Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post

I was truly hoping Palm would stick to the 320x480 'standard' that was first set by the iPhone. The fact that the iPhone and the Pre share this one characteristic is awesome. It means it's easier to build sites perfectly accessible on both phones.*
    That resolution was made standard by the Palm TX.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Small screen, but I still like it
    This market wants to be able to tell their friends that they have a Pixie.

They won't care about their screen size.

- Craig
    I know I'm the oddball here, but I'd much rather have a small screen with higher pixel density/sharpness, than a large one with that is not as crisp. Within reason of course, I know there is a practical aspect of using your fingers to operate apps and whatnot. I abhorred it when all these winmo phones with 3+ inches screen size were coming out with 320x240 resolution. I really think we should be at the point where individual pixels are virtually indistinguishable to the naked eye.

To some fellow developers, yes it sucks that palm reintroduced the whole screen size difference issue, but it's not something devs haven't dealt with before. If anything, at least palm is making it easier for many. Devs who's apps are based on web standards, will definitely have a much easier time making their apps work on the pixi.

Also, I personally think that pixi mockup with the huge screen looks horrible, from a design standpoint. It looks pretty unusable and unbalanced, although obviously it wsa just a quick mockup meant to demonstrate how they could have better used the space available. I agree with that I guess, I think palm could have fit those extra 80 pixels in there.
    Its still a pretty big screen considering the form factor..compare it to a blackberry, or the old palms
    Prē *********♥
    1Ghz
    Pixi *********♥
    Patched up
    (Gone)
    Now on a Samsung Epic
    *Creator of the best thread on precentral*

RIP

The problem arises with a program which has a large number of controls on a 320x480 screen and not much freespace. (eg a calculator) The controls may be the minimum recommended pixel size and so cannot be reduced in size. In that case scrolling is inevitable on the smaller screen with a consequent poorer user experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    I was truly hoping Palm would stick to the 320x480 'standard' that was first set by the iPhone. The fact that the iPhone and the Pre share this one characteristic is awesome. It means it's easier to build sites perfectly accessible on both phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdlyall View Post
    That resolution was made standard by the Palm TX.
    You mean that wasn't invented by apple either.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Palm TX? Didn't the Tungsten T3 also have this resolution?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12