Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    In my basement where my home theatre is, I get little to no data signal.. Wifi works great down there.. Same thing with a bar I go to that's in a basement, but again, has Wifi..

Also, WIfi with the right internet connection is probably 5 times faster than "G3".
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    It's all to sell more phones. X amount of people will still buy the Pixie and the BB Tour without wifi. A percentage of those who bought those two phones will purchase the "upgraded" version WITH wifi; additionally, those who didn't buy the phone because it didn't have wifi will now jump on the bandwagon when wifi is added. End result = more phones sold. $$$

Pixie with wifi will be out by what...June of 2010?
    In Today's Society
    No wifi = kid phone or technologically inept

Mostly every college campus, family above poverty, McDonalds, Starbucks, Library, etc. have wifi coverage. Heck, Canada is about to get wifi for the masses! Why Palm would not include cheap wifi in the Pixi is beyond me but for Sprint to accept a phone like this is pre-tty dumb seeing how this may bog down their services if more and more people get this phone.

WebOS is internet based, people will start using all of its features heavily and if they are not getting speed, then you can bet on those Pixi customers flipping out and returning phones. I would have much rather them take out gps than wifi. You can always get a little addon for that or buy a dedicated version like a garmin.
    Yeah... Palm should strike up a deal with Broadcom or Qualcomm: "do you guys still have any leftover 802.11b chips you want to sell?"

Then throw them on the Pixi.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    this my friends is what we call a troll post. he just wants replies to further his ego. Most people now a days have wifi in their homes. Also, a lot of college students use it at school or at the widely popular book stores (Borders, Barnes and Noble) seeing as they provide free internet over wifi.
    Didn't I read some where that starting in 2010, all Sprint smartphones will have wifi? Will they have to add wifi to the Pixi starting next year or stop calling it a smartphone? If the Pixi is not a smartphone, then could it not be used on a current SERO plan?
    ( I know I'm being a troublemaker with this one )
    Simple! I want a way to get my email for work and internet in spots where the sprint service may be bad! Plus I pay Comcast $60 a month for my net at home. Have an option to use something that I already have that's faster is also nice....I my self personally would not buy any smart device with out WiFi.....
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    In major metro cities like Los Angeles, EVDO works great and is comparable to WiFi speeds. Some cities however, don't have EVDO coverage. Try downloading a large app, syncing your 100+ Gmail contacts, or even downloading a Palm update over a crappy 1X connection. Believe me it. is. so. slow... Having WiFi is an absolute must for me.
    Global Posts
    299 Global Posts
    I have to admit I got my PRE the day it launched. I use wi-fi RARELY. I discovered something very interesting by mistake. I was using it one night to down load something and I forgot to shut it off. That night I got 0% battery drain, most night 30 to 50% was normal. So now at home I only keep wi-fi on.
    Global Posts
    299 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by antmelnat View Post
    Didn't I read some where that starting in 2010, all Sprint smartphones will have wifi? Will they have to add wifi to the Pixi starting next year or stop calling it a smartphone? If the Pixi is not a smartphone, then could it not be used on a current SERO plan?
    ( I know I'm being a troublemaker with this one )
    May only be ALL SMART PHONES RELEASED AFTER 2010, just a thought
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eazyslim123 View Post
    In Today's Society
    No wifi = kid phone or technologically inept
    Heh, not far from the truth. My son has a Moto-Q9 and I'm considering getting him the Pixie when it comes out. I was considering it for me too (I <3 my pre, but wanted something .. stronger). But since I got the sprint hard/slider case, I l <3 my pre even more
    Good idea about the b chips at least you would have wifi, even if it wasn't the fastest that's out there, it is still faster than the Sprint network and would probably get some more people to buy the phone that want wifi.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwayzRight View Post
    steal the internet
    hurr
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I actually never used Wifi on my Pre (well, RARELY, anyway) and today in one of my lectures I was so bored and I wasn't able to stay connected to any data so I had to use Wifi to get my facebook fix :P

But with the way the Pixi is shaping up I'm sure I'll survive without it...
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Having reflected on this and at least for me, it will come down to form factor and cost rather than WLAN or not.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    I Have moved on to the gorgeous Pro2. A Smartphone is not a "smartphone" without WIFI. Otherwise, its a Dumbphone. And my Touch Pro2 is definatly a "SmartPhone"!
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I disagree completely: what makes a smartphone "smart" is not the radio technologies but how they're used.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    I totally agree with you! I was just being dumb. But still, the lacking of the WIFI chipset just cuts another form of communication from the phone and its user. Therefore, I am putting the blame on Palm. I bet they would sell a lot more Pixi's if WIFI had been not been cut.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I'm not convinced, simply because the majority of users in the forum are not Palm's target market as we're "geekier than average." The Pixi looks, to me, like a superb messaging device for those SMS, MMS and email happy people.

Subject to who, where and how, I would expect that if the Pixi is priced at Centro levels, it could sell by the bucketload in the United Kingdom. Going on my Pre experience with O2, it'll be a failure. :-( If another network picks it up and aims it square at the young and mobile-savvy generation it could be a winner.

Thinking about my personal circumstances and to expand on my above comment, I only use the WLAN on my E71 because it's there and it isn't a deal breaker. I have a "prudent use infinite data" plan with UK T-Mobile (soft capped at 1 Gb); I get a signal almost absolutely everywhere and free, reliable WLAN is hard to find in my usual British haunts. Not having the WLAN radio isn't a deal breaker by any stretch. Sure, I would miss it, just not enough to worry about it.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Not really a deal breaker for me. I COULD live without it. But i tend to use my Pro2's WIFI alot during class mainly because of the on and off reception.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast