Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    I agree with chrisdaeger. Here are some obvious reasons:

1) Wifi is important especially when I travel out of the country and don't want to pay horrendously expensive roaming charges for data.
    2) Wifi is important when the 3G/HSDPA coverage is absent.
    3) Wifi is practically a standard feature in most smartphones nowadays so consumers will compare and say the Pixie is unnecessarily crippled by this omission.

The Pixie is a nice alternative for those who want a front facing keyboard and not a slider, and are prepared to put up with a smaller screen. However omission of Wifi will put off many potential buyers for the reasons I state above.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    OMG! Really Stop feeding the trolls, They are like cats they'll keep coming back.
    I like cats and I hope they keep coming back. I can do without unsubstantiated "statistics," though. If you are going to use statistics, cite your sources.
  3. jhp
    I use WiFi on my pre for all of the previously mentioned reasons; I also sometimes just use it to sniff out routers/AP's in my vicinity :^)
    i dont know about everyone else....but I need it......
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Because Chapura only syncs over WiFi. Now if Palm would provide a decent local Outlook sync feature ...
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwayzRight View Post
    Why is anyone *****ing about WIFI?...you can get homebrew without it. Is your battery life REALLY that big of a deal? Do you cheap people really need a better option to tether and steal the internet?

So ill say again...Why do you NEED wifi?....what am I missing out that is SO important?...maybe I am just ignorant about something.....
    its usually faster than normal EVDO
    Alwayzright, youre a fool.

Its obvious you probably don't even know how to use wifi, or the rest of the phones special features.

Throw your pre away and get your hands on this, im sure you can figure out how to use it. If you for some reason find still a little intimidating, use option number two.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Prē *********♥
    1Ghz
    Pixi *********♥
    Patched up
    (Gone)
    Now on a Samsung Epic
    *Creator of the best thread on precentral*

RIP

Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    you "need" wifi so you can conduct phone calls and date aka "multi-task" and Im sorry I didn't know people were cheap for using a basic feature on smart phones, Im sorry is this a Verizon forum
    Can't believe this is still an argument? Pretty much the same thread exists in the Pre, Pro, any HTC or Android forum. It gets old and tired. It's brought up whether the phone has it or not, and it's the same back and forth.

Bottom line is there are times when signal coverage sucks. My gym and many hospitals for starters, both of which have free wifi. Travelling is also key. Overseas and expensive data when you have free wifi? That's a no brainer.

If you don't want or care about wifi, fine. But is there really a need to rehash this tired old argument?
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I enjoy the wi-fi on the Pre when I'm at home but I think I could live without it for the slimmer design of the Pixi.
    Nope, wi-fi is my friend. I wouldn't buy a phone without it if I have any choice whatsoever. I use it for Amazon MP3 downloads and at home for better battery life and faster speeds.
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    I think the Pixi is fine without Wifi. It's an entry level smartphone, just like the Centro that it's replacing so most of its target market isn't going to care about Wifi. My first smartphone was a Centro and I couldn't have cared less about Wifi. My thought was "What on earth do I need Wifi on a phone for?" Of course, now that I have a Pre, I wouldn't get a phone without it. I just don't think it's really an issue for the entry level market the Pixi is aimed at. I don't think they are really expecting people to leave the Pre for the Pixi. Also, it would be pretty hard to sell the Pre if the cheaper Pixi had all the same features.
    Why is anyone *****ing about WIFI?...you can get homebrew without it. Is your battery life REALLY that big of a deal? Do you cheap people really need a better option to tether and steal the internet?

So ill say again...Why do you NEED wifi?....what am I missing out that is SO important?...maybe I am just ignorant about something.....
    The facility I work at, I can't get cell reception. But with our internal wifi network, I can still access the internet and my email. WiFi will work in places where you can't get phone reception, so I tend to think of it as a back up to not having cell reception. Doesn't work all the time, but it the mindset of having it and not needing it as opposed to needing it and not having it.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    wifi's much faster then evdo..

