre elegance and style has proven to be a real eye catcher for many of our wives/husbands/girlfriends/daughters/brothers/parents etc.

The only way I can see justification for the Pixi is if it were free because $50 isn't a big deal for a phone that is more enticing to both the geeks and the average consumer.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    How exactly are people typing on the Pre keyboard that would cause them to complain about the "sharp edge"? My thumbs rest on the inner-lip, which is blunted and comfortable to lay my thumbs on. Lots of things to complain about with the Pre, but the sharp edge is a reach, in my opinion.
    I had it for almost a week, and while I wasn't slicing tomatoes with it, the edges were noticeable. The recess made everything seem cramped. It's just a dumb design regardless if it works for you or not. There was simply no logical reason outside of Palm thinking it was cool to make the slider curved and the keyboard recessed. Could I have adjusted to it over time? Possibly, but it never took me time to adjust to(or did I just flat out not like from the get go) any keyboard and that's going through a 700p, Centro, Pro, BB 8830 and BB Tour. Outside of the OS shortcomings, it just wasn't worth the effort.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Gotcha. Well, to each his own. I don't have particularly large hands, so it probably affects me less than others. For once these doll hands are to my advantage
    I actually have long thin fingers. Not big handed at all. It does come down to preference. I just don't think I've read anywhere about how great the keyboard is. Everything has been about adjusting to it. If you're building a product from scratch where the big plus is this full screen phone with a vertical slider, wouldn't you focus on making the keyboard at least as good as your previous efforts or up to the standards of the other decent qwerty boards out there?
    I have to agree with alot of people. Arent Palm and Sprint listening to our suggestions? Aren't they looking at it's competition and trying to outshine the other? Webos, in my opinion is a very optimal OS. I actually enjoy it now more than the iPhone OS. It is great, a little slower than the 3Gs OS. Now, the whole memory thing, I do realize that the iphone when it came out was only 8gig, however you cant start backwards. The iphone has been out for over 2years now, so you unfortunately have to build upon that, so why didnt the pre come out with at least 16G and to outdo it's competitors, a smart card. Extendable memory would have been a great benefit. Now why would they come out with a phone that has a smaller screen, non retractable keyboard? Oh well, that seems to be the pattern of Sprint and their phones, they just cant seem to get it exactly right.
    I don't necessarily get the large screen thing. I'm all for more real estate, but I'm tired of big phones. One reason why I'd have a hard time entertaining the TP2. I like a compact form factor. The old i500, Centro, BB Curve. So the point of having a smaller footprint than some other full screen phones is quite alright. I don't want a phone as big as the iphone if I don't have to. I just don't seem to have that option anymore in the smartphone realm without sacrifice. They seem to be more concerned with overthinking and outdoing one another instead of making the product right. Just like the digital camera companies are so obsessed with megapixels yet they don't really expand the sensors to compensate. So the 12mp compacts have worse image quality than my Canon SD880 or worse high iso than the older Fuji SuperCCD models.

I'm actually going to entertain the Hero because I can. I'd like to try the Pixie, but the PIM is still what it is, watered down to meet the needs of google. Until that changes, webOS doesn't cut it no matter what form factor you put it in.
    According to what Mr. Rubenstein said last night, reasons to buy the Pixie instead of the Pre are: candybar form factor, it's smaller than the Pre, and it's also cheaper.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnienyc View Post
    According to what Mr. Rubenstein said last night, reasons to buy the Pixie instead of the Pre are: candybar form factor, it's smaller than the Pre, and it's also cheaper.
    what terrible reasons in my opinion...
    1)candybar phones are UGLY to me.
    2)the pre is small enough -_-
    3)$149 for a smartphone is NOT that much money...

just saying!
    Quote Originally Posted by joshwithachance View Post
    what terrible reasons in my opinion...
    1)candybar phones are UGLY to me.
    2)the pre is small enough -_-
    3)$149 for a smartphone is NOT that much money...

just saying!
    It's a good thing you aren't their target demographic or they would be screwed.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    Seriously, considering that you are spending about $70*24 for the phone, it costs less than 3% more to get the Pre over the Pixi.

And that is assuming you don't get it for $99 at ratshack.
    many people ask for an on-screen virtual keyboard, I am a palm user because I personally prefer a physical keyboard and DON'T LIKE SLIDERS. In fact I hate them, slide them up, to its side or tilt them whatever they all suck. The Pre is a great phone but the fact that I have to slide down the keyboard everytime I have to write something just pushes me to get the Pixi. Having a smaller screen for me is a small price to pay to dump the slide system for good. What really makes me sad is that it isn't as powerfull as the Pre Not like I am swimming in money but I would pay an extra buck for that device if it was as powerful as the Pre.
    ...less quality pictures come on, after I was feeling lucky not having to be with my handheld camera all the time because my Pre picture quality was good, maybe not great but over OK for a fly picture!!

And just for the note, most of you must have some pretty spoiled kids, I've been reading through this thread that you got them the Pre or will get them the Pixi LOL LOL when I haded my first phone I haded to buy it and pay the monthly bill as well LOL
    is the Pixi any faster than the pre?
    Obviously you are not from the target demographic of 12-15 year old females!

They need to do a commercial with a big biker dude in a bar who is saying to the other big biker dudes, "Want to see my Pixi?"

- Craig
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    The biggest cost associated with purchasing a cellphone are the monthly charges not the initial cost of the phone. I think the advantges of having a cheaper phone is more of a selling point than an actual advantage.
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    i like the pixie. but will probably stick with my pre. just about 95% of the time i leave my keyboard slid out anyways so i can see why they didn't make this phone a slider. very nice looking phone though. i might recommend it to my gf since we're on the same plan.
    I will never understand why we're asking this question.

It's the answer to people who like a keyboard that's always out, the old style.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast