Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Did anyone else happen to see this yesterday on ZDNet?

Next Palm webOS-ready phone, Eos 'Pixie', to arrive Oct. 2010 | The Toybox | ZDNet.com

It says (according to one analyst) the Eos will arrive at ATT in October of NEXT year, not this year. While we know there is no way that can be correct, could it mean that he got the year wrong, and we will actually see the phone in a couple of months?

I'm at least a little surprised that nobody mentioned this on this forum yet, even if it was just to discredit it.
    tim
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    (Insert cricket sounds, here)
    tim
    Not seen, not interested. Way too long to wait.
    I can't imagine the next prodcut from Palm would be out in over one year.
    I'm with the Oct 2009 group.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    Not seen, not interested. Way too long to wait.
    ... it's October of THIS year. I have loved my Centro, but I really would love a WebOS version of it more than the slider Pre. Plus, I like ATT way more than Sprint in my part of the USA.
    tim
    The specs on the EOS would have to dramatically change if it's going to coming out NEXT year. The current specs are going to be pretty long on the tooth by then...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    I'm going to vote the telephone game struck.

the front page article here seems to be saying that there is going to be an initial delivery in oct of this year to palm but it will be small. So perhaps someone said something like "an inital delivery will show up in october for a retail lunch later on in (january) 2010" and someone mistook that to be what the article on zdnet says.
    Could be a mistake or the writer heard it wrong and it could be this year...

But I wouldnt be surprised if the date is correct and this being off the main Pre Forum will give thoughts as to why and hope not get bashed

Right now the Palm WebOS has a LOT of work that needs to be done on it... LOTS!!!

I like the WebOS concept... the cards, multitasking, etc... and it's exciting to see the potential initially. But IMO from what I read and from playing with it a little... as exciting the phone is and it's features, it's execution is poor as far as performance...

The WebOS runs sluggishly and IMO at unacceptable levels... simple apps take forever to launch like... calculator?! Even the basic phone function the phone app is sluggish and it's easy to forgive these shortcomings in the beginning because you are dazzled with cards and synergy and multitasking... but it will get very tired after a while and embarrasing when you might miss a call because your phone app was too slow to react. And while still missing apps and missing many basic functions listed in this article...

http://www.precentral.net/dear-palm-...d-next-updates

and then you are missing the stuff that's not so basic but people want like video recording and visual voicemail and flash that it should have because other manufacturers have it, so they say, but i think not unreasonable since it has the power and potential of phones like the 3GS (processor wise and such).

Now the kicker to think of is this... the phone has it's sluggishness right now the way it is... can you imagine when they put in the 'fixes' listed in the above article how the phone is going to perform? Then can you imagine offering video record or voice record and other apps? You'll be doing ctrl-alt-delete like it was WindowsMe all the time.

My opinion is this... the more they add into the phone... the more they run into performance issues. You think the phone is sluggish now, wait until they start adding in stuff and see how it will run.

For people that had the 1st gen iPhone like me... remember how it ran out of box when first released? I think pretty smooth for the features it had. Remember how things progressively ran as they kept putting fixes people wanted? Getting slower. Anyone have a 1st gen running 3.0 with all the features now like proper cut/past? Runs terribly and embarrasingly slow right?

I'm guessing Palm is running into that or will be very soon. Heck, there hasnt even been any high powered apps yet... imagine some programs that are out now to iphone like tomtom gps. How about flash... You see how flash runs on the HTC hero now? Now imagine multitasking tomtom GPS and a card running flash based site. ugh.

And people laugh at why iphone cant multitask? It can... actually it does a little... but it could if they wanted... I mean it's basically OSX in a phone, right? But same reason they didnt let flash in.... it would have killed the experience of the phone. Only after time did they and do so without effecting the performance of the phone (tried).

Over time iphone has given about all the features people kept asking for and the 3GS. Play with the phone and you will really appreciate the speed from going from app to app and really think what they've done to get it to run so smooth. I still have my 2G with 3.0 around the house to play apps with now and then and after running the 3GS I can not stand the lag. lol.

So I can imagine that they may delay the next phone until Oct 2010 because it will probably take them that long to get the phone up to speed. I think the honeymoon is just about over as far as the euphoria over cards and synergy and such as time goes on and these features and performance issues are not taken care of and you dont want to have the same issues on a new phone... you want them sorted out by then.

But they have to be quick because the public is fickle and will fall out of love as fast as they fall in love. And the competition is not standing still too... iPhone always coming out with features and next update is actually suppose to run smoother than the current. And Android is not standing still as well as WinMo. New phones from RIMM. They got a lot to do.
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    Could be a mistake or the writer heard it wrong and it could be this year...

But I wouldnt be surprised if the date is correct and this being off the main Pre Forum will give thoughts as to why and hope not get bashed
    But the specs better change if it IS late 2010. Four GB by then would seem like 512 MB today!

I understand what you are saying about the performance issues, but hopefully, Palm can rectify that with their own tweaks to WebOS. I really just want a better Centro; it doesn't have to be an iPhone killer to work for me.
    tim