I like it for podcasts/etc. (a 100mb podcast comes down in just a 2 minutes using wifi.. and doesn't eat into my 5gb unofficial cap)
    -m
    This thread has been very interesting for me to read because I have never used my WiFi. I can not connect at work but I do have it at home. I have a few questions to ask.

1.) doesn't eat into my 5gb unofficial cap.......please explain. I did not know there was any kind of cap?
    2.) Those of you that use WiFi, are you leaving it on all the time or only turning it on as needed.
    3.) What is the battery life difference?
    4.) I know at one point, other carriers had it where the phone was also using WiFi for actual phone calls. Is this the case with Sprint?
    5.) So if I have WiFi turned on and I am at home and my WiFi is connected, just WiFi always trump EVDO as far as what the phone uses for downloads and the Internet.

Thanks in advance,
    Deano
    Thanks!!
    Last edited by floridadomer; 09/15/2009 at 10:26 AM.
    at my home i drop from 4-0 bars of sprint thus making me drop calls. I put my phone in roam only mode so i can hold onto a 2 bar recption of VZw. 1x is very slow speeds for web so I have wifi making it faster. Thats why I need wifi
    SCK Manager
    Why is anyone *****ing about WIFI?...
    Because not everyone has EVDO coverage...like me.
    Well fact is it happens and another fact is some of the people *****ing about no Wifi is because they do it....
    Ok, I'll bite:

Define steal the internet.

I guess you either mean that someone uses an unsecured connection in an unauthorized manner. I frankly don't call that stealing. If the person want their connection secure, then secure it.

Or you may mean using the internet you pay for on a separate device (ie tethering). once again, that isn't stealing. That's just use.

Are either of these what you mean?

My reasons for wanting WiFi:

CDMA can't hold voice and data, but I can surf the web and talk with WiFi.

When traveling overseas I don't want to be bothered with a data plan ( I have a simple gsm phone for voice calls if i need them) and use Wifi for my data and internet if i want to be bothered with it.

Wifi can be faster than EVDO.

Wifi can be more predictable than EVDO.

Are those enough reasons to warrant stealing the internet?

nb
    Quote Originally Posted by floridadomer View Post
    This thread has been very interesting for me to read because I have never used my WiFi. I can not connect at work but I do have it at home. I have a few questions to ask.

1.) doesn't eat into my 5gb unofficial cap.......please explain. I did not know there was any kind of cap?
    2.) Those of you that use WiFi, are you leaving it on all the time or only turning it on as needed.
    3.) What is the battery life difference?
    4.) I know at one point, other carriers had it where the phone was also using WiFi for actual phone calls. Is this the case with Sprint?
    5.) So if I have WiFi turned on and I am at home and my WiFi is connected, just WiFi always trump EVDO as far as what the phone uses for downloads and the Internet.

Thanks in advance,
    Deano
    Thanks!!
    Hi there.

1. Sprint (and other carriers) will give you an "unlimited" plan but will still cap it at 5gb/month. There are some documents out there on the interwebs about it, but i don't know of anyone who has been bothered by sprint about it. Common wisdom on the subject just says keep the data to a decent level and you won't be bothered.

2. I turn it on when i need it. I usually keep it off.

3. I keep it off most of the time, but it does seem to bite into the battery kinda hard, but then I haven't done tests to see which one effects it more.

4. I don't think so. I remember a GSM carrier (cingular I think) had a home related add on accessory that did this, but I don't think sprint did.

5. Not sure about that on.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    By the way...I didnt mean to instigate anything or offend anyone that uses WIFI..so if you are a little restless calm down if you use Wifi, good for you..the majority of people dont though... Verizon sold ALOT of Storms without Wifi and Sprint will sell ALOT of Pixis without Wifi...
    Verizon also accepted quite a few returns on the Storm, if I remember correctly.

The OP hasn't responded in this thread since 9/9. I think we are all just preaching to the choir now.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Someone needs to put up a poll on the Pre forum asking how many Pre users use wifi on a daily basis.
    I'm one.