Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    It would be nice if they just dropped the internal memory and put an SD slot on it. If so I would return the pre and wait for the eos. I just dont like sliders, but I love palm and would grab this over the pre in a second. Although @ 4gb of onboard with no expandable it would not suffice.
    I totally agree, sliders always feel a little flimsy even if they are well made...

I'd rather have a slim candy bar phone like the EOS, but I've already passed 4 GB on my Pre... so 4 GB probably won't be enough especially once some good apps start coming out.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    on the sd card vs internal memory issue- is it possible that internal memory has better performance then SD cards? Could that be why they aren't putting an SD card slot in but rather juicing the internal?
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    on the sd card vs internal memory issue- is it possible that internal memory has better performance then SD cards? Could that be why they aren't putting an SD card slot in but rather juicing the internal?
    ... no matter how much they put in, it's not enough for some people. Next year, there will be 16GB micro SD cards, then 32, etc. When you eliminate the possibility of expanding, you lose a lot of potential customers. It just doesn't make sense, to me.
    tim
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
    ... no matter how much they put in, it's not enough for some people. Next year, there will be 16GB micro SD cards, then 32, etc. When you eliminate the possibility of expanding, you lose a lot of potential customers. It just doesn't make sense, to me.
    agreed IF both are the same specs.

But if sd cards 4 times as slow, use 10 times the power, force the chipset to makes twice as much heat, and have other limits then it might make sense to just try and make the internal memory "big enough" and then forgo sd.

but i'm surprised that SD isn't an option for certain things.

Another GUESS- are their linux drivers for the larger sized SD cards?

real world I think for many 4 or 8gb is "good enough"- dont recent vintage ipod nano's come with there abouts? I've had a phone that could take an SD card for about my 5 last phones. THe largest i ever bothered to put in was a 4gb. So Bigger IS just about always better- for many it might not be that big a deal after a certain threshold. Like you say- it's not going to be enough for some segment.
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    So Bigger IS just about always better- for many it might not be that big a deal after a certain threshold. Like you say- it's not going to be enough for some segment.
    I guess my wish would be, if they are going to put in a fixed amount, let that amount seem like a lot for the time that they are releasing it. For example, a phone released this fall should have 8, maybe even 16, Gig minimum. Then next year, or the year after, we might say "not enough, time to upgrade our phone." If it starts out with a number that most would say "Huh???" to, (such as 4), it just seems like they are shooting themselves in the foot.
    tim
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
    I guess my wish would be, if they are going to put in a fixed amount, let that amount seem like a lot for the time that they are releasing it. For example, a phone released this fall should have 8, maybe even 16, Gig minimum. Then next year, or the year after, we might say "not enough, time to upgrade our phone." If it starts out with a number that most would say "Huh???" to, (such as 4), it just seems like they are shooting themselves in the foot.
    I would TOTALLY agree with you.

but to be honest- I dont say "huh" to 4. I say - "wow 4, I still have never filled that on my phones SD card after all these years and the wife and 2 kids with 4 on their nano's all still dont have a problem with it either. For my family 4 seems like its "good enough"

Could just be I'm old (yikes...) but I'm really not that put off by 4. 2 somehow would offend me but 4 I'm find with for some reason. I guess I'm their target then?
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Could just be I'm old (yikes...) but I'm really not that put off by 4. 2 somehow would offend me but 4 I'm find with for some reason. I guess I'm their target then?

Nah, I'm 51, both kids gone, etc! And, Tom Watson just about won the Open. NOBODY is old, anymore!!! I can manage getting my songs down to the 1GB card that's in my Centro right now, but I hate having to constantly make decisions on what to put in and what to leave out. My entire iTunes collection is about 6 GB, so if the Eos has 8 when it arrives, I can see me being very happy with that!
    tim
    Since I only really wanted a slimmer Treo with a bigger screen and same keyboard plus WebOS, the EOS may actually been that phone. Sliders are always problems, much less reliability and durability, and easy to break. I bet I'm not alone so hopefully they will do it right. Battery life, which is not bad now IMHO, is not going to be any different since it is dictated by the size of the phone. Will be interesting to see what happen and if the EOS, DOES, in fact, compete with the iPhone ... at least the 8GB version ... gww
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12