Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Which is funny... remember when McNamee talked about the reason why they had a mirror behind the Pre slide was because it was targeted for woman?
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Who cares if it's marketed to girls? What is this the 1930's? Should smartphones be for men only? What a fail idea....
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Im sorry is this real?....o wait we are in 2009.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Yesterday my friend tells me he's thinking of swithching to Sprint at the end of the year. I tell him to get a Pre, and he says it's too expensive. Today I tell him "Dude, there's going to be a NEW Palm phone, just in time for you to switch at the end of the year "

"Oh, really" he says, "What's it called?"

"It's called the..." and I freeze, suddenly realizing what his response is going to be. Sure enough.

"Pixi? I'm not going to buy a phone called Pixi!!!"

Maybe they should do like bicycles, just sell a boys model and a girls model.
    LaunchPoint Speed Dial - There's no faster way to dial, email, or text, period.
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    Who cares if it's marketed to girls?
    I don't think anyone "cares" but in terms of sales, if you target your marketing towards one demographic and gender, it's likely to have an impact on sales - that impact might be good or bad but it will impact. Most people buy phones off the back of marketing and other such nonsense, so if the Pixie is seen as a girl's phone then will have an impact. Is that irrational? sure but that's how consumer purchases work, that's why we have coke zero (you guys have Coke Zero right).
    Quote Originally Posted by doublebullout View Post
    Just a thought ----

The teen girl demographic is what made Titanic one of the biggest grossing movies of all time. Palm could call this the Sunshine & Lollipops Phone, and offer optional Care Bear battery covers. I wouldn't care one lick as long as Palm sold millions of them.
    I would srsly buy a phone like that.

I always considered Centro to be a female like phone so I would imagine if your a guy willing to buy that device then this one is not much different. I don't think its necessarily for 18 yr olds but it does seem to look more like a female phone.
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    I totally agree that the name is dumb. But, I will still buy one. Honestly I thought the name "Pre" wasn't all that great, didn't really care for "Centro" now that I think about it too. Eh, what's a name. At least it's not pink... I liked the Eos name, but being a VW enthusiest the first thing I think of is a convertable hard top (which I guess is better than faries and things). If they are trying to market to girls I don't think it's a very good idea and historically hasn't really worked across many segments. For example I've been around the convenience store industry for years. Camel produced a cigarette called the "#9" and put it in a pink girly box to "target women". Men buy them 4 to 1, so so much marketing eh? We'll see what happens.
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BoraWare View Post
    Camel produced a cigarette called the "#9" and put it in a pink girly box to "target women". Men buy them 4 to 1, so so much marketing eh? We'll see what happens.
    The colours are a bit bland if that is indeed the aim.
    Sorry, the Pixi is a chick-phone. There's nothing wrong with that of course, unless you're a guy that wants the phone because of other reasons besides the name, but don't want to own a phone called "Pixi". There's plenty of other names that would suggest a similar theme without repelling potential male customers, ya know ... like the Palm "Maxi", or the "TamPalm."
    Quote Originally Posted by atomichumbucker View Post
    Go to the palm website, the image behind the pixie is from some college campus in front of the "Life Sciences building,"
    FWIW, it looks like Berkeley.

Let the parsing begin!
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sol740 View Post
    Sorry, the Pixi is a chick-phone. There's nothing wrong with that of course, unless you're a guy that wants the phone because of other reasons besides the name, but don't want to own a phone called "Pixi". There's plenty of other names that would suggest a similar theme without repelling potential male customers, ya know ... like the Palm "Maxi", or the "TamPalm."
    I'll take "Pixi" or "Maxi" anyday...
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I totally agree that the name is dumb. But, I will still buy one. Honestly I thought the name "Pre" wasn't all that great

Both my parents, when I told them about my new phone purchase, thought I'd said I'd bought a "palm tree". LOL

It's not just men who will be turned off by the name "pixi", it's women OVER the age of 18. Further, is the name really going to be enough to draw in substantial numbers of teenage girls who wouldn't have otherwise bought the phone? I'm not sure it's smart to give the phone a name that will cause embarrassment to a large portion of the population, even if (some, not all) 15-year-old girls might think it's cute.

But, I'm happy with my Pre and am glad I have it instead of the Pixi, which would have been true whatever they'd decided to name it.
    I don't think it is the name people are mad about... it is the terrible hardware....

I was a bit surprised by this release... I'm still looking for the webOS "real man" version. You know, one I can type on with my hands. lol
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    who cares what its called. for people who don't want a girls phone, you people sure are acting like girls. for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    I'm still looking for the webOS "real man" version. You know, one I can type on with my hands. lol
    Just out of curiosity, have you tried the Pre keyboard? It might look small but I know a lot of people here have mentioned having large hands and no issues with the keyboard. I have average sized hands, and I actually prefer it to the larger buttons on my old q9c.

And according to Gizmodo, they like the Pixi keyboard better than the Pre's.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, have you tried the Pre keyboard? It might look small but I know a lot of people here have mentioned having large hands and no issues with the keyboard. I have average sized hands, and I actually prefer it to the larger buttons on my old q9c.

And according to Gizmodo, they like the Pixi keyboard better than the Pre's.
    Yes I have played with the pre's keyboard... for while...

The overall size sucked for me (keyboard, screen,etc)... I was so glad to give it back to its owner.

Then again, I type on a BB all day long... The keyboard on my Treo gets too small when I type on it a lot. Q9C was a perfect device... wish we would have had a Q9c2... lol... guess that BS htc product was to be it. Never mind...

Not everyone will like everything... I didn't like the pre. But I don't venture into the webos forums much since that would be trolling... not trying to do all of that.

I do look forward to webos on some real hardware.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Q9C was a perfect device... wish we would have had a Q9c2... lol... guess that BS htc product was to be it. Never mind...
    Eh, I hated the mushiness on the keys of the q9c, the Pre's stiffer keys are so much better... not to mention the Pre doesn't repeat letters if I start typing too fast. But anyway, I've got no problem with someone having tried the keyboard and not liking it, it's those who just judge by looking at it that bother me.
    Name shmame.. I'll be buying two. Not for me though (:
    The Pre advertising is aimed at creepy pasty vampire girls.

Pixie advertising is aimed at people who want to be able to tell others that they have a Pixie!

Imagine a guy telling another guy he has a Pixie...

Guy 1 in bar, "Hey what kind of phone is that?"

Guy 2, "It's my little Pixie in my pocket! I take her everywhere!"

What do you think happens to a guy who admits he has a Pixie?

By the way, Websters Dictionary says a Pixie is a Fairy.

- Craig
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 09/09/2009 at 09:58 PM.
    Or means "petite vivacious woman or girl".
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast