Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    So the guy said as of yet there is no wifi for the pixi... will that mean it has wifi hardware but it is not enabled?
    Doubtful. More like, the design hasn't been finalized, but the current device they're working with doesn't have it.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    well at least we won't have slider issues with this one. But I wish this one was more powerful, i would turn in my pre in a sec. Not having to slide is something is miss from all my treos.
    no thx.
    its UGLY! Keep it...better yet give it to the Canadians
    I think its beautiful.. I would MUCH rather have a candybar than the stupid slider... but no wifi is the end of it for me.
    I"d like to see a phone with all touch screen and no hardware keyboard or buttons, cept for the power button.
    I think the Pre keyboard is barely usable, and this one is smaller still? No thanks.

I know Palm got criticized for the Treos being too big, but there's a point beyond which shrinking a keyboard becomes worse than an on-screen keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by lilboi View Post
    well at least we won't have slider issues with this one. But I wish this one was more powerful, i would turn in my pre in a sec. Not having to slide is something is miss from all my treos.
    And I think that's the point. They don't want this to canibalize sales of the Pre. Assuming the $99 price point is accurate, I would guess the Pre is a higher profit device.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    You all may have never had a treo pro, which seemingly has a VERY similar keyboard... but it was without question the best one ive ever used (and that includes treo 680, treo 750, blakberry bold, blackberry curve)...
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    This is wonderful news, even for Pre-owners. If you don't have any desire for the phone its still helpful.

At a $99 price point these things will likely fly off the shelves once they hit, just by looking at what the Centro managed to do. If you can sell enough of these to nearly double your available WebOS phones out in the market then that's even more incentive for developers to jump on board. The more people with WebOS devices the more alluring it is for them to come over, and a sleek $99 price point phone that has a keyboard for texting and is a touch screen is going to sell like hot cakes.

I'm sticking with the Pre. While I love the thinness of the Pixi, I like the length of the Pre when its in. Also I use it for a lot of video watching and web browsing on the go, so I want that bigger screen. The Slider form factor is for me. However the pixi really is a sleek nice looking phone and is going to do nothing but help the WebOS family
    Wow, I wasn't expecting this. I have to admit that I haven't been frequenting the pre sites much lately since making the switch to an iPhone. My initial thought at first glance was that this is what the pre should have been. Specifically, the always-exposed keyboard is a good thing, IMO. But then I look closer and am not happy:
    1) Downgraded specs, including no wi-fi?
    2) Lower-res screen. So make the thing a bit taller, but don't change the resolution. They already are hurting for apps and now they're going to throw different resolutions into the mix for developers to figure out (and users to have to worry about).
    3) While this hardware design is closer to what I would have liked, there's still no D-Pad or extra hard buttons. The entire concept of the webOS should have been designed with a D-Pad, Home button, and Menu button in mind. You don't need a ton of buttons, just those two, plus the D-Pad.

At this point, I still have more optimism about Google Android's future. If someone will put Android in a Treo-like form-factor (always-exposed keyboard, D-Pad, etc.), that would be of great interest to me. Plus, they seem to be more open (and former-Palm-like) in their app distribution options, whereas the new Palm seems to be following the Apple mentality in forcing developers to have apps signed by them.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Palm is moving in the wrong direction. They need to position the original Pre at the $100 price point and come out with another device with a slightly larger screen (same resolution), not smaller one. I can barely read the Pre screen as it is and have good vision. A screen size between iPhone and Pre would be the ideal. To compete at the lower end, they need to keep the Pre going at a lower pricepoint.

The other wrong move is moving away from the Pre name. Will be difficult to market webOS devices if there is no consistent identity and webOS is not a good marketing name. They should call it Pre Pixi and future models should be Pre xyz.

Precentral and other Pre oriented services/peripherals have a challenge. Should Precentral be renamed weboscentral?

Am I outa touch here? Seems pretty obvious to me they are not making wise moves.
    Nah they are doing good. The only marketing they need is Palm. If you want WenOS, get a palm phone. They are doing good with devices as well. They released the Pre to fulfill that desire that old school palm os users wanted, a full 320x480 touch screen smartphone and even gave us a keyboard to use and of couse an much needed OS upgrade. Now that we old school users are happy Palm wants to reach out to the general users and thus giving them the Pixi. The centro was a hot seller because of the price point and so will the pixi. They are trying to spread out the webos name now to the masses with this device. If they had released the pixi first then the Pre 3 months later, there would have been a line outside Palm with fire and pitchforks at hand.
    @xorg

I strongly agree. I see the Pre as their starter device. Aiming for the supposed fat middle between an iphone and a BB. Ones wanting the best of both worlds.

The picksie doesn't seem to even fit here except as a dumbphone alternative. Thing is, not many will want to pay a premium smartphone plan for that alternative. It doesn't do a thing to help brand Palm has a high quality maker. The centro didn't exactly help them in profit margin.

I'm thinking a more desired new device would be one aimed more directly at iphone (kb-less slightly bigger screen than Pre) or a Pro device (800w like kb, sd slot) aimed at RIM. Both devices should be just as specced accordingly..same processor, RAM, etc.
    Terrible direction with the Pixie...

No wifi
    2 megapixel camera?
    8 GB memory still?
    Is the battery fixed/non replaceable?

Really too bad.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    Palm is moving in the wrong direction. They need to position the original Pre at the $100 price point and come out with another device with a slightly larger screen (same resolution), not smaller one. I can barely read the Pre screen as it is and have good vision. A screen size between iPhone and Pre would be the ideal. To compete at the lower end, they need to keep the Pre going at a lower pricepoint.

The other wrong move is moving away from the Pre name. Will be difficult to market webOS devices if there is no consistent identity and webOS is not a good marketing name. They should call it Pre Pixi and future models should be Pre xyz.

Precentral and other Pre oriented services/peripherals have a challenge. Should Precentral be renamed weboscentral?

Am I outa touch here? Seems pretty obvious to me they are not making wise moves.
    Really? Is 0.20 in. X 0.10 in. bigger really make it that much better for you? You go from not being able to read it (with your good eyes of course) to being able to read it just fine?

Part two, should they change the company name to Pre? The connecting link between the devices is 'Palm' and webOS. I think people understand the Palm Pre and the Palm Pixi may be linked.
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    Nah they are doing good. The only marketing they need is Palm. If you want WenOS, get a palm phone. They are doing good with devices as well. They released the Pre to fulfill that desire that old school palm os users wanted, a full 320x480 touch screen smartphone and even gave us a keyboard to use and of couse an much needed OS upgrade. Now that we old school users are happy Palm wants to reach out to the general users and thus giving them the Pixi. The centro was a hot seller because of the price point and so will the pixi. They are trying to spread out the webos name now to the masses with this device. If they had released the pixi first then the Pre 3 months later, there would have been a line outside Palm with fire and pitchforks at hand.
    You don't seem to get it. The 8 GB Pre could easily serve that price point. If not now, then later when the 16gb comes out this year. Heck, its already been sold at 99..its what i bought my Pre's for.

The Pre IS for general users considering a smartphone.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    Terrible direction with the Pixie...

No wifi
    2 megapixel camera?
    8 GB memory still?
    Is the battery fixed/non replaceable?

Really too bad.
    One of the videos mention that the back cover (access to battery) is kind of a pain to get off, so that hopefully the battery lasts long enough. Same battery as the Pre, so you can argue that however you want. The battery should be replaceable based on that comment though.

I am not sure why a more affordable option is a bad direction to some people? The Pixi is just that, a cheaper option with webOS. Of course they are not going to give it more storage space or a better camera. No wifi I agree with is not good for it.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    The device is sexy as hell!! Glad to see the old traditional treo look integrated with webOS. But the no wi-fi is the deal breaker for me. I suspect a diff model will come out later in the year with diff colors as well added on with wi-fi. Damn you Apple, see what you've caused now!!
    IMO... you come out with a new phone and you are going up against iphone, storm2, bold, hero... you don't come out with a WEAKER phone... It should have at the very least MATCHED current pre specs but offering another form factor.

This phone is competing with phone like the new LG Chocolate or something.

Bad move IMO
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    IMO... you come out with a new phone and you are going up against iphone, storm2, bold, hero... you don't come out with a WEAKER phone... It should have at the very least MATCHED current pre specs but offering another form factor.

This phone is competing with phone like the new LG Chocolate or something.

Bad move IMO
    Considering the Pre brings up so much iphone comparisons, it would seem a nobrainer to go with a Pro candybar version aimed at RIM...that is...if i had to come out with another device so soon after the Pre release. RIM has half the US smartphone market. 800w style kb, card slot, same processor & ram, office suite (not facebook),

You are right on. This picksie is competing with dumbphones but unlike dumbphones, it will require a premium plan. And still only cost slightly less than a Pre.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast