Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyral View Post
    Verizon also accepted quite a few returns on the Storm, if I remember correctly.

The OP hasn't responded in this thread since 9/9. I think we are all just preaching to the choir now.
    I just really want him to tell me what it means to steal the internet. I keep thinking of Al Gore's invention every time I read that...

nb
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I keep WiFi on when I'm in my hometown - I have connection at home, at the office, and roughly in 50% of places where I go out. Thanks to the use of WiFi (I think) my Pre battery lives much longer recently - this morning I picked it up from Touchstone at 7:15am and right now (almost 2pm) it is at 88% with moderate usage. Two weeks ago during my trip to DC area I couldn't get WiFi most of the time and my Pre was down to 40% of battery capacity in similar circumstances.
    Of course being able to browse the web when on call with somebody is another important benefit of WiFi.
    haha i love how this thread is still going. Alwayzright you really pissed people off lol
    Philadelphia, murder capital of the world
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    When I had my centro, I was fine with not having Wi-Fi.. but I recently moved and I get NO RECEPTION.. its horrible.. Only then is Wi-Fi important to me.. I actually really like the Pixi and think it will do well, I'd get it but I need that wifi like crack!
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwayzRight View Post
    Why is anyone *****ing about WIFI?...you can get homebrew without it. Is your battery life REALLY that big of a deal? Do you cheap people really need a better option to tether and steal the internet?

So ill say again...Why do you NEED wifi?....what am I missing out that is SO important?...maybe I am just ignorant about something.....
    Well, I've read enough of your posts to determine its safe to say your an *****, your abrasive, your a jerk, your antaganistic, and your useless.

The question isn't "why do you need wifi", the question is why do reprobates like you join message boards full of good people who want to share information?

Go be a jerk on a forum more suited to 12 year olds and let the adults get on with it.
    Last edited by slthree; 09/17/2009 at 03:15 PM.
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwayzRight View Post
    Why is anyone *****ing about WIFI?...you can get homebrew without it. Is your battery life REALLY that big of a deal? Do you cheap people really need a better option to tether and steal the internet?

So ill say again...Why do you NEED wifi?....what am I missing out that is SO important?...maybe I am just ignorant about something.....
    Well some people (Including myself) lives in an area where 3G doesn't exist so wifi is a must
    Quote Originally Posted by zna03 View Post
    I need wifi so I can watch youtube vids inside my office where I get 1 signal bar max
    lol...me too:-)
    I'd buy the Pixi + (= Pixi with WiFI) in a heart beat. I'd even pay a price halfway between the Pixi and the Pre.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    It's sad that the Pixi won't have Wi-Fi. I guess Palm wants to rank the Pixi completely under the Pre.
    Since this thread has evolved beyond the op, I'll comment:

Most reasons people have already given, plus wifi allows me to use voice and data at the same time. Finally, I want to be able to use my phone for data even after I've moved on to the Pre 2 or whatever Palm comes up with.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    WIFI > EVDO period.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    am I the only person who sees the benefit of wifi as not as speed issue, but most importantly a network connectivity service. without wifi how can I browse folders on my network? or intranet pages on my office lan?
    Quote Originally Posted by chacalau View Post
    am I the only person who sees the benefit of wifi as not as speed issue, but most importantly a network connectivity service. without wifi how can I browse folders on my network? or intranet pages on my office lan?
    Honestly, I don't know how you're able to browse network folders on a PrPrPr&#$275$; $at$ $all$. $Does$ &$quot$;$Internalz$&$quot$; $support$ $that$ $or$ $something$?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    well actually I have a centro. but as this is the Pixi forum I didn't think it mattered. and this is a thread about wifi anyway.

good point though. o wanted to know if there is anything like the Palm OS WiFile app for Web OS?

Oh and I use my Sony Clie UX50 for wifi network connection... but that's kinda my point. I wanted to know if anbody else thought the main use / benefit of wifi was network connection. and not having it on my centro (Pixi) means that I have to use another device.
    Last edited by chacalau; 09/20/2009 at 11:29 AM.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    This is an interesting thread. From my British perspective, where free WLAN isn't always available and there's excellent GSM and very respectable UMTS coverage, I would miss it but I would have to deliberate if it would be worth it...

Sure, there are some things that work much better over WLAN compared with UMTS, but if an unlocked Pre (if available!) is 450 and the Pixi is 200 I'm not convinced it would be worth it.
  16. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    So what if nobody "needs" wifi? I think it's enough that a lot of us WANT wifi strongly.

So what's the point of this thread?

xtn
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    maybe the point is to discuss what wifi offers... an evaluate its importance on a mobile device.

for me, simply, it's LAN connectivity. For most they appreciate the speed.

and I would probably side with palm on this one... considering that, apparently, not many people actually want wifi for the lan protocols and authentication, why include it at all when mobile data speeds are getting faster all the time.

what are the reasons people have put forward...? to download, or stream across the internet faster... or where mobile service is poor. do you think that these are things the service providers are working on?

wifi for these purposes seems to me like a work-around... but maybe I'm not totally living on 'the cloud' yet.
    you obviously haven't read through the thread. signal cov erage is not going to improve in giant buildings or just places in general that are heavily shielded. Some homes are just constructed to shield those signals. Maybe it'sthe asbestos in the walls, who knows. If a device is going to be geared towards working in the cloud and just rely on connectiity in general it just makes sense to have it.

That being said, it's a $99 device. You want that pricepoint? no wifi. that'd be easier to swallow if they had a plethora of phones to choose from, but they don't. It's one or the other, and their 'flagship' design isn't necessarily flagship worthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by chacalau View Post
    or where mobile service is poor. do you think that these are things the service providers are working on?

wifi for these purposes seems to me like a work-around... but maybe I'm not totally living on 'the cloud' yet.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Leave it or take it.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    My thoughts exactly - take it or leave it... That and maybe a lack of understanding about the target market.