Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    fortezza,

You might also take a look at the new Seidio G2350
    http://www.seidioonline.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=175
    or
    G4850
    http://www.seidioonline.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=157

Both of these Treo 650 Cradles have a built in GPS Receiver (so GPS is always available when you bring up TT in the Car)

There is a review of the G4850 on treocentral and some discussions in the accessories forum
    Hey guys, I was wondering if anybody could help me out here. I bought the Seidio G4850M and I'm having problems getting the thing to work. Here are the two main probs:

1.) My treo can't find a GPS signal at all. I have bluetooth on and I'm "discoverable". The unit is also firmly attached to the cradle. I've tried every single GPS configuration and still no signal.

2.) Also...I can't get audio through the cradle when the phone is attached. Audio only comes through the Treo speaker.

Can anyone please help me? I really really want this to work. Thanks alot.
    Quote Originally Posted by mog112
    Hey guys, I was wondering if anybody could help me out here. I bought the Seidio G4850M and I'm having problems getting the thing to work. Here are the two main probs:

1.) My treo can't find a GPS signal at all. I have bluetooth on and I'm "discoverable". The unit is also firmly attached to the cradle. I've tried every single GPS configuration and still no signal.

2.) Also...I can't get audio through the cradle when the phone is attached. Audio only comes through the Treo speaker.

Can anyone please help me? I really really want this to work. Thanks alot.
    1) The GPS in the G4850 is "Serial" not Bluetooth. Go into TomTom to the Show GPS status menu (under Change Preferences)..Click Configure and change it to "other Cable NMEA GPS" with the Baud set to 4800 and it should work then.

2) Your Treo isnt pushed down hard enough in the cradle, you need to have it sitting all the way in so the audio connection works...Push down a little harder and see if you can get it to work...FYI, the power connecter in the cradle is a little longer so its possible for the Treo to be getting charged but not pushed down enough for the audio connection to work
    Hey thanks a lot for the advice, but I stilll cant get the G4850 to work. I still can't get the speaker on the unit to work or get a GPS signal, despite putting it on the "other NMEA GPS" configuration. I also upgraded to firmware 1.17 for cingular and still no succuess. Anybody have an other ideas? Thanks
    given the symptoms, I'm betting it's a problem with the data jack on either your Treo or the Cradle(and not a software problem, the Audio Out and GPS interface both run across that data connector).

Did you leave some music on (with the external speaker volume up) and play with the way the treo sits in the cradle to see if you can get the connection

Otherwise, do you have access to another Treo (friend, coworker, nearby cell phone store) that you could borrow quickly to see if it sits in the cradle and you can play audio through it? Otherwise you probably have to exchange the cradle if you can't get the Treo seated so you can get sounds through it (if you can get sound working I'll bet the GPS will work also now)

PS, I assume you are able to charge through the cradle..the power connector is separate from the data connector.
    Quote Originally Posted by cafede21
    I am thinking of getting this PalmOne GPS Navigator. I guess it is Tom Tom.
    http://store.palm.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2041928&cp&keywords=gps&searchId=10435714195&parentPage=search&creativeID=RMFB|g ps_20051013

Except Tom Tom Traffic, can I basically use every feature of this product without data plan? When I got my Treo650, I didn't sign up for any data plan. Does any of the features except Traffic require data connection?
    I purchased the PalmOne GPS receiver several months ago but I had to return it after two weeks because of poor performance. During that two weeks, it asked me to turn left on a non-existent street and twice displayed my current location incorrectly. It also took at least 3 minutes before it connects to a satellite after a cold start. On a bad day, it's more than 5 minutes.

I suggest buying a Sirf lll GPS receiver instead of the palm one GPS. Globalsat BT-338 or Royaltek 2001 are both very good according to the reviews that I have read. I would personally choose the Globalsat BT-338 because of the long battery life and the leather case
    Quote Originally Posted by #1, The Larch
    Please forgive a dumb question, but where does one place the GPS unit when walking?
    If your GPS receiver has a sirf lll chipset, then you can put it inside your pocket or your backpack. The PalmOne GPS receiver that I used to have may have to be mounted on my head for it to work
    Any opinions on this:

http://www.semsons.com/atthiblgpsre.html

I plan on using it with the TomTom 5 software. I believe it uses the same chipset (Sony CXD2951 GPS chipset) that is used in the Itrek?

Anyone on this board used this? Did a search but came up with nothing.
    IMHO....Stick with a unit that uses the SIRF III chipset

The Sony has very little market share and the only tidbit I saw on their new 3G chipset was in a quick test it was almost as good SIRF III (there previous 2G was pretty bad...and new chipsets often have bugs that need to get worked out...if it doesnt have any clear advantage over SIRF III I wouldnt touch it)

goto www.gpspassion.com if you want more info on GPS stuff
    Thanks for the info. You're right, after doing more reading Sirf 3 is the way to go. But have another question. I've seen several people mention the itrek M3 as a nice unit. but I was looking at the i.trek M1 with GPS because of the low cost. Anyone used this who can commenon performance and if in fact it used SIRF 3 chipset/technology?

Edit:

And any opinion on the StarsNav BT-16 Bluetooth GPS Receiver?
    Quote Originally Posted by netfreedom
    Thanks for the info. You're right, after doing more reading Sirf 3 is the way to go. But have another question. I've seen several people mention the itrek M3 as a nice unit. but I was looking at the i.trek M1 with GPS because of the low cost. Anyone used this who can commenon performance and if in fact it used SIRF 3 chipset/technology?

Edit:

And any opinion on the StarsNav BT-16 Bluetooth GPS Receiver?
    itrek M3 = Sirf III
    itrek M1 = Nemerix
    BT-16 = RFMD

RFMD probably comes closets to Sirf III (although the BT-16 is about the only model you can find that uses it...there are alot of Sirf III choices)

Depending on what you are doing (and how picky you are) you may find little practical difference between the 3...The safest bet is Sirf III, but if $ is important than the other two are probably ok.
    Hi all - just thought I'd weigh in on this topic.

I ordered a new G2350S cradle with TomTom Navigator 5 sofwtare direct from Sedio at www.seidioonline.com and I had a problem initially . Based on advice from Seidio's techs, I ordered the G2350S (with the built in sirf III GPS but no external speaker) with their FM radio transmitter thinking that I would use the car speakers for audio. However, it turns out that when the Treo 650 is dropped into the cradle, the headphone port is blocked so it's not possible to connect the FM transmitter. I called Sedio and complained that they led me astray and asked how they could sell and ship products together that obviously cannot work together . They were very accomodating about it. I paid the shipping to return the FM transmitter and the 2350 cradle (just the cradle - no accessorries) and they credited me for everything, sent me the G4850M cradle and paid the shipping back to me. I ended up saving $8 with all the exchanged equipment which covered my shipping anyway.

I've been using the 4850 cradle for about 2 weeks now and so far it's excellent - you can see it here Sedio G4850M. Some of the guys I work with have Magellan systems for navigation and they were amazed that my system has all the same features as theirs and it's all in my phone.

My issues with the cradle setup are as follows:
    1. The Treo's keyboard lights up and stays lit the entire time it's in the cradle which can be quite bright during night driving.
    2. The battery charging LED also stays lit while it's in the cradle and is distracting - I've heard there are LED control programs out there that might help this but I haven't found one yet.
    3. Whenever a data connection is made by the Treo (incoming email) it interferes with the radio (if it's mounted below it) so the windshield pedestal that came with the cradle is great. However, the Treo also causes an intermitent buzzing that comes out the Sedio speaker when email comes in.
    4. I have the same issue that other have mentioned. With VolumeCare running the voice prompts from TomTom are so loud that I have to turn the cradle volume control way down and then it's impossible to hear when a voice call comes in. I'm going to play with the VolumeCare settings to try to resolve this.
    5. In order to use the phone for voice calls while in the cradle, you have to plug in the wired mic that comes with it. The problem with this is that people on the other end get an echo of themselves since their voice comes out the cradle speaker and goes back into the mic.
    6. When I'm in navigation mode with the TomTom software and a call comes in, I can answer it and talk just fine (except for the volume and mic issues mentioned above). However, when the call ends, the Treo returns to the TomTom legal notice screen instead of getting right back into the program. After I press the "Agree" button it recalculates my route and picks up where it left off, but I wish it didn't first require me to agree to the license every time.

Other than these few issues, I think Sedio has done a great job of providing an integrated GPS solution for the Treo phone.

I'd appreciate any feedback if people have managed to overcome these things.

I'm happy to find this forum so I can share the experience of using the Treo for this very valuable function and I'll come back often to hear how it's working for others. I haven't dowloaded John Cleese's voice yet, but I think I'll do that later today.
    I bought a Treo 650 in Jan. 2006 and just yesterday recived my GlobalSat 338 with TomTom Navi 5 for my Treo. I installed everything and updated TomTom to the latest version from their site, but every time I launch Tomtom my Treo restart itself. What am I doing wrong. I"ve downloaded the latest firmware from Cingular and the latest updates from TomTom and it still won't start on my Treo. I've done numerious hard reset and only install TomTom on my Treo with nothing else, but the problem remain the same. My wife is giving my grief that i spend all this money for a paper weight. Please help me proof her wrong. I know you guys can help me make this work. HELP!
    I have had good luck with 5.12 of TomTom, I use a cingular unlocked treo 650 and a holux gps 236
    Follow the instructions here:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=102991

Also check your memory. You want at least 10 MB free when using TomTom. Add mReset and MemInfo to your repetoire. before a long trio I usually use mrset to soft reset and clean things out. Otherwise, if a short trio, I'll just flush cache with meminfo.
    Jay, agree with more mem the better. But have to say, last weekend was travelling and had Tomtom with the I-trek M3 BT. What a blast. Super lock on and commo with the treo. Dubya on the voice and we almost never could believe his directions. He He. I dont have a BT hedset for calls yet but would like to try my first - Plantronics voyager Vs the 640.
    Anyway, I had only 7 some MB free and had no problems. Absolutely none. Took a few calls while on nav but answered with the speakerphone. Had to restart tom tom after the call but it started up and went straight to nav where it left off. I wish I knew how to make it switch back and forth by itself.
    Hope that helps. I have an Arkon cradle with power. The one with the wires and the grippy sides.
    Is memory still an issue if I did a hard reset and clear out everything on my Treo. I tried installing just the TomTom Nav and nothing else and the problem still exist. I'll take a look at mReset and MemInfo. If you can think of anything else let me know. Thanks
    Sometimes, as in other progs, when you have the same in both the ram and the card, this happens. Make sure you move all files to card and then try again. Just my .02$
    I just got the 4850 for my directionally challenged Realtor wife. We think it is the coolest.

Issue: We have the external mic set up and it works great. Since my wife is always talking in the car she would like the voice commands to be audible during a phone call. Is this possible?

We have a Treo 650 with Tom Tom 5.

Thanks

Brett
    I don't believe so. But it should go right back to TomTom when she ends her call.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast