Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    When the Pre first was launched, many people were in shock at how much smaller it was than the iPhone's screen. (Sorry I said it...) But seriously, the Pixi's is only 2.6 inches! Look at the screen comparison on Gizmodo's website:

Palm Pixi Hands On: The Smaller Pre With A Better Keyboard and No Wi-Fi - Palm pixi - Gizmodo

This makes the Pre's screen look huge! Is anyone else concerned? I guess we should wait until it comes out, but I wanted others' ideas.

I'd say, shrink the (relatively) large Sprint logo, move the keyboard down a millimeter, and add some more screen!
    i think it all depends on the user.. most black berry screens are about the same size as the pixi and i think thats the user palm is trying to go after with the Pixi.. my concern is more along the lines of apps on the Pixi.. Think of the apps now that are formatted for the Pre, how are they going to display on the Pixi?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by illskill View Post
    i think it all depends on the user.. most black berry screens are about the same size as the pixi and i think thats the user palm is trying to go after with the Pixi.. my concern is more along the lines of apps on the Pixi.. Think of the apps now that are formatted for the Pre, how are they going to display on the Pixi?
    Regarding apps, because they are written in HTML/Javascript, they scale very well with different screen sizes/resolutions. That won't be a problem.
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    I think this is just the case of usual new model growing pains, er shrinking pains. I started with a Treo 300 and wound up with the Centro. Each time I thought "wow that's small", sometimes the keyboard, sometimes the screen. or both. In the end you just get used to it.
    I think the size isn't a problem. The slightly lower vertical resolution IS a problem. It is for my applications and I'm sure it is for most game developers.

It's completely beyond me why Palm choose to not stick to the same display resolution the pre has. Horrible choice.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    Global Posts
    185 Global Posts
    I have to agree with TheMarco. the problem is not with the screen form factor.

we develop applications which are "best seen" using 320x480... now we have to consider screen resolution, query the device type and adjust the apps/games for 320x400 as well.

big headache!
    Avner.
    @avnerarbel

WritePad HD - http://goo.gl/8RQmn
    Coloring Book HD - http://goo.gl/XgezU
    Animal Baby Piano - http://goo.gl/Y5UXg
    Four in a row - http://goo.gl/tHF63
    I personally think that the screen size might just be a concern in the long run for some people. One of my complaints was that the Pre screen was barely there at 3.1 inches and i've been itching to ditch the less than 3'' universe of phones i always find myself (mostly previous Treos).

On the other side, it would be a boon to others who are new to the smartphone fold and are used to AfroBerry's and their form-factor, plus let's not forget the always exposed keyboard.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Most women will tell you (unless its your wife) that size does matter!

Can you imagine playing WordAce on the Pixi's screen? Does webOS scale by squishing or just by only rendering the 400 of the 480 pixels (and thus by cutting off the last 80)?
    The whole 'it will scale' thing is simply not true. It will be fine for browsing and stuff but any application that's currently made to use the whole Pre screen will be 'scrollable' on the Pixi which is a crappy user experience.

In 2000-2002 I've developed a lot of applications for i-mode, a mobile platform that seemed promising at the time. Every single phone had a different display resolution including a different horizontal resolution. It was a horrible pain in the ****.

I was truly hoping Palm would stick to the 320x480 'standard' that was first set by the iPhone. The fact that the iPhone and the Pre share this one characteristic is awesome. It means it's easier to build sites perfectly accessible on both phones.

Palm is now re-introducing the headaches of having to test for which device your app is running on and having to make annoying tweaks to make things work on both of them. It's gonna suck. Hard. And now let's pray they won't introduce yet different sizes on future devices which I now fear they will. *sigh*
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    The whole 'it will scale' thing is simply not true. It will be fine for browsing and stuff but any application that's currently made to use the whole Pre screen will be 'scrollable' on the Pixi which is a crappy user experience.

In 2000-2002 I've developed a lot of applications for i-mode, a mobile platform that seemed promising at the time. Every single phone had a different display resolution including a different horizontal resolution. It was a horrible pain in the ****.

I was truly hoping Palm would stick to the 320x480 'standard' that was first set by the iPhone. The fact that the iPhone and the Pre share this one characteristic is awesome. It means it's easier to build sites perfectly accessible on both phones.

Palm is now re-introducing the headaches of having to test for which device your app is running on and having to make annoying tweaks to make things work on both of them. It's gonna suck. Hard. And now let's pray they won't introduce yet different sizes on future devices which I now fear they will. *sigh*

Spoken like somebody who actually gets it. Thank you.

Standard screen size is one thing that make the iPhone/iPod platform nice to develop for. Nonstandard screen size (along with nonstandard features like keyboard or not, accelerometer or not, etc...) are things that make Android and WinMo sucky to develop for.

Yes, we can use the OS features to scale, scroll, crop, etc. But that is not a good way to handle a UI that is designed to be full screen. At best, it's cumbersome for developers of full screen apps. At worst, it makes it impractical to try and support all devices.

Fullscreen apps and games that have extensive artwork and make many calculations based on screen size are not easily changed for an arbitrary screen size. If you want to back off and generalize the app for any screen size, that is almost always going to cost you in one or more areas of: performance, usability, aesthetics, efficiency.
    From a functional standpoint, the smaller screen will result in more vertical scrolling. That's that tradeoff when designing a smartphone with an exposed keyboard and trying to keep the overall size reasonable. Personally as a business user, I prefer the Pixi form factor and exposed keyboard so I would opt for the Pixi over the Pre. Of course, I'll have to see both the Pre and Pixi side-by-side in the Sprint store before making any final decisions!
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    why would palm change the screen res? i admit im not developer (props again to those that are) but from what im hearing on here (and assumptions i make) uniform sizes are just easier. why would palm mess with this?
    Wow, it seems we have a bunch of developers here bashing Palm's choice. My opinion? Adapt.

Do you seriously think we can stick to one resolution? The iPhone will, eventually, get a higher resolution. Everything changes and high resolutions are just a matter of time. Sure the Pixie has a lower resolution but that doesn't change the fact that you need to adapt in this industry to get ahead.

I'm also a little perplexed as to why many seem to think it's so difficult or impossible to work with multiple resolutions. Whatever happened to graceful degradation? The web is perfect for this.

The way I see it, you need to approach development in two different ways depending on your end goal.

1. Use standard web development practices. You can use percentages & ems for size handling and position the items via CSS to ensure that they do not break. webOS widgets, very gracefully, work in all situations I've seen thus far. There is little to no reason to use specific sizes when developing standard application.
    2. Use game development techniques when working on games. You don't think game developer create games for one resolution, do you? Even for consoles like the XBox 360 have to support about a dozen of resolutions. Use the screen width and height as the base for all calculations and generate your sprites as appropriate. There are many development techniques you can use to accomplish this.

So, I don't really understand why there are any issues here. You can't rely on one resolution forever.

Games seem to be the biggest topic regarding screen size but in the console / PC gaming industries, development houses work with dozens of resolutions and always use the screen size to relatively position objects. Why should / would the mobile space be any different?
    Last edited by Kasracer; 09/14/2009 at 11:45 PM.
    If the Pixi takes off and outsells the Pre, I wonder if developers will design apps first for the Pixi. This is what happened when the Treo came along leaving those with 320x480 Palms waiting for developers to make apps to fill their screens.
    I also am not a developer, so please pardon my ignorance.

How is this any different than developing for say, Android? Don't those developers have to deal with a variety of screen sizes?
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcoaster View Post
    ....I'd say, shrink the (relatively) large Sprint logo, move the keyboard down a millimeter, and add some more screen!
    You mean like this?

I agree, that's what they should have done.
    LaunchPoint Speed Dial - There's no faster way to dial, email, or text, period.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by philburkhardt View Post
    I also am not a developer, so please pardon my ignorance.

How is this any different than developing for say, Android? Don't those developers have to deal with a variety of screen sizes?
    That's one of the things that sucks about Android. But also, that you never know what features you can expect on a device, since they all vary in terms of keyboard (or not), accelerometer, and sound features.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by worthb View Post
    you mean like this?

i agree, that's what they should have done.
    Exactly.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by worthb View Post
    You mean like this?

I agree, that's what they should have done.

I'd vote for the longer device with the "whole screen". Nevermind games but even from a business user perspective it's a lot more fun reading your email with all those lines. I was a long time treo guy but gave up and moved to winmo waiting for webos. So went from the latest POS 320x320 to a winmo 320x480 slider. I couldn't stand the slider form factor so went back to a 320x320 winmo with exposed keyboard. I really miss the extra screen area for reading emails.

the long device pictured above would be my ideal form factor.

One might think that long is a problem- but right now i have a Saga which is very long. Yet it feels very small and pocketable becasue it's so thin.

I guess when verizon gets webos in the beginning of next year I'll have to decide if I can put up with the slider of the pre or the smaller screen of the pixi.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    also- I'm no developer- and maybe those guys complaining are lazy or something. (I dont personally think so). But I'll tell you the real world with different screen sizes the end user gets hosed. Winmo is a fine example. Everything is written for 240x240 and 320x240 (apparently they use similar object sizes or something- not sure of the technical details of winmo). BUT only a subset of things work with 320x320. Sure you can get a browser or simple text stuff to work on a 320x320 but the "cool" stuff like gps apps, sling player, and yes those games all are a headache waiting for developers to redo things for the 320x320 crowd.

Not looking forward to palm making piles of different screen resolutions the norm. Yes eventually there will be an "HD Ipod" and the apple screen size will change, but for years people wrote to the same size and even with a change there will only be 2 screens to keep in mind so the developers will follow. But out of the gate Palm now has 2 and as time goes on they will only be adding. Doesn't seem real wise.
    Last edited by efudd; 09/16/2009 at 08:10 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast