Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    I gotta say, I was stoked on switching over to WebOS and getting the Pixie. When I found out it didn't have WiFi, I instantly changed my mind. Regardless of Palm's reasoning (and I'm a total palm fanboy), I think it's a poor choice to release ANY slick new smartphone without wifi these days. Its uses have all been mentioned above. I could probably survive without wifi, but, there are enough choices out there where I don't have to.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    But you're not the target market.

The target market is somebody who wants a smartphone but doesn't necessarily know what they want it for.

My father is a good example. He told me he wanted a smartphone because he wanted "he internet and email with him all the time and a nice touchscreen." So he went into a store and was signed up for a BlackBerry Storm quicker than you could say "bosh." He excitedly told me it has GPRS and GPS and a touchscreen...

By the time we understand what we can do with a smartphone, we may know we want WLAN, or we are happy with the compromise.

Unfortunately, my wife now has an iPhone, so she appreciates WLAN access, heh!
    My battery life is better on WIFI.
    Whoever took the decision of not putting wifi on a brand new flashy 2010 phone like the pixie should be sacked and never allowed to take business decisions again.

I wouldn't give the guy who started this thread (hence questioning the absence of wifi) desicional power either...
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Again, you're missing the point as the Pixi isn't for "power users" but for people looking for an introduction to smartphones / clever feature 'phones.
    I often work in situations where I can't get a phone signal, but there is local wi-fi. That's why it is useful for me.

Larry
    jesus if im anywhere where there is WIFI and im going to be there for an extended period of time im gonna jump on their WIFI, its WAY faster then sprints network
    I travel several times a year, and spend hours waiting in airports or in business-oriented hotels. Often these places have a weak EVDO signal (especially inside a large hotel), but have local wi-fi networks that are often free (most IHOP restaraunts have free wi-fi if I'm on the road in a car). This lets me surf the net (a major use of the phone for me) faster and with less battery drain. So for me, wi-fi isn't essential, but it is very nice to have.

I'm told that you can download purchases from the Amazon.com MP3 app over wi-fi, but you can't do so over EVDO. Haven't tried it myself, but for a true MP3 junkie it could be a big plus.
    Mike B in OKlahoma

Palm V-->Palm Vx-->Palm m505-->Garmin iQue3600-->Treo 650-->Treo 755p-->Palm Pre

Global Posts
    299 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwayzRight View Post
    Yeah I asked that question...what are you on Pandora for 4 hours or something?...The VAST majority of people are not on thier cell phone browser all of time...they use a COMPUTER for that.
    I drive for a living my PRE is my computer during the day. I carry 4 batteries, I do not drain 4 batteries a day, but I like to know if I want to I have them
    im a teen and i want the pixi so bad and one thing i dont understand is that all phones with wifi require an internet plan. why can i just have a messaging phone with wifi?? but either way im still getting the pixi. im pretty new to phone internet and i might not use it alot but i know that im on my computer from school time to sleepy time. so wifi would be an added bonus. but i could live on texting all the time. But my question again is WHY DO PHONES WITH WIFI REQUIRE INTERNET PLANS?
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    you need wifi so that when you don't have sprint coverage you can still use the web

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    because people like you are in the minority. And I don't care who says they're only going to use wifi, I still call bullsh*t. It sounds great in theory and maybe for a device like the Touch or just a pda that isn't an always with you device, but not a phone that you're always carrying but not always near wifi. There's going to be times when you're not near wifi and want access. And ala carte data usage is quite costly.

Quote Originally Posted by its that nerd View Post
    im a teen and i want the pixi so bad and one thing i dont understand is that all phones with wifi require an internet plan. why can i just have a messaging phone with wifi?? but either way im still getting the pixi. im pretty new to phone internet and i might not use it alot but i know that im on my computer from school time to sleepy time. so wifi would be an added bonus. but i could live on texting all the time. But my question again is WHY DO PHONES WITH WIFI REQUIRE INTERNET PLANS?
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Alright, i think i have a little bit of Troll Treats in my pocket....

Your right, we don't need Wi-Fi... and when you think about it, we don't need an App Catalog, touchscreen, camera, calculator, GPS or even a cell phone at all. In fact, civilization has progressed for thousands of years without a means to watch Youtube or stream Pandora.

So why do we NEED it now? Because the majority of us smartphone users want it. The Palm Pre has several features that I will NEVER use (Nascar app), yet I'm not posting about how it's taking up precious space on my phone. Don't like Wi-Fi or see it's purpose, then don't use it. Let us who do use and want it, enjoy it.

I'm out of Troll Treats... time to go home.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    What a stupid question:
    I can use PocketMirror to sync my Outlook account which is not available any other method.
    Well, this might actually be an additional impulse for Chapura and Markspace to develop syncing capabilities over Bluetooth or USB.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    The wifi is a nice feature. I have wifi at my house and there is getting to be wifi everywhere. It's a feature. I don't use the 'z' button all the time but I want a phone with one.
    well i guess you guys are right. plus maybe wifi will stop me from being a surfer all day
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    because people like you are in the minority. And I don't care who says they're only going to use wifi, I still call bullsh*t. It sounds great in theory and maybe for a device like the Touch or just a pda that isn't an always with you device, but not a phone that you're always carrying but not always near wifi. There's going to be times when you're not near wifi and want access. And ala carte data usage is quite costly.
    You are right now that i think about it and i appreciate you giving me details about why. i thanked you!it was stern but to the point.
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    Well, this might actually be an additional impulse for Chapura and Markspace to develop syncing capabilities over Bluetooth or USB.
    Actually shouldn't be too hard. Just use Linux USBNet, it becomes an Ethernet device peer with the host computer. Then sync through the local network.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    I use wifi every day, I wouldnt have gotten the phone if it didnt have it.. Thats the main reason why i didnt get a Tour.

Think of it.. Not everyone lives in a major city with EVDO. I live in the country where i get 1xrtt speed, My evdo speed when i go into town isnt that impressive i get maybe 400kb down and 100k up, With wifi i have removed the bottleneck on the network, so i can browse internet fast.
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast