Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    dealbreaker for me... But i love my pre and its form factor to much anyway. Never been a fan of full keyboards without some sort of slide. Don't like the open keys. Plus i get bad sprint at my new place and force roam to VZW and that is 1x data so that would kill it! Im using my wifi at home like crazy!
    SCK Manager
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    i dont see why people are complaining the phones gonna be cheaper than the pre so you shouldnt expect to get everything the pre has the pixi is like the centro for web-os...now everyone's being greedy over what they want in the pixi
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Well for low end phone, it shouldn't cost about the same as the high end phone?

One doesn't really associate Palm with high quality these days. Going low end doesn't help. I view the Pre as a starter smartphone if you know what i mean. Palm needs to aim higher. Go Pro.

In any case, think about what you use wifi for. Updates. Downloading OTA (palm had to change how amazon mp3's download to accommodate the picksie). Syncing. Tethering. Battery life. This is also either a sign that future apps won't be crippled to "wifi only" or it will mean they just won't work on the Picksie.

There's also the limitation of EVDO. Wifi helped for using data and voice at same time.
    This move to reduce the function of a phone to relate to it's pricing isn't the way forward and reminds me of Sony Ericsson's business model. I think the proof is in the pudding in regards to there once dominating market share and what it is now.

The Pixie shouldn't be held back or be lacking in features as that will dilute forming opinions of what Palm is about.

Which is a very bad thing to do when the world has forgotten what Palm is.
    This phone by most accounts is going after the youth market and I don't think to many young people care if their phone has wifi built in. Sprint has a pretty solid EVDO network that handles the data on my Pre quite nicely. Personally I think this phone will do well with it target audience. Its got a sleek user interface, a real keyboard for all those txters out there, combine that with a svelte body that best's the 3GS in thinness and a low price tag (supposedly $99) and I think Pixi will do just fine in the marketplace. Everyone has different needs, ask a 30 or 40 something what they want in a smartphone and it will vary from what someone in their teens or 20's may want. At the end of the day this is only Palm's 2nd phone. Give it time and I am sure they will market enough handsets to satisfy the majority of people. Let's face it (especially after hanging out in these forums long enough) Palm will never satisfy everyone no matter how much they try.
    I thought they announced no wifi in the unit many months ago. Did people forget? It looks like nice hardware anyway. I rarely use wi-fi. At work the wi-fi router stinks, and at home I in my apartment have mine set to 802.11n 5ghz to avoid interference. Plus having one less radio probably cuts down on size and battery usage.
    I wish it had WiFi, but only so I could pick one up for testing without having to add it to my Sprint plan. I could justify $200-250 for testing (with an unlocked one), but an extra $40-50/month is too much.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
  7.    #27  
    Yes, but the Centro runs Palm OS, which is centric around Hotsync. With webOS which is centric to the Internet, without Wi-Fi an alternative to the mobile radio won't fare well.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    I just skimmed this thread so if someone else brought this up I apologize, pretty sure no one did though. But perhaps in a package *that* small adding a Wifi radio may have not been feasable. Now I don't know the internals of a modern smartphone so maybe I'm way off here. But if I were asked if I'd rather have the Pixi in it's current form with no Wifi or bulkier with Wifi I'd choose the current form. If you're fine with a bulkier device then why not just go with a Pre? Now as far as using Wifi on a smartphone goes, sure it'd be nice, but I've been using a Centro since the day it was released and honestly the EVDO has treated me just fine (and that's Rev 1).
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Yes, but the Centro runs Palm OS, which is centric around Hotsync. With webOS which is centric to the Internet, without Wi-Fi an alternative to the mobile radio won't fare well.
    Honestly I am getting 2-3mbps on EVDO rev A. That is more than enough. I only use WiFi at home because it is there.

The mobile radio will do just fine.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by BoraWare View Post
    I just skimmed this thread so if someone else brought this up I apologize, pretty sure no one did though. But perhaps in a package *that* small adding a Wifi radio may have not been feasable. Now I don't know the internals of a modern smartphone so maybe I'm way off here. But if I were asked if I'd rather have the Pixi in it's current form with no Wifi or bulkier with Wifi I'd choose the current form. If you're fine with a bulkier device then why not just go with a Pre? Now as far as using Wifi on a smartphone goes, sure it'd be nice, but I've been using a Centro since the day it was released and honestly the EVDO has treated me just fine (and that's Rev 1).
    With radios as small as they are now, I don't think that is a factor. Purely a cost/positioning/marketing decision.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    /cough get Pre!! /cough
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Honestly I am getting 2-3mbps on EVDO rev A. That is more than enough. I only use WiFi at home because it is there.

The mobile radio will do just fine.
    Why bother using paid data when you have a Wi-Fi network at home which is even faster that's already paid for?

The rate carriers are charging here makes mobile data far from being a commodity.

And don't forget about roaming... I much rather use a local Starbucks hotspot than to pay data roaming.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

Bottom line is the new OS is called the "WebOS", right? The WIFI thing is a big deal and Palm pretty much nailed it with the WIFI on the Pre. I can walk into any WIFI Hot-Spot and use it almost instantly! My old WinMO Treo took an act of Windows to get it to connect and be useful. Out of all the things to not put in a lower end device for the "WebOS", lack of a data connection option should not have been anywhere near a list...IMHO
    Why can't the mobile device manufactures get that most want a touch screen and a front face QWERTY?
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Why bother using paid data when you have a Wi-Fi network at home which is even faster that's already paid for?

The rate carriers are charging here makes mobile data far from being a commodity.

And don't forget about roaming... I much rather use a local Starbucks hotspot than to pay data roaming.
    My Sprint data pipe is already paid for too. Why use my home broadband? I also get free data roaming with Sprint, so that is a moot point.

And before someone chimes in with Sprints unlimited data plan not being unlimited, I am a heavy data user who also tethers and I have never been contacted by Sprint or told I use too much data.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    The key take away here is that every other phone that is comparable to the Pixi does have WiFi (Curve, iPhone). WiFi became almost a check item these days. Not having WiFi is a bit of a surprise... almost a gamble by Palm.

I have to admit that there are users who will never find a reason to use WiFi. That's OK. But there are users who do require it for whatever their reasons may be. The Pixi is clearly not for them.

Now, you guys are thinking in Sprint terms (EVDO). The network is not as saturated as AT&T, so can you guess what the picture will be if the Pixi is released for GSM networks (very likely) without WiFi? What kind of experience one can expect from that?
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    The key take away here is that every other phone that is comparable to the Pixi does have WiFi (Curve, iPhone). WiFi became almost a check item these days. Not having WiFi is a bit of a surprise... almost a gamble by Palm.

I have to admit that there are users who will never find a reason to use WiFi. That's OK. But there are users who do require it for whatever their reasons may be. The Pixi is clearly not for them.

Now, you guys are thinking in Sprint terms (EVDO). The network is not as saturated as AT&T, so can you guess what the picture will be if the Pixi is released for GSM networks (very likely) without WiFi? What kind of experience one can expect from that?
    That is a great point. People cross shopping against similar smartphones will see the lack of WiFi as minus in Palm's column. But I think Palm is really going after the Centro users, who never had WiFi to begin with. When the Centro was released people said it wouldn't do well because it didn't have WiFi, but it was a huge sales success, even though Palm had to sell it at a loss.
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    My Sprint data pipe is already paid for too. Why use my home broadband? I also get free data roaming with Sprint, so that is a moot point.

And before someone chimes in with Sprints unlimited data plan not being unlimited, I am a heavy data user who also tethers and I have never been contacted by Sprint or told I use too much data.
    Well if you're talking national data, yes of course. It's like that in Canada too. What about International?

18.    #38  
    On a side note... I wonder how much Palm is saving buy not putting in a WLAN chip...

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Me thinks he don't know...
    LOL!
    How many times have you seen the Dr.?..lol
    Truth be told, I dont use WiFi too much on my Pre now. Really, only while Im at home do I use it. And thats for doing updates & things like that, which isnt very common. While on the road, even in coffee shops or whatever, I rarely even bother to connect to a network because Sprint's network really is fast enough for almost everything.

Also, consider how Palm handles WiFi on webOS, its not a deal breaker for me. Meaning, the way WiFi shuts off while the phone's screen is off makes it kinda useless in a lot of ways.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast