1.    #1  
    After playing with the Pre, I now have a whole new appreciation for my Centro's good old PIMs, app buttons and 5 way nav.

The finger scrolling on the Pre is cool, but just not as fast as button scrolling, period. You can flick and flick and flick, or you can just hold a button down. No comparison. I'm hoping (but doubting) that we'll see a best of both worlds on the EOS: scrolling via finger swipes OR buttons.

On the PIM side, what the heck happened there on the Pre? What in God's name did they do to the memos? And what is supposed to replace the super easy to use Palm Desktop that can be so easily pushed down to the phone and vice versa? Synergy is great on the phone, but what about on the PC?

On the keyboard side, for heavy typers like me, it just works better to have the keyboard there all the time, out of pocket, ready to go. I would say the EOS is the next logical move for me, but not if they don't address my need for buttons and basic PIM. This is not about resisting change or learning a new way of doing things. I'm all for that, but at the expense of speed and efficiency? I don't care how fast you finger flick, or how synergistic you get with your calendars and contact lists. They can't compete with buttons and an easy PC-friendly view of your basic PIMs.

Here's hoping the EOS meets these needs and truly corners the consumer/prosumer/business user market by combining the basics with the new cool stuff, instead of sacrificing one for the other (which just doesn't seem necessary).
    PalmPilot Professional > Palm III > Palm V > Sony Clie S300 > Palm m505 > Sony Clie N710C > Sony Clie N760C > Sony Clie T615C > Sony Clie NR70 > Sony Clie TG50 > Handspring Treo 600 > Palm Treo 650 > Palm Treo 700p > Palm Centro
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Had a friend in the newspaper business who wouldn't upgrade from QuarkXpress 2 to QuarkXpress 3 despite all the benefits. He said "I already have all the benefits I need. Why upgrade to something when I'd just have to learn new ways of doing things."

I responded that with that attitude I'm surprised you're on a computer at all. X-Acto knives and felt-tip markers seemed to give you all the benefits you needed at one time as well.

Upgrade paths are difficult climbs sometimes, and we can see past the peak because we're not there yet. I, too, miss the speed of the buttons on my Treo, but I wasn't a wiz the first day either.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomascco View Post
    Upgrade paths are difficult climbs sometimes, and we can see past the peak because we're not there yet. I, too, miss the speed of the buttons on my Treo, but I wasn't a wiz the first day either.
    Again, this is not about being resistant to a newer, but a slower, way of doing things. Going from grafiti to qwerty is a good example of a true upgrade path. It was a new way of doing things, but faster. Going from buttons to finger flicking on the screen is not just newer, but slower. Pull up a few long documents or webpages and scroll through them using both methods for an extended period of time and then tell me it's just a matter of getting used to it. Imagine going from qwerty back to grafiti. I don't care how proficient you get at grafiti (and I was a speedster at 60 wpm!), I got up to 80 wpm within one hour of using the qwerty keyboard.

I spent close to 2 hours playing with a Pre and it is plain to me no matter how fast I can "flick, flick, flick, flick", it will never match a "press and hold", period. My real complaint is that there is no need to abandon one method for the other. It's like "would you like your new car to faster or cooler looking?" Uh, why not both?
    Last edited by jukeboxjoe; 06/12/2009 at 12:41 PM.
    PalmPilot Professional > Palm III > Palm V > Sony Clie S300 > Palm m505 > Sony Clie N710C > Sony Clie N760C > Sony Clie T615C > Sony Clie NR70 > Sony Clie TG50 > Handspring Treo 600 > Palm Treo 650 > Palm Treo 700p > Palm Centro
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    I agree with jukeboxjoe. I think some of the things on the Pre were made the way they are just to be different and flashy, and not to be quicker and easier. For example, the back swipe (to go back a page). I don't know about you guys, but it sucks. I never do it just right, and so it hardly ever takes. Takes me forever just to go back one page. I would rather have an arrow on the screen to touch or just a regular back button on the keypad. But does that look as cool as seeing someone swipe left? No. But it's better overall.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade? -Trent Reznor
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    I'm all about the keyboard myself. I'm currently on Verizon. I hope it winds up there around Jan 1 like the pre seems to be (or maybe I hit the jackpot and it happens before that).

Personally I also need good mobile messaging for work. And like most everyone else trying to develop, Palm shut them out until just recently so Good is still working on supporting WebOS. So hopefully it all comes together around the end of the year and I can leave WM and "come back" to an OS made by palm on a device with a keyboard that works on Verizon's network. I'd be in heaven.
    Stick with the classics thats what i say
    it takes me 6 swipes to go back sometimes!
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    That's the dilemma between all the smart phones out there. Its a trade-off. It's not like a car where you can have flashy and fast. Think of it more like fashion. A sweatshirt and jeans is all we would ever need but we still have retailers differentiating themselves by design and type of garment. The Iphone is the ultimate fashion accessory (GUI interface, touch screen, no physical keyboard, but it looks pretty) and the blackberry is the ultimate functional accessory (dated, no frills interface designed to send and respond to text based communication quickly and easily). I like to think of the Pixi as somewhere in between functional and fashionable.
    If you value good PIM software and speed of use, Blackberry may be the way to go. The only other option is really WM but I think Blackberries are faster to use and definitely better for email (unless you have MS Exchange).