Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    I use my wifi a lot. Not to tether, just because I find the connection to be more solid, faster and reliable. I wish the Pixi had wifi, I really do. but that's not a deal breaker. My wife is using a Treo 755p with no wifi, so she won't mind\care that the Pixi doesn't either. She likes the Pixi's form factor better than the Pre so she'll most likely try out the Pixi. if she can't get a clear connection at work and at home she'll most likey return it within 30 days and switch over to the Pre. Nonetheless she would rather have the Pixi.

Wifi just makes the phone more usuable under various circumstances. Palm should have included it in the Pixi.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    In the UK O2 compress images coming through 3G, so when you are looking at websites with pictures of *ahem* landscapes on, it's far better through wi-fi.

Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC 3200 (bad move) > Treo Pro (not as bad but still WinMo) > Palm Pre
    actually the inclusion of wifi in the Pixi would have seriously compromised it's aesthetic design just like the inclusion of a card slot in the Pre or the Pixi...cough cough bullsh*t cough cough...
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Target market. Product differentiation.
    Quote Originally Posted by DervMan View Post
    Target market. Product differentiation.
    Well, the droid eris will come with wifi and a 5mp camera for $100.

Their missing their target IMO.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Is that a contract charge or an unlocked charge?
    $99 with a two year agreement.

I guess release is one week earlier than Pixi. To me it looks like Verizon has chosen to support a platform... Android... and more against iPhone than anything else and they don't even care if it tramples on Storm2 or their future Palm releases.

Quote Originally Posted by DervMan View Post
    Is that a contract charge or an unlocked charge?
    Last edited by donm527; 10/29/2009 at 03:42 PM.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Now see, it's the overall cost that gets me, assuming the Pixi requires the same contract as the Pre...

I'm hoping the unlocked cost is way lower than the Pre's 450.
    I would guess that you do not own a laptop. The tethering feature came in handy while vacationing in an area where cable & phone were not easily accessible.
    no need for wifi here - evdo is as fast as l I need and uses less battery
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Not sure how wanting to tether or not makes any difference whatsoever..?
    Leaked docs show HTC's DROID Eris launching on November 6th for $99, running Android 1.5

Wifi... 5mp camera... video recorder. pixi... has a keyboard. What do you think the odds the Pixi will go for $75 or free after a short time? Honestly, they are not going to bring in new sprint customers when Verizon has a $99 phone like that and ATT has the iPhone unless they drop the price.

Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    $99 with a two year agreement.

I guess release is one week earlier than Pixi. To me it looks like Verizon has chosen to support a platform... Android... and more against iPhone than anything else and they don't even care if it tramples on Storm2 or their future Palm releases.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I really want to see unlocked handset costs and for the Pre, I am just not comfortable with it being an O2 exclusive.

I'm paying 648 over 18 months for a
    my E71-1 handset and service. Without the handset it would have been 450 and at the time, an unlocked E71-1 was around 280. At the time it was cheaper to go for the operator-provided handset.

I can't make the comparison with the WebOS handsets yet; shoot no-one can. So how do the other handsets compare?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    Why do you need wifi?

Gawd, answering this question gets boring:

1.) It is faster
    2.) There are areas with wifi coverage and not EVDO
    3.) Opens up a world of local network streaming, etc.

I would get the Pixi in a second, but w/o wifi, it's a complete fail.

I'll wait for the Pixi 2, which should come in Q3 2010, with Wifi.

HUGE, HUGE fail by Palm. This would have sold more than the Pre. But think farked it.
    I love my WiFi to!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwayzRight View Post
    Why is anyone *****ing about WIFI?...you can get homebrew without it. Is your battery life REALLY that big of a deal? Do you cheap people really need a better option to tether and steal the internet?

So ill say again...Why do you NEED wifi?....what am I missing out that is SO important?...maybe I am just ignorant about something.....
    Troll is troll.
    Its been 3 weeks since i last used wifi and it was to show a friend a youtube video
    Unless you count useing my phone as a hotspot so **** ya i need wifi i use it every day lol
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Why is it the phone companies always see the little phones as "entry level"? Have they forgotten that some of their customers are female and might want a really powerful phone that still fits nicely in their jeans front pocket?

The Pre is my first phone with wifi and I've only had it for 3 weeks - I live in a big city and EVDO is plenty fast for me. But I sync with Outlook, with Pocketmirror. My ability to sync with Outlook IS a dealbreaker, even if wifi is not, and if the ONLY option I have for syncing is wifi, then no Pixi for me.

Sorry, Sprint, I would have added a new line of service to get the Pixi. You really dropped the ball on this one.
    Best reason I've heard so far. HTC Hero does sync via USB with Outlook. The Eris is Verizon's Hero. Funny over there it comes with an 8gb card where it only came with a 2gb one on the Hero. Still not enough to justify the higher plan costs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flur View Post
    The Pre is my first phone with wifi and I've only had it for 3 weeks - I live in a big city and EVDO is plenty fast for me. But I sync with Outlook, with Pocketmirror. My ability to sync with Outlook IS a dealbreaker, even if wifi is not, and if the ONLY option I have for syncing is wifi, then no Pixi for me.

Sorry, Sprint, I would have added a new line of service to get the Pixi. You really dropped the ball on this one.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    I havnt read all the posts, but I will tell you why it is important to me. I dont get great service at home, so I usually have to toggle my roam only button that I patched in. So if I want to do any data on roaming, it is 1x, which if anyone has noticed is painfully slow.

So thats when it is most important for me.

Other than that, I keep it on all the time and when I'm in range of a network it grabs onto it. It is quicker that data. But I guess you are right, I dont NEED it, but it makes my life much easier and my phone experience much smoother.

But if we're talking about what we NEED, do I really need a smartphone at all? Nope, but I like it---thats why I got it.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast