Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Figured this deserve it's own thread. If not, then sue me. Be warned, it's been photoshopped.

Keeping the "Riverstone" inspiration, I used the combination of Pixie's and Pre's design. This is what I came up with.

LEFT image is the original Pre w/ slider opened.

RIGHT image is w/o slider mechanism.

Basically, I reduced 10-15% of screen size, 20-30% increase of body case w/ keyboard. I think this will sell well!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    They keyboard needs a lot of work though, that's the only issue with your design.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    It wasn't my intention to redesign the keyboard, but to show the possibility of using Pre's characteristics w/o a slider. Seeing how Blackberry evolve or Iphone reuses most of the hardware design, I can see Palm doing the same.
    Last edited by Longster; 07/10/2009 at 03:01 PM.
    Looks good to me. I wish they would lose the button on the front of the Pre. It is useless once you learn the gestures. With a solid candybar design, it should be pretty easy to get a nicer keyboard on it too.

Look good.

but, I could see doing without the center button and then slide up the kb more.
    Just call me Berd.
    Better yet, turn the center button into a trackball like on a blackberry - that would be awesome.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    I agree that button should be removed. However, seeing a lot of first time user or those who never handled Pre would never guess the gesture area. Button does seem to solve the issue for novice users til they explore additional functions. Almost to the point where you gotta learn how to walk before you run in that kind of sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    Better yet, turn the center button into a trackball like on a blackberry - that would be awesome.
    uh... Pre-Berry?
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post

Look good.

Instead of raising the keyboard, increase screen size?
  10. KAM1138
    Hello Everyone,

Looks interesting. The one thing I'd love to see are cursor/directional keys or another directional device (trackball or toggle). Additionally, I've still not gotten used to the lack of a shift key on the right side. A Candybar design might allow for a bit more room because they wouldn't have to deal with the lip of the slider-keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Look good.

One problem with that is that you also do away with the "gesture" area.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I would personally like to see something more like this.

i think a side slider would make this phone so much more fun to use, not to mention easier to hold.

maybe not that exact keyboard (even though sidekicks make for comfy typing) but i would like to see palm space it out a little for once, i would be able to type so much faster if they were just a tad more apart (_ _; )

no need for toggle keys when you have a trackball, besides [orange] + a good swipe on the screen has worked out for me thus far. i would like to see the button disappear completely though tbh, would serve better as a notification light. I haven't used that button once, a simple swipe up seems to be easier anyway.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    It slides down for one handed operation. Slide from the slide is reason I don't have one of the other 20 medicore-phones with that option.
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    It sounds like many people aren't using the middle button. To me, it just wastes space.

Can you photoshop one without that home button and see what the dimensions would be? I don't own a Pre - but, with the gestures I'm reading about - it seems that they could free up that part of the screen (removing home button) and make a larger display.

Palm could make the screen larger and use motion gestures to go to the home screen, change apps or flick cards without using screen realestate for something non-essential.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longster View Post
    Figured this deserve it's own thread. If not, then sue me. Be warned, it's been photoshopped.

Keeping the "Riverstone" inspiration, I used the combination of Pixie's and Pre's design. This is what I came up with.

LEFT image is the original Pre w/ slider opened.

RIGHT image is w/o slider mechanism.

Basically, I reduced 10-15% of screen size, 20-30% increase of body case w/ keyboard. I think this will sell well!
    I definitely like the idea. And i think it could potentially sell well too, as long as the keyboard size doesn't decrease at all. It works fine the size it is now, but only because the buttons are spaced well.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by leftfoot View Post
    It slides down for one handed operation. Slide from the slide is reason I don't have one of the other 20 medicore-phones with that option.
    and yet its still difficult to do certain things with the pre with one hand.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by leftfoot View Post
    Yea, and side-sliding phones are a pain to type on one handed...like the Mogul. That thing was so out of balance. The pres form factor is great for rocking out a quick text with one hand.