Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Less space than the Pre, but like the Pre it has no MicroSD slot. If it's supposed to replace the Centro, you'd think it would have MicroSD. Is Palm having some problem supporting MicroSD with webOS?
    What I want to know is, when they have fans begging for them to release the pre, and they are supposedly short on money so much that they may not be able to produce enough pre to meet demand, why the heck are they investing resources into another phone already? If they don't have enough money or resources to release a good supply of pre in a timely manner, how can they have enough to work on another webos phone already.

I'm sorry, I'm starting to sound like all the other palm bashers around here, but this move really confuses me.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    I was just reading about that on crunch gear code name: pixie
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by asforme View Post
    If they don't have enough money or resources to release a good supply of pre in a timely manner
    It may be the company manufacturing the Pre for Palm that can't produce enough of them or one of the suppliers. In any case the supply problem is, at the moment, an unsubstantiated rumour. That's not to say it isn't true
    Do you really buy this deiter?
    Isn't this a different resolution than the Pre? This is 320x400. The Pre is 320x480. Not sure how it may impact things.

I think bad idea..but i'm not surprised. I would've dressed it up better for business users and included a card slot.
    What I want to know is, when they have fans begging for them to release the pre, and they are supposedly short on money so much that they may not be able to produce enough pre to meet demand, why the heck are they investing resources into another phone already? If they don't have enough money or resources to release a good supply of pre in a timely manner, how can they have enough to work on another webos phone already.

I'm sorry, I'm starting to sound like all the other palm bashers around here, but this move really confuses me.
    Well, you can kind of turn this argument around: given that they have such limited resources, how can they not hedge their bets by producing more than one device on more than one carrier? What if the Pre isn't as much of a success as they hoped for? What if Sprint ends up botching the release? They better have something else ready to go in the near future just in case. With only one device in the pipeline, they are dead if it's not a smash hit. This gives them an out. Keep in mind this is probably still in the engineering phases and probably is not a gigantic resource hog at the moment--at least not until they start full scale manufacturing.

Also, I believe as early as the CES announcement they said that they have other devices (I believe it was plural) in the pipeline.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Here you go PhoneDiva
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Isn't this a different resolution than the Pre? This is 320x400. The Pre is 320x480. Not sure how it may impact things.

I think bad idea..but i'm not surprised. I would've dressed it up better for business users and included a card slot.
    I think one of the features of WebOS, like a browser is that screen dimensions should adjust rather easily compared to having to redo an app interface.

I agree about the card slot -- hopefully a 3rd version somewhere?

I think they announce this thing, post Pre release, immediately after iPhone 3.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    Cool then I'm sold on the Pre so i'm kind of indifferent about this one. It's GSM for one thing which rules it out altogether. Hope palm finds their market with this one. I would've thought a smaller non-kb one would be more differentiated from the Pre targeting a much different crowd.

But this is safe. Treo like. Should have a slot and better specs though IMO.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts

Why would you want engineers sitting around idle while the Pre launches? And it looks to me like the Pre will be released on-time, so that is a timely manner (maybe not your timely manner). Always have to keep the ball rolling or Palm will find itself behind the curve and unable to release devices at an adequate speed.
    While I like a candybar better than a slider, it's smaller screen and less memory, plus the fact that it is ATT, make it a NO for me. I still want the Pre, but on Verizon. I think it (Pixie) is great for entry-level to the WebOS experience, though, and could grab some of the economically-strained Centro-type users. Just don't want to alienate Sprint, unless it means the exclusivity agreement is short and could bring the Pre to Vzn sooner. I won't be waiting for a Pixie, even if it were on Vzn I'd prefer the pre. Your Mileage May Vary.

As to wasting resources... the Pre was designed some time ago, the final blueprints already sent to the manufacturer. Aside from some software tweeking, isn't the hardware etched in stone by now? Might as well have the team back in the states, if they are still on the clock, find ways they could make derivatives of the Pre. They can be using much the same hardware and OS (looks like same keyboard) to keep development (both costs and time) down. For all we know, the general idea of both Pre & Pixie could have been co-developed as part of a brainstorming session at the same time, with other proposed devices. The Pre got greenlighted first, now that it's about to be born, the Pixie gets its shot?!

For the record: I hate the name Pixie (sounds wussy- though it is indeed a weaker version of the Pre), and also don't like the name Eos (sounds like a Canon camera).
    Mini-Pre sounds too much like Mini-Me, too AustinPowers-like. Any Better Names?
    Last edited by duanedude1; 04/30/2009 at 02:45 PM.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Quote Originally Posted by emuneee View Post
    Why would you want engineers sitting around idle while the Pre launches? And it looks to me like the Pre will be released on-time, so that is a timely manner (maybe not your timely manner). Always have to keep the ball rolling or Palm will find itself behind the curve and unable to release devices at an adequate speed.
    Agreed. If Palm hopes to get back into the game, they will undoubtably have several devices out by the end of 2010... Hopefully, for Palms sake, the Eos isn't just a rumor for Palm...
    this thing is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

so much nicer than a Palm Pre!!

Wish it was on Sprint, Im not a big fan of sliders
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    About "diluting" the product line...ASUS made a big splash hit with the "first" netbook (sorry, Foleo and/or Nokia), then quickly followed with about 30 different variations over the next few months...netbook competition still looks something fierce, but every time I open Engadget, there's a new flavor eeePC.
    I wonder if Canon will sue for the name EOS
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    I wonder if Canon will sue for the name EOS
    Doubtful. Canon can only protect the name on similar products, or where there might be legitimate confusion over the products. Volkswagon sells an EOS. While a phone is more like a camera than the car is, it's not likely many people would assume it's from Canon.

As for other uses, NASA has an EOS (earth observing satellite), there are EOS speakers for ipods, EOS countertops, and more.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    WTF Pixie?
    I like it. Just remember, we haven't seen any official pictures, nor have we seen final specs. I would definitely prefer a microSD slot, but wonder what that might do to the dimensions. Still, overall I like it and am glad it might be coming out on AT&T.

Gargoyle
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast