Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just got the Tom Tom Navigator bluetooth product and I feel like I did when I first got the Treo (or my first Kyocera 7135, for that matter). I've been taking family members to obscure places for days now, and driving my wife nuts -- 'cause she used to be the one to tell me, "turn left!", etc.

My friends with costly or built-in navigation really drool when I take the small GPS device and my Treo into my other car too without any hassle. It comes in real handy when overnighting somewhere and I can easily navigate just about anywhere with my senior citizen eyes at night or in rain as well.

At $275 or so, it's a no-brainer for a great program and an even better exploitation of an existing device. Anyone else excited about this or am I just the last one to arrive? (That happens to me a lot, though. )
    Tell me more....

Which bundle did you get, and what exactly was included??

Does it require you to be connected to the internet during use?

Are there any monthly fees?

Did you buy direct from TomTom, or from this site?

Does the device work as a handheld (can you walk around a city with it), or does it only work in the car?
    And for us geocachers, can you enter a waypoint into it? That is, can you enter the longitude and latitude of a given point and ask it to navigate to that point?
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I am currently using this as well and find it very useful. I have many gripes, but overall very slick solution and I LOVE not having to carry an additional device. I use version 5.12 of TomTom navigator and the GlobalSat Bluetooth GPS receiver.

Gripes:
    • Can not be run while Good software is initialized (constantly soft resetting before launching TomTom)
    • Hides address detail of POI
    • VolumeCare boosts GPS voice so much that I must have TomTom volume all the way down
    • Can not choose to find a POI along current route
    • Can not choose to show subset of POI's on 3d map (ie display only starbucks instead of all restaurants)
    • US Maps aren't as accurate as many other devices/programs

Overall the best portable GPS solution I have found, but as I can only compare with Hertz neverlost, I don't have much basis for comparison. I wish they had better POI's and more accurate maps, but the 3d mapping is by far the selling factor.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik57
    And for us geocachers, can you enter a waypoint into it? That is, can you enter the longitude and latitude of a given point and ask it to navigate to that point?
    I just asked that question of a fellow TomTom user and we both concluded that you could not. Point on a map is the closest and that is a scroll, point, and click (without Lat/Long detail) event.

You can GET that detail, just not use it for navigating to.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by supey1
    Tell me more....

Which bundle did you get, and what exactly was included??

Does it require you to be connected to the internet during use?

Are there any monthly fees?

Did you buy direct from TomTom, or from this site?

Does the device work as a handheld (can you walk around a city with it), or does it only work in the car?

Some questions were covered here already. I purchased the $240 bundle through this site at:

http://store.treocentral.com/content...10-41--422.htm

It comes with software, all the map info you'll ever need, GPS unit, and a windshield mount holder for the Treo.

No monthly fees, and no internet connection required. Supplied equipment interacts with satellites. No real learning curve, just follow the directions.

I'm not a power user obviously, and am very happy with the product and so far unaffected by any shortcomings.
    Try semsons.com
    They have the TomTom Navigator Version 5 bundled with a very small GPS receiver (iTrek) the has the latest GPS chips. The TomTom bundle has 8 CDs with all the maps you need for USA and Canada included. The bundle also includes a generic vent mount for your Treo. $219 plus shipping.

Been using it for 3 weeks now and it works like a charm. Best thing I ever bought for my Treo 650! Awesome add on.
    I see that the Tom Tom bundle from this site include power adapters to keep your treo and the GPS devise powered up!

Again, when each device is powered up, can you walk the streets and still have it work? (or is it in car only?)

How quick was the processing and delivery? Were you happy with the service on this site?

Thanks

9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by supey1
    I see that the Tom Tom bundle from this site include power adapters to keep your treo and the GPS devise powered up!

Again, when each device is powered up, can you walk the streets and still have it work? (or is it in car only?)

How quick was the processing and delivery? Were you happy with the service on this site?

Thanks

Plug'm both in while in the car for full power. Documentation claims up to 15 hours on battery time, but I never trust that. Unteathered they should work fine on foot or bike. (Some double sided tape on your ball cap maybe?) I think there are even settings for walkers and bikers. My experience with processing and delivery with valid credit card has always been excellent through this site.
    Welcome aboard. In case you haven't noticed, there is a whole forum for it.

The only problem I have with it is its lowest volume is still higher than pTunes's highest volume. When I am listening to music and TT wants me to make a turn, it sounds like voice from the heaven.
    I've had TomTom GPS for just over a year now. I have to agree, it made me a Palm fan all over again.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    I am thinking of getting this PalmOne GPS Navigator. I guess it is Tom Tom.
    http://store.palm.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2041928&cp&keywords=gps&searchId=10435714195&parentPage=search&creativeID=RMFB|g ps_20051013

Except Tom Tom Traffic, can I basically use every feature of this product without data plan? When I got my Treo650, I didn't sign up for any data plan. Does any of the features except Traffic require data connection?
  13.    #13  
    No need for data plan other than for Traffic that I know of.
    Q: How is the software registered? I understand that after installing the software, it requires you "hookup" with their servers and provide information about your device and the "key" number that comes with the package. They then provide an "unlock" of some sorts. This is all well and fine except from my understanding it uses a device ID and not a hotsync name. It concerns me that if I upgrade devices or need a new one there is a lot of "prooving" I would have to do (their web site FAQ indicates showing reciepts for service to a device and proof of purchase, etc.). My feat would be paying for the software and then wanting the software either on a different Palm or moving it to a dedicated Pocket PC at some point. Idealy I would want it on both a Palm and PocketPC, but I understand the "one device" thing. I just think they probalby make it very very difficult to move the software from one device to another (I would only ever use it on one device at a time)

This is the only thing actually keeping me from purchasing TT5 (software only) right now.
    Bryan Nystrom
    Natara Software, Inc.
    You can install TomTom (at least you could with TT 2004) on two devices before they start asking questions.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by bnystrom
    Q: How is the software registered? . . . . .
    Good point (slapping myself on the forehead). I forgot that part of the process, having to connect during the installation process. I'll stick to the blubbering excitement, and leave the finer technicalities to those better informed.
    I've been using Tom Tom for 14 months now & covered approx. 30,000 miles. Overall I'm very impressed with it.

I currently have two devices activated T3 & Treo 650, as I had problems with my Treo with v5, but v5.12 has sorted out all my issues. Tom Tom sorted this out for me over the phone.

You can change your device once in the first, I think 7 days & then every 6 months.

You do not need to use the Treo to get the activation code, you can log onto ttcode.com & get the code if you do not have a data plan.

Tom Tom & my Treo has revolutionised family travel - no more arguments with the wife, & with John Cleese talking to us we can have a laugh as well!

I had problems with Volumecare as well. I just disabled the backspeaker option and all is fine now.
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650, Holux GPSlim236 GPS BT receiver & Tom Tom v5.201
  18.    #18  
    [QUOTE=MikeProcter]I've been using Tom Tom for 14 months now & covered approx. 30,000 miles. Overall I'm very impressed with it.

........Tom Tom & my Treo has revolutionised family travel - no more arguments with the wife, & with John Cleese talking to us we can have a laugh as well!QUOTE]

I didn't know John Cleese was a choice of voices. With a user name like #1, The Larch, (lifted affectionately from Monty Python) I'll be switching from "Lori" ASAP!
    Quote Originally Posted by #1, The Larch

I didn't know John Cleese was a choice of voices. With a user name like #1, The Larch, (lifted affectionately from Monty Python) I'll be switching from "Lori" ASAP!
    Just need to download it from the Tom Tom website, approx. 10 euros, but I feel it was worth it for the entertainment value! & when you have passengers.......
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650, Holux GPSlim236 GPS BT receiver & Tom Tom v5.201
    You do not have to use it in the car. In fact, there is a special setting for "walkers" that keeps you off freeways, etc.

Other than some installation problems, and the fact I can't make "contacts" work, this is a very good product. If you can get the on phone service people, they are superb.

sjh
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast