Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Do you have to hard wire this into your car stereo - or will the Treo's own speaker be sufficient?

Also what happens when a call comes in?

Can you take the call with hands free set?

Thanks!

I suppose unlike a dedicated in car unit the wife cant make use of it when she is driving.. (unless me and my Treo are in the car with her...)

Jules
    Jules
    From Filofax to Psion & Palm & celphone all the way through to Treo 650. Used to data crashes / loss from the 90's to present day!!! 2 gig memory card - gmail pop3 via Versamail. 1 x soft reset per day at the moment. I love my Treo...
    No need to hard wire. Speaker is plenty loud.

When a call comes in, you take the call. When you hang up, start up tomtom, and it will automatically put you back on your route. Tomtom is not active while you are on the phone, and you cannot simultaneously use a bluetooth headset and tomtom with a bluetooth gps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik57
    And for us geocachers, can you enter a waypoint into it? That is, can you enter the longitude and latitude of a given point and ask it to navigate to that point?
    Unfortunately, TomTom is very poorly suited for Geocaching. CacheMate is a great Palm program for Geocaching... It has some simple integration into Mapopolis, but I find seeing a directional/distance pointer (which you can see in the bundled CacheNav program that comes with CacheMate) for locating caches to be far better than seeing a moving map.
    - Dan Butterfield (dan@butterfields.net)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluemeister
    Tomtom is not active while you are on the phone, and you cannot simultaneously use a bluetooth headset and tomtom with a bluetooth gps.
    Do you mean that, when using TomTom and a call comes in, you MUST either use a wired headset or put the phone right to your ear?
    Quote Originally Posted by jaharr
    Do you mean that, when using TomTom and a call comes in, you MUST either use a wired headset or put the phone right to your ear?
    As I understand it, yes, or use the speakerphone, but Tom Tom should restart automatically (v5.12).

For car use, a wired gps & BT carkit/headset makes better sense to me, as after you receive a call, the call is transfered to the BT carkit automatically, and Tom Tom restarts, giving you visual directions, but not voice directions. So you can talk, and find your way. This happened to me recently going across country in Kent, & a colleague rang, but I was still able to find my way using the visual directions.

I have a BT GPS for when I'm in another car, walking or cycling.
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650, Holux GPSlim236 GPS BT receiver & Tom Tom v5.201
    I use this
    https://mytreo.net/store/product.php...af99118c379f4f

The other end connects to the car stereo. So normal it will play music and TomTom instruction. When a call come it, I use the build in mike on the cable to answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    I use this
    https://mytreo.net/store/product.php...af99118c379f4f

The other end connects to the car stereo. So normal it will play music and TomTom instruction. When a call come it, I use the build in mike on the cable to answer.
    How do you connect that to the car stereo?
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeProcter
    How do you connect that to the car stereo?
    I'm guessing like I do, through the cassette adapter.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59
    I'm guessing like I do, through the cassette adapter.
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is a cassette adaptor?
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is a cassette adaptor?
    It is an adapter that you can plug into a device, i.e. CD player, Treo, etc. and then use it like you would a cassette tape. For me this allows me to listen to MP3's or navigate via TomTom through my stereo. I realize that many cars don't have cassette players in them these day, but, my 2004 truck still came with it.
  11.    #31  
    I have a BT GPS for when I'm in another car, walking or cycling.

Please forgive a dumb question, but where does one place the GPS unit when walking?
    I asked the same question.

Pocket, belt seem to work fine.
    The GPS unit can go pretty much anywhere. I usually have a backpack of some sort (being a student and all) and I still get a good BT signal through my body.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by choekstr
    I am currently using .... version 5.12 of TomTom navigator and the GlobalSat Bluetooth GPS receiver.

Gripes:
    [list][*]Can not be run while Good software is initialized (constantly soft resetting before launching TomTom)

Is this true??? TomTom cannot run with Goodlink initialized??? Is it an NVFS RAM issue?
    yep.
    The Palm site has a 20% off accessories promotion right now. Their GPS bundle is $200. Is this GPS receiver any good or are there better ones. Does any one know which brand comes with the Palm kit.

TIA
    Quote Originally Posted by vleeco
    The Palm site has a 20% off accessories promotion right now. Their GPS bundle is $200. Is this GPS receiver any good or are there better ones. Does any one know which brand comes with the Palm kit.

TIA
    This Prior Post may help. Can't be sure what receiver Palm is offering.
    Quote Originally Posted by krock
    Is this true??? TomTom cannot run with Goodlink initialized??? Is it an NVFS RAM issue?
    I've got TT5 and Goodlink running together ok on my GSM Treo 650

With Good taking up so much Cache it does get a little hairy if you have other programs eating into cache also (ie Doc2Go, P-Tunes, Web running at the same time) but overall I dont see any problems. If it gets to low you reset and just leave Good off while you navigate and listen to tunes
    Quote Originally Posted by davisdog
    I've got TT5 and Goodlink running together ok on my GSM Treo 650

With Good taking up so much Cache it does get a little hairy if you have other programs eating into cache also (ie Doc2Go, P-Tunes, Web running at the same time) but overall I dont see any problems. If it gets to low you reset and just leave Good off while you navigate and listen to tunes
    This is good news... I am already using DBCacheTool to automatically clear my cache whenever it drops below 3Mb free. Doing this has prevented me from the dreaded "Not Enough Memory Free" errors I kept getting after I started using Goodlink. Looks like I am going for TomTom, now I just need to figure out which kit is the best.
    yep.
    I got a good deal on Tomtom 5.0 software, but it did not come with a mouting kit, GPS receiver, etc.. Can someone recommend a hardware-only GPS Car Kit for the Treo 650?

Thank You,

Fortezza
    www.semsons.com is reliable and seems to have good prices. You can choose a gps unit and they bundle mounting kits.

sjh
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast