Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Or means "petite vivacious woman or girl".
    Yep. That is definition #2 which still seems pretty much aimed at a woman or girl.

Definition #1 is Fairy.

What guy wants to own something that means girl or fairy? Or something marketed to creepy vampire girls?

Palm is marketing to very specific market segments.

- Craig
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Alright, everyone needs to stop. I'm buyin a Pixi and I'm a 6'3 male that's originally from rural Alaska. Nothing feminine here. If I keep reading these posts I may just not buy one... But in all seriousness I prefer the Pre's hardware and setup, I just know I'll destroy it. I need a solid one-piece phone with a small form factor. My Centro (which has been with me since it was launched) has taken a *lot* of abuse and works flawlessly. If it were any slider phone it'd be two phones by now... Who knows maybe by Nov when my contract is up there will be something better (that or there will have been a petition to change the name).
    Quote Originally Posted by BoraWare View Post
    Alright, everyone needs to stop. I'm buyin a Pixi and I'm a 6'3 male that's originally from rural Alaska. Nothing feminine here. If I keep reading these posts I may just not buy one... But in all seriousness I prefer the Pre's hardware and setup, I just know I'll destroy it. I need a solid one-piece phone with a small form factor. My Centro (which has been with me since it was launched) has taken a *lot* of abuse and works flawlessly. If it were any slider phone it'd be two phones by now... Who knows maybe by Nov when my contract is up there will be something better (that or there will have been a petition to change the name).
    Call it by the number and not name... like palm pro = 850 or something... sure some number will be assigned to it... or heck, make one up.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    agreed, not many guys will buy some named pixie...

Maybe it is meant for girls... Most guys would prefer the pre...

What will really sell well is a full touch screen one, but causes problems for apps meant for keyboards...
    I can see it now: a few dudes are in a bar having some beers; one guy pulls a phone out of his pocket. The other guys, curious to know what brand of phone it is. The dude with the phone says, "It's the Palm Pixi." After he says that, a lot of snickering and chortling ensue.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    agreed, not many guys will buy some named pixie...

Maybe it is meant for girls... Most guys would prefer the pre...

What will really sell well is a full touch screen one, but causes problems for apps meant for keyboards...
    How about naming it the Palm ******?
    Being a man I know that I want the gadget that has the most features, faster, etc. But, I might sometimes settle for thrift. Most women want what's cute & cool. Maybe Palm is making sure I go with the fully loaded model, and using the Pixi to fill the needs of women who just want a cute phone.

You know what...I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. I just hope Palm had some good reason behind this and didn't just think the name Pixi sounded cool.
    Wait ... my whole life ... and it was this simple???

*legally changes name to Pixi, waits for the 18-year-old girls to come rolling in*
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Should just make it pink and be done with it.
    My wife would seriously buy it that day. Just like the Pink Centro.

Which, you know, kind is what this is.

Oh the other hand, I traded up to the Pre from a black Centro. Knocked that thing around like crazy, and only finally managed to wing it when the down button got sprinked with water and stopped working. I wouldn't mind another solid, one-piece phone with no moving parts but the keyboard
    l.m.orchard
    {web,mad,computer} scientist
    http://decafbad.com/
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lmorchard View Post
    My wife would seriously buy it that day. Just like the Pink Centro.

Which, you know, kind is what this is.

Oh the other hand, I traded up to the Pre from a black Centro. Knocked that thing around like crazy, and only finally managed to wing it when the down button got sprinked with water and stopped working. I wouldn't mind another solid, one-piece phone with no moving parts but the keyboard
    Of course the question we haven't discussed is why it seems like this phone is aimed towards women. The pre was suppose to a) sell a lot of units and b) bring new customers to Sprint - nobody seems convinced that either has happened.

So the branding as a female phone might be an attempt to try and get women interested in WebOS devices - the decision might be quite late and that's why it's not actually pink (and that stock wallpaper is a bit bland).
    If I were going for the 18 year old girl demographic I'd name it the sparkling vampire. Pixi is so going for the 14 and under girl demo.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Palm Jonas? Palm Miley?
    Its replacing the Centro line so prolly gonna follow the same strategy for it.
    I have to agree that you don't put in an 18 year old girl in the advertising if you are marketing to 18 year olds. The Pixi is being marketed to 12-15 year old girls, not 18 year olds.

No self respecting 17-year-old girl reads Seventeen. It is for 12-15 year olds as well.

Even an 18-year-old girl does not want to have something called a Pixi.

The Pixi name and advertising are after the Junior High girl demographic.

And honestly that is a huge demographic for cell phones.

The Pre is going for the creepy pasty vampire market. You don't hear that demographics talked about much.

- Craig
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123