Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    honestly? screen smaller, no wifi, not as powerful...I dont think a phone with a capacative touchscreen would work well with a permanent keyboard that doesnt slide out...ya its thin and light, but the pre is plenty small and any lighter would suck...also its longer and in my opinion uglier...Do we know prices yet? because this should be cheaper for sure... otherwise, doesnt make sense to me why this instead of a pre...
    I'm really not a fan of the slider on the pre. If the pixie had a bigger screen and wifi I would definitely exchange. There wasn't that big of a difference from the centro and the treo 650 so I doubt there will be in this iteration
    I believe the pixi is the low end of palms new line up. My curiosity is now peeked at what the NEXT phone will be in the line up. Logic (in my head at least) would suggest to have 3 phones, a low end phone (pixi), medium (pre), and a high end (something with 16gb or more hd). We shall see.

So far I am impressed and excited for palm, and sprint. This new operating system is really incredible, and the more options people have, the more people will use it, and see its usefulness.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    The Engadget review is much better and shows the new Facebook app.

The Palm Pixi is official, headed to Sprint this holiday season -- we've got hands-on and video!

Quote Originally Posted by Dvigilante1 View Post
    I'm really not a fan of the slider on the pre. If the pixie had a bigger screen and wifi I would definitely exchange. There wasn't that big of a difference from the centro and the treo 650 so I doubt there will be in this iteration
    I'd, no joke, pay $500 for a Pixi with the Pre's screen, processor and WiFi. It bums me out that I am probably going to have to wait a year for that.
    I been on the computer all day and I'm just now seeing this whole pixi forum on my pre. What's the deal
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    why? It runs on Webos....
    At 2.63 inches, all the Pixi can handle is a 320x400 resolution. This translates into more work for developers, who need to somehow manage two different resolution sizes as well hardware different specs if you want your app to run on both phones.
    Because I read that...
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    So do you see all the info that all the tech sites have been sitting on!!.. including our very own Precentral... bastards!!.. lol

The Palm Pixi is official, headed to Sprint this holiday season -- we've got hands-on and video!
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    sweet a repost!!!
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Enough with the scaled down hand set, this thing is small. Come on palm, come out with a hand set for the business user, Palm Hummer!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post
    I was hoping they would change the wallpaper to have an Oreo on it. The Pixies might get jealous that they don't have an Oreo like us PreMies!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    The thing is an overall hardware downgrade, but I wonder whether the build quality will be better than the Pre since it won't have the inherent problems in making a slider. *Yes, I'm one with some oreo, but it's not bad enough for me to have gone through the replacement dance at this point*
    ya know, I was complaining early on about the slider...looking at the Pixie and knowing its specs, I'm satisfied with my decision. However the chica's getting a Pixie at first upgrade opportunity....

know the whole different screen size thing is iffy....They are not going to split their dev's up like that right???
    Can a dev comment on how difficult the screen size differance will be?
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    ya know, I was complaining early on about the slider...looking at the Pixie and knowing its specs, I'm satisfied with my decision. However the chica's getting a Pixie at first upgrade opportunity....

know the whole different screen size thing is iffy....They are not going to split their dev's up like that right???
    Can a dev comment on how difficult the screen size differance will be?
    For most applications the resolution won't matter, it'll just be a little bit of scrolling. Think about when you get notifications on your screen. The application automatically shrinks to fit a smaller window. This will be the same way.

A few games might have slightly more issues with it, but most applications will need absolutely no work to display right.
    Guys, you don't understand the way webOS renders apps - each app is essentially a web page, with most of the styling accomplished via HTML and CSS. Just like a properly coded web page can adapt gracefully to different viewing resolutions, webOS apps are designed (if coded to Palm standards, of course) to shrink or grow to fit the canvas they are given. You can see this already on a Pre - if you get a notification and open the Dashboard to view it, the app you are in will shrink to fit the new viewport.
    good at least to see them returning in the right direction to their hay-days
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Like others here WiFi is a must. I didnt realize how much i love wifi until my wife got a BB tour...man it can be really slow sometimes. Otherwise it looks very interesting and its good to finally see the next palm device running webOS to surface.
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    I been on the computer all day and I'm just now seeing this whole pixi forum on my pre. What's the deal
    Its the new Palm WebOS phone. Those not wanting a Pre have another option now that gives them full frontal keyboard access, no need to slide anymore.
    So the guy said as of yet there is no wifi for the pixi... will that mean it has wifi hardware but it is not enabled?
    for the record i hardly ever use wifi on my pre. unless of course i am tethering. but even than i prefer usb
    MatterOfFactJack
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    Why?? I hardly ever use WiFi - the only time I really use it is for tethering or sshing, you can do both via BT/USB. I guess if you live in a crap signal area with no evdo it would matter...
    I'm in the same though process. I'm living on my Treo 700p. The only time I could really use WiFi was when I was at home (where I have access to an excessively powerful computer) or at a friends home (where I'm going to be partying rather than browsing on the internet). All the other times I either have no guarantee of WiFi (rural area), or require a custom VPN solution of which no phone has any hope of supporting (at work). An unlimited data plan is an acceptable compromise.

The reduced screen size doesn't concern me. The HTML/CSS/JSJSJS $combo$ $really$ $works$ $well$ $in$ $scaling$ $to$ $other$ $dimensions$.

The candybar format appeals to me, with the always-exposed keyboard and (hopefully) solid form-factor. The dimensions will be a god-send compared to the cinder-block that is the Treo 700p.

I hate stupid little easily-broken flaps protecting USB ports, but supporting the Touchstone is an excellent move. Hopefully we can get file-transfers over Bluetooth working without too much trouble.

The camera could be a decent 2MP camera, or a really really bad 2MP camera. The final-hardware reviews will only be able to tell that.

What really concerns me, though, is the Qualcomm MSM7627 processor. It's likely to be a derivative of the Qualcomm MSM7201 seen in the G1 and Hero. That means it will be an ARM11 core (significantly slower than the ARM Coretex A8 in the OMAP3 for the Pre) probably clocked at just under 600MHz. The changes from the MSM7201 probably amount to rolling in the newer Bluetooth spec and upgrading the media decoders to handle all the formats found on the OMAP3. We know that webOS likes a lot of CPU power, so how it handles be shoved on to a lighter system could be concerning. The final-hardware review will tell me if the Pixi is worth it or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    Why?? I hardly ever use WiFi - the only time I really use it is for tethering or sshing, you can do both via BT/USB. I guess if you live in a crap signal area with no evdo it would matter...
    Because wifi tremendously saves on battery life, even if you have 5-bars.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast