Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44
  1.    #1  
    Don't get me wrong, I love my Pre but Palm's Treo 800w has an incredible, highly rated keyboard. Very disappointed to see the next webOS phone to have the same, "okay", keyboard.
  2. #2  
    lolz....I had the 800w too and I guess you could say the keyboard was the ONLY highly rated thing EVER on that device....
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  3. teiresias's Avatar
    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    #3  
    One of the hands-on articles, or maybe one of the Engadget articles, mentioned how the keyboard is different from the Pre's. Taller keys (I think), and they mentioned how the keys had a different tactile feel, so I don't think it's exactly the same keyboard. Of course, they could be full of hot air.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by teiresias View Post
    One of the hands-on articles, or maybe one of the Engadget articles, mentioned how the keyboard is different from the Pre's. Taller keys (I think), and they mentioned how the keys had a different tactile feel, so I don't think it's exactly the same keyboard. Of course, they could be full of hot air.
    Yes. It is a tad different so they say...
  5. #5  
    Gizmodo says the same about the Pixi kybd..
  6. #6  
    Engadget said it was more "clicky", which is a good thing IMO.

    I sorta hate the Pre's mushy feeling keys.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    lolz....I had the 800w too and I guess you could say the keyboard was the ONLY highly rated thing EVER on that device....
    I agree. I had quite a few problems with that device but the keyboard was a dream.

    Almost every review I've seen of the Treo 800w had the keyboard being outstanding where as every review I've seen of the Pre had the keyboard at mediocre.

    I miss my Treo 800w keyboard... but that's all that I miss from that phone.
  8. UF15's Avatar
    Posts
    104 Posts
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    #8  
    I don't get Palm's quest to make their keyboards as small as possible. Make the phone a half inch wider, and give us a 800w keyboard. These new ones look nice, but they cramp the hell out of my hands.
  9. #9  
    I am pretty sure the Pixi is going to have an even worse keyboard than the Pre, i.e. the Treo Pro. There is no curve to keyboard on the Pixi and there is one on the Pre. Ultimately, I do agree that I liked the 800w keyboard the best.
  10. #10  
    I can tell you that I prefer the Pixi's keyboard to the Pre's, or at least consider them even. Like engadget, I found the keyboard to be more clicky / have a much better response and feel than the Pre's. Less mushy.

    Sadly, it's smaller, though.
  11. #11  
    I hate the small keys of the pre, I can't imagine the pixies being smaller. I love my 755p's keys more than any other phone I've ever used.
  12. efudd's Avatar
    Posts
    697 Posts
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by UF15 View Post
    I don't get Palm's quest to make their keyboards as small as possible. Make the phone a half inch wider, and give us a 800w keyboard. These new ones look nice, but they cramp the hell out of my hands.
    I assume the 800w had discrete keys like the older treo's?

    If so then my GUESS is the gel nonsense is easier (so cheaper) to manufacture then discrete keys like on the older devices.

    But since people say the pixi is more "clicky" maybe it's a hybrid sort of thing so the best of both worlds?
  13. #13  
    Better that the i-phone on screen though.
  14. #14  
    Yeah, the keyboard is still small, but there's more resistance. I liked it slightly better than a Pre or Centro.
  15. efudd's Avatar
    Posts
    697 Posts
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    #15  
    I've been waiting on the pre- i like an exposed keyboard. I started getting excited about it so figured I'd stop in at the best buy and check out the pre to see what's going on.

    all I can say about that keyboard is bleh. It seems like the cheap membrane keyboard on the atari 400. So not nice. I've got a phone with real keys now (samsung saga)- but i even had a centro for like a year and the pre just seems much worse than the centro. Maybe it's just that i haven't used the centro in about a year. But to get the pre to work I had to use my finger nails- very unpleasant- I'd like to use the tip of my finger and not my nails on a keyboard.

    Hopefully the pre is a bit better. If not I might just be waiting around till the high end comes along- I figure they need to do something to replace the long line of Treo's for business users. Slider's just dont gain traction with the enterprise users and they all seem to expect a decent keyboard- hopefully the 3rd device has a real keyboard.
  16. #16  
    i don't like either. blackberries have great keyboards but i'm not impressed by palm's or treo's. i like a keyboard but the treo keyboard, in my opinion, is no better then the palm pre keyboard.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    I've been waiting on the pre- i like an exposed keyboard. I started getting excited about it so figured I'd stop in at the best buy and check out the pre to see what's going on.

    all I can say about that keyboard is bleh. It seems like the cheap membrane keyboard on the atari 400. So not nice. I've got a phone with real keys now (samsung saga)- but i even had a centro for like a year and the pre just seems much worse than the centro. Maybe it's just that i haven't used the centro in about a year. But to get the pre to work I had to use my finger nails- very unpleasant- I'd like to use the tip of my finger and not my nails on a keyboard.

    Hopefully the pre is a bit better. If not I might just be waiting around till the high end comes along- I figure they need to do something to replace the long line of Treo's for business users. Slider's just dont gain traction with the enterprise users and they all seem to expect a decent keyboard- hopefully the 3rd device has a real keyboard.

    Yep, I hated the keyboard as well. I also didnt like the lack of 5way navpad either.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by vistaron View Post
    Better that the i-phone on screen though.
    After a certain point, it really isnt.

    A proper hardware keyboard is the best solution for entering text on a mobile device. See RIM's Blackberry keyboards and Palm's older Treo keyboards for an example.

    Once you start shrinking that keyboard, making it square instead of curved and reducing the tactile feel of the individual keys it becomes less ideal. A good touch screen keyboard that can intuitively make corrections as you type and change to accommodate different kinds of input becomes more attractive then.

    Simply put:
    A good hardware keyboard > an onscreen keyboard > a bad hardware keyboard.

    The current Palm keyboards are barely acceptable and in many ways a good on screen keyboard is better.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    After a certain point, it really isnt.

    A proper hardware keyboard is the best solution for entering text on a mobile device. See RIM's Blackberry keyboards and Palm's older Treo keyboards for an example.

    Once you start shrinking that keyboard, making it square instead of curved and reducing the tactile feel of the individual keys it becomes less ideal. A good touch screen keyboard that can intuitively make corrections as you type and change to accommodate different kinds of input becomes more attractive then.

    Simply put:
    A good hardware keyboard > an onscreen keyboard > a bad hardware keyboard.

    The current Palm keyboards are barely acceptable and in many ways a good on screen keyboard is better.....IMO
    Fixed for you.
  20. #20  
    Am I the only one who likes the gel/rubberized keyboard?
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions