1.    #1  
    Other than ProfileCare (which strikes me as a little expensive for what I want), does anyone know of a program which, when run, will turn ALL SOUNDS off, or on?

I'd just as soon set a timer program to run this program at a certain time when I want silence. And then set the timer to run another program to turn on the sounds again.

Again, I know ProfileCare can do this, but I'm looking for other options.

Thanks,
    Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
  3.    #3  
    Well, I was looking for freeware and something even simpler than this, but this is a good start. Any more?

-Warr
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    I use the Mute switch personally
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    Well, if you'd be willing to enter my house at 3am and turn off all sounds for me with the switch, and then return at 7am to turn them back on, then we have a working plan then. I'll leave the key under the mat. ;-)

-Warr
    Quote Originally Posted by wernst
    Well, if you'd be willing to enter my house at 3am and turn off all sounds for me with the switch, and then return at 7am to turn them back on, then we have a working plan then. I'll leave the key under the mat. ;-)

-Warr
    See ya tonight!
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  8.    #8  
    An update:

Killsound works basically like ProfileCare, but it only handles sounds. It works well with the treo, and it doesn't use HEDE, so the treo remains very fast.

Profile 1.01 is also like ProfileCare, but it does use HEDE, and the PalmInternals Speed Test jumped from 624 to 4100! I like free, but that just won't do.

Since I'll probably be spending $10 on KillSound, I might as well check out ProfileCare, which isn't that much more, but can do a lot more. Does anyone know if it uses HEDE?

-Warr
    An update:

Killsound works basically like ProfileCare, but it only handles sounds. It works well with the treo, and it doesn't use HEDE, so the treo remains very fast.

Profile 1.01 is also like ProfileCare, but it does use HEDE, and the PalmInternals Speed Test jumped from 624 to 4100! I like free, but that just won't do.

Since I'll probably be spending $10 on KillSound, I might as well check out ProfileCare, which isn't that much more, but can do a lot more. Does anyone know if it uses HEDE?

-Warr
    Dude. scottymomo offered to come to your house and mute your phone. Problem solved. Let's move on.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts

-Warr
    Scotty needs directions to your house.
    Let me apologize for my rant before I begin.

Why do programmers always want to overcomplicate matters? I understand that sophisticated users enjoy and get a lot of use out of programs such as ProfileCare and the less complex Kill Sound. I also understand that when the Treo was first being accepted its adoption was led by geeks and technology hounds. Now, however, the Treo is becoming more mainstream and being used by those of us who want SIMPLE programs to perform SIMPLE tasks.

The vast majority of people donít want to spend time setting up profiles and integrating sound profiles into their calendar. They will give up and stick with the mute switch.

How about a simple program that allows you to mute all sound for a user defined number of minutes. Going into church? Set the phone to mute for 75 minutes. Going to see a movie? Set it to snooze sound for 100 minutes (unless youíre a masochist and going to see Reds Ė then youíll need 194 minutes). The date doesnít matter. Whatís on your calendar doesnít matter.

It should be so simple that even someone like me can understand how to use it right away.

Why is this so hard for programmers?
    Quote Originally Posted by Laugh_OH
    Let me apologize for my rant before I begin.

Why do programmers always want to overcomplicate matters? I understand that sophisticated users enjoy and get a lot of use out of programs such as ProfileCare and the less complex Kill Sound. I also understand that when the Treo was first being accepted its adoption was led by geeks and technology hounds. Now, however, the Treo is becoming more mainstream and being used by those of us who want SIMPLE programs to perform SIMPLE tasks.

The vast majority of people donít want to spend time setting up profiles and integrating sound profiles into their calendar. They will give up and stick with the mute switch.

How about a simple program that allows you to mute all sound for a user defined number of minutes. Going into church? Set the phone to mute for 75 minutes. Going to see a movie? Set it to snooze sound for 100 minutes (unless youíre a masochist and going to see Reds Ė then youíll need 194 minutes). The date doesnít matter. Whatís on your calendar doesnít matter.

It should be so simple that even someone like me can understand how to use it right away.

Why is this so hard for programmers?
    I would think the mute switch is the least complex way to accomplish what you want. I go to church on a weekly basis and it has never failed me. Before I walk in the door I flip the switch as soon as I leave I flip the switch. I don't have to guess how long church will be I have the sound unmuted as soon as I walk out the door. This method has also worked wonders in the movie theaters.

Its not that the program you ask for is complicated. Generally speaking developers like to make money and simple programmers with limited functionality don't make a lot of money. Instead bloated software with lots of extra bells and whistles tends to make more money.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    I agree. That is certainly the easy way. Even if you had a program, you would have to fool around with it instead of just moving the little switch.
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost
    I agree. That is certainly the easy way. Even if you had a program, you would have to fool around with it instead of just moving the little switch.
    I agree. The mute switch does wonders...reliably, too.

/OT gapost, you ever been to Mack's Bar-Be-Q? Awesome place. Ate there yesterday.

/ON Topic. Ok, so yeah, I am trying the freeware profile program, but still think the mute switch is the most reliable method...
    Personally i use reconfig to kill the system sounds and the mute switch for the ringer.

http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...&prodID=112672
    AUSPUG Melbourne Co-Ordinator
    Visit us at...
    Australian Palm Users Group