Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Centro was a dumbphone? Me thinks the Picksi is aiming much lower. Many chose the Centro because it was the most advanced Palm OS phone along with the size factor. Not the same scenario with the crippled down Picksi.
    Lower than the Centro? The Pixie looks leaps and bounds better than the Centro.

Some of the PIM functionality might not match Palm OS yet, but it will get there in time my good man.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Why don't we start talking about the Pre version 3 while we are at it. They really gotta add that 3D hologram video recording feature.
    A Pixie 2 is a great idea, but I'd choose to add wi-fi and a microSD card before the changes the OP suggested.

Trackballs are ok. The BB I have from work is certainly better with a track ball than the older design with a scroll wheel. But I think the 5-way on the Treos worked better.

The one thing a hardware scroll device, be it a trackball, and d-pad, or whatever, really helps with is selecting text. That is way to cumbersome on the Pre. Maybe 2.1 will be a big improvement.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Centro was a dumbphone? Me thinks the Picksi is aiming much lower. Many chose the Centro because it was the most advanced Palm OS phone along with the size factor. Not the same scenario with the crippled down Picksi.
    No, the Centro was one step up from a Dumbphone, or that's in part how it was marketed and pushed.

I know this may come as a shock to some on this forum...hardcore POS fans at the time that the Centro came out wasn't exactly boomingly huge. I dare wager that the vast majority of the sales of the Centro were not hardcore Palm OS fanboy's going "OMG we get a new POS phone!".

The centro gave you a smart phone with an easy interface (POS was arguably the easiest out of box experience of any of the smart phones), great form factor, a keyboard for all your texting needs, a multitude of "cute" colors, and a very low price point.

The Pixi does much the same as the Centro did and will be aiming at the similar market share; and I just don't think the large part of that market share was "people who want the best and newest POS device"
    The centro turned into that over time. I think red and black were the first released ones. Many a treo owner UPGRADED to it. Key word there because going from the Pre to the Picksie is definitely not an upgrade.

I do think the Picksi will find an audience though but a small one.
    The centro turned into that over time. I think red and black were the first released ones. Many a treo owner UPGRADED to it. Key word there because going from the Pre to the Picksie is definitely not an upgrade.

The Centro was always an entry level smartphone from the start. Whether or not Treo users "upgraded" to it is irrelevant.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I view the Pre as such. And the iphone as well. But oh well..

Maybe the picksie can be a beginner's beginner smartphone :P
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts

The Centro also didn't come out 6 months after the first Treo.

While I don't doubt a number of Palm users upgraded from the older Treo's to the Centro, I however wonder how many people went from a Treo 775p to it.
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    The Centro also didn't come out 6 months after the first Treo.

While I don't doubt a number of Palm users upgraded from the older Treo's to the Centro, I however wonder how many people went from a Treo 775p to it.
    ... who always loved Palm products, but couldn't justify the $$$ for a Treo and the exhorbitant data plan, so we stuck with a dumb-phone for as long as you can imagine. When the Centro finally did come out, that WAS the moment I was waiting for two years for. Great form factor, PalmOS ease, realistic ($30/month unlimited) data plan w/ ATT, etc. What I want now is: better contact management with my Yahoo accounts, WebOS, better media management, better screen resolution, better notifications, etc. Sounds like I'm getting a Pixi, as soon as it's available on a GSM network!
    tim
    Monkey, here is the phone you are describing:
    FOFLMAO!! By Greorge I think you're right. He's not asking too much, he's just looking for the wrong phone.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    I'm even more ancient... I want a Pixie with 5-way NAV. That way I can accurate scoot around text fields and can go from weblink to weblink and field to field with one hand, always accurately hitting the one I've highlighted. Everything else, I want the same...
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    I want a iphone with a slide out key board
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    trackballs are lame, why would you want a trackball with a gesture ready WebOS device?
    Yes. Yes you are asking for too much, and thankfully it will never happen.
    Trackballs and the gesture area are too VERY different things, if you've ever owned a blackberry you'd know how much easier it makes for navigating things, selecting text, even using it as a pointer on websites. Trackballs may be outdated today, but an optical pad like the new blackberry curves use would be pretty cool, for the pixie especially.

I dont really like that huge gap between the keyboard and the screen, it looks like something is missing.
    Prē *********♥
    1Ghz
    Pixi *********♥
    Patched up
    (Gone)
    Now on a Samsung Epic
    *Creator of the best thread on precentral*

RIP

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12