Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What ever happened to that rule Sprint has that all new smartphones must have Wi-Fi?

Sort of a dealbreaker if you ask me...
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    I was getting ready to post this same question. I thought the exact same thing about Sprint's "no more WiFi-less smartphones" rule.

Hell, they're even re-releasing the Blackberry Tour as the Essex. Same exact phone, Essex just has WiFi.
    Maybe the Pixi (dust) was already past development when they made that rule...
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    This could have been a Palm decision. Based on current facts this is a down grade from the Pre, so I'm not too much surprised. Adding Wi-Fi is necessary though, the Pixi would have another point against the Blackberry lines.
    The future Pixi owners can't enjoy the goodness that is tethering, and HomeBrew. Oh well. Sucks to be them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiggitay View Post
    The future Pixi owners can't enjoy the goodness that is tethering, and HomeBrew. Oh well. Sucks to be them.
    Um... what does WiFi have to do with any of that? There are other ways to tether and homebrew... well that won't change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    Um... what does WiFi have to do with any of that? There are other ways to tether and homebrew... well that won't change.
    Haha, for real. Tethering on WiFi = Whats the effing point?? Just use your laptops WiFi.
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    Haha, for real. Tethering on WiFi = Whats the effing point?? Just use your laptops WiFi.
    Me thinks he don't know...
    Tethering via USB.
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    Ha Ha! Classic. Looks like someone doesn't understand wifi tethering...
    well for low-end phone wifi is not necessary i'm with palm on this ;D
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Yeah I would guess that the pixi hardware design was already finalized and locked down before sprint made that requirement.
    Quote Originally Posted by en0x View Post
    well for low-end phone wifi is not necessary i'm with palm on this ;D
    Well for low end phone, it shouldn't cost about the same as the high end phone?

One doesn't really associate Palm with high quality these days. Going low end doesn't help. I view the Pre as a starter smartphone if you know what i mean. Palm needs to aim higher. Go Pro.

In any case, think about what you use wifi for. Updates. Downloading OTA (palm had to change how amazon mp3's download to accommodate the picksie). Syncing. Tethering. Battery life. This is also either a sign that future apps won't be crippled to "wifi only" or it will mean they just won't work on the Picksie.

There's also the limitation of EVDO. Wifi helped for using data and voice at same time.
    Last edited by cardfan; 09/09/2009 at 08:25 AM.
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    palm committed cellphone suicide with the no wifi, with wifi this phone would be nice.
    im happy with my pre.
  15.    #15  
    But then with Wi-Fi it'll be stepping on the Pre's toes. Common consensus gripe about the Pre is Oreo, this effectively eliminates that issue.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Palm/Sprint has to still make the Pre attractive, Leaving out WiFi is a business decision
    Interesting choice...leaving out wifi. I am sure those Centro owners wont miss wifi when they upgrade to this device. But I d believe there is a market for this form-factor that is as feature-rich as the Pre. I dont think its suicide, as it is evident with the artist series backs who they are marketing to.
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    Palm/Sprint has to still make the Pre attractive, Leaving out WiFi is a business decision
    Nope..its a dumb decision based on a dumb idea for a device. It's double dumb.

If the Pre's bigger higher res screen, faster processor, more ram, and slider kb can't make it attractive on its own, then they should hang it up.

But all webOS devices should have wifi by its very nature. It's data intensive.
    This device is going after the Centro users, one of which is my wife. She could give a flying F if the phone has WiFi. I don't think it was a bad decision at all.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Wait but... I remember a few months ago, a device called BlackBerry Storm, sold as hot cakes, without wifi.

Wifi isn't a must-have for a vast majority of people. And they're trying to sell it to that vast majority, not to you concretely.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast