Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwayzRight View Post
    Why is anyone *****ing about WIFI?...you can get homebrew without it. Is your battery life REALLY that big of a deal? Do you cheap people really need a better option to tether and steal the internet?

So ill say again...Why do you NEED wifi?....what am I missing out that is SO important?...maybe I am just ignorant about something.....
    Are you freaking kidding? WIFI, for me, has nothing to do with battery life or tethering and everything to do with speed and not burning through my 'unlimited' bandwidth per month. And why the hell do you care if we want want WIFI where it is available?

This is a pretty lame question to ask of a forum full of techie people.
    What a stupid question:

I use it because I don't get a good Sprint signal in my house.

I use it because I can download my podcasts a lot faster with WiFi.

I can get web pages faster.

I can access my computer via VNC thru WiFi faster and better.

I can use PocketMirror to sync my Outlook account which is not available any other method.

Should I go on with why the question is so stupid.

Oh, yes, UNLIMITED data plan is not really unlimited, it's capped at 5GB (I think that's the number), and after that you are charged by the bit.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    It is simple. IF you want wifi, get a Pre!!!

The Pixie << Pre people. The Pixie is a lower end price point and thus no wifi, smaller screen, and lower end cam. Thats just the way it is...
    Wonder if palm should have hit the high-end first though... or is the pre it?

Guess with the success of the centro, they decided to go low... but I thought the centro was not very positive on their bottom end? Maybe I'm thinking wrong.

off topic anyway... lol
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    We have no wifi out here in the sticks --- I've actually never connected the PRE to wifi -- it just shows the lock anytime I try when I'm driving outside of my immediate rural area.

It's not that I mind having it, I just wish I could use it.
    Pretty brutal way of asking but. I like my wi-fi. I have it set at work and at home.
    Does it make a big difference no.

My Wife phone has wi-fi and she never turns it on. Same with my father.
    Quote Originally Posted by mandystreasures View Post
    We have no wifi out here in the sticks --- I've actually never connected the PRE to wifi -- it just shows the lock anytime I try when I'm driving outside of my immediate rural area.

It's not that I mind having it, I just wish I could use it.
    What the problem with setting up WiFi just in your house to do just local networking stuff.

That would be a reason to use WiFi. You can get a wireless router for about $20 bucks now!

That would mean you can use some applications that use WiFi, such as I mentioned PocketTunes to sync your Outlook account.

You don't always have to have WiFi outside your house to have a need for it or to make life easier.

I'm sorry you don't have WiFi in your area outside your house when you drive around.

I don't use it for that. I use it in my house.

So your not thinking of other uses for it except for just one little thing that might use it for.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    having wifi is like having power windows in your car.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    I don't think the Pixi is aimed at people who really care whether or not a phone has Wifi. For those people who care about it, there's the Pre. For someone like my girlfriend, there's the Pixi.
    Exactly. Logic to the rescue.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I live in a city with no EVDO coverage. The 1x network around here is pretty speedy, but it's still slow. In my windows mobile days I lived with it as using wifi on your HTC device destroyed your battery. Now with the Pre I leave wifi on 24/7 as it seems to be much more efficient on this phone. With a few exceptions everywhere I go has wifi.
    Tech Nerds (no insult intended lol I'm one too) like peeps on this forum know and understand the benefits of wifi. And if you don't use it, no one here cares go get a pixie when its released and never ask stupid questions about wifi, but when you move to somewhere with sketchy EVDO and are constantly kicked to 1x have fun waiting 5mins for precentral to load while I can easily switch on my wifi and load faster than EVDO. Sorry for feeding the troll donk but I use wifi heavily and had to chime in.

"I am just ignorant about something?" +1
    Why is anyone *****ing about WIFI?...you can get homebrew without it. Is your battery life REALLY that big of a deal? Do you cheap people really need a better option to tether and steal the internet?

So ill say again...Why do you NEED wifi?....what am I missing out that is SO important?...maybe I am just ignorant about something.....
    I download enough PodCasts with drPodder that I would (with the other data I do) completely blow out my 5 Gb of data per month. In addition, Sprint coverage at home is borderline and doesn't always work well. Using it is frustrating without WiFi.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    I download enough PodCasts with drPodder that I would (with the other data I do) completely blow out my 5 Gb of data per month. In addition, Sprint coverage at home is borderline and doesn't always work well. Using it is frustrating without WiFi.
    You do realize the 5GB cap is only for the mobile broadband cards right? You will be OK if you use EVDO. No need to worry.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    The Pixi is more for the kiddies that like to text message in class while the Pre is more for the tech geek that likes to use wifi and uses it more for business purposes. I use the wifi when I'm at my house because i have NO EVDO and have to use an AIRAVE. This is a stupid OP with no common sense behind it. Just because the OP Author doesn't use WIFI doesn't mean everyone else doesn't have a need for it.
    MyFlashlight - The Original Palm Pre Flashlight Application
    fileCoaster - The Original On Pre Application Installer

Donations are greatly appreciated and can be donated HERE!. Again thank you ALL for your continued support!

Follow us on Twitter @vertigoapps
    My main reason for wanting WIFI is that I switched from a BB8830 World Phone. With a lot of traveling to the Caribbean where CDMA doesn't work, I can still access my email. I forward my phone to my home phone, which has Internet accessible voice mail, and sends me an email when I get a new message.

I can get all of my messages, and email, without a phone signal. Not worried about having phone access down there, but didn't want to give up data.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I think this is a great question, and discussion opportunity.

I don't have a pre, but I know wifi on my mobile device is incredibly advantageous. and certainly adds to the 'smart phones' presence.

my reason has nothing to do with speed, or signal strength, reception, or availability.

the main reason for me is network connectivity! using wifi on my device I can browse network shared folders and copy, open, stream, or upload files across a network.

how would we do this without wifi?
    I think currently you may only download songs off of the Amazon MP3 player via wifi... Yes, you may go old school and plug your phone in via usb and transfer songs.. This is one more reason to add wifi. It is a nice luxury to have. Also, I thought a while back I read something from Mr. Hesse that sprint was going to mandate having wifi on all of it's phones? Anyone remember reading something about this?
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Is there a webOS app yet that is like WiFile on Palm OS?
    There's no such thing as 'unlimited data' here in Greece. Data plans range from 150mb to 1gb per month, so wifi is absolutely necessary
    /EU/GR/
    Quote Originally Posted by swissarmy View Post
    I think currently you may only download songs off of the Amazon MP3 player via wifi...
    That kinda ticked me off last month on a road trip. A song popped in my head, so at the next rest stop, I went to Amazon and purchased it, but it wasn't until it was ready to download that it told me I needed Wifi I don't know if this is how other music-store-enabled phones do it, but what a pain.

I like having wifi when traveling. It's great having wifi for google talk when you are in another country. They also have wifi on airplanes now.
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast