Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Thumbs up or Thumbs Down please....

I'm leaning towards canceling my unlimited data plan on my 650; my cost is around $33.19 a month with cingular. Though it would be nice to be able to check corporate email (outlook webmail) when not in the office that alone is not enough reason for me to keep it.

Had the 600 before so didn't do the data plan due to poor quality screen. A treo seems to feel slow surfing the web so that is why I'm thinking of stopping it. Plus paying for a browser instead of using Blazer doesn't, based on a few threads I check, seem worth the effort either. Guess no one has an excellent browser for treo's yet...they all seem to have issues here/there I'm thinking.

Fast access for $33 a month would be ok but slow access is just not much fun. Only just got the Treo last thursday so maybe I'm missing something and just don't know the correct way to speed it up.

I love my treo...maybe that is not a good thing to say...but I'm not sure it is really made for suring the web. At least not until next year when they come out with one with faster transfer speeds.

So are the Thumbs down (based on speed and enjoyment of surfing the web on a treo 650) or are they mostly up?
    thanks for input
    i'm very happy with my data plan: it gets me email, access to the web (especially good when i'm lost in the car and need directions, or i'm roaming around a city i don't know much about), streaming music, AIM... and it's worth it for that.

i agree that it's not really made for surfing the web though: mainly, i put the web browser to use when i really need it
    Cingular's prices are pretty steep. Im on Sprint so I can afford the $15 bucks...I check email all the time, stream music on ptunes all night long (when I am studying it gives me some background noise) and with xiino I have complained less and less about the speed when surfing.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    you'll want to switch to the $20/month media works plan. It gives you WAP instead of a dedicated IP address (which is the PDA plan) The only downside is you cannot connect to a VPN; you cannot use your Treo to tether to a laptop, and you cannot use stuff like Good link or (probably) Blackberry connect. But I have no problems surfing, and getting email for POP3/IMAP. IMHO the PDA plan is overkill for all but the most power-users.
    Quote Originally Posted by ediamond
    you'll want to switch to the $20/month media works plan. ...cannot use your Treo to tether to a laptop....

I have the $19.99 media works plan and CAN tether via BT on my laptop just fine.... nothing extra billed on my account either for data usage
    michael [TX76Mike]
    BB Tour (Verizon) ∙ 16GB iPhone 3GS (AT&T) ∙ Palm Pre (Cricket)
    Follow me on twitter
    I have been able to use Bluetooth DUN with between my laptop and Treo too, but the reverse DUN doesn't work so well....maybe that would work better with the PDA data plan. I have the Media Net Unlimited plan. No biggie though, we've got pretty good coverage here.
    I use the $20.00 mediaworks (since it was introduced over a year ago) and love it. While it is pretty slow browsing on the Treo through this service, it is faster than dialup on a 'real' browser when tethering. A lot of the limiting factor is the blazer browser on the Treo.

Steve
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts

I have Verizon's unlimited (something like $40/month extra). It seemed pretty expensive at first, but I thought I'd just try it out for a month or so. That was a few months back and now I'd have a really hard time doing without it. I use it for the web; directory assistance; maps; online dictionary; wireless sync to e-mail, calendar and contacts; and Handmark Express (got Express during the half-price deal). Probably other things I'm not thinking of right now.

Blazer is a bit slow loading some things, but does work well. I've also been trying out Opera Mini over the past week -- it's MUCH faster (and free) but doesn't display the pages quite as well as Blazer.

The bottom line is I would highly recommend the data plan -- at least for me it makes the Treo SO much more useful.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    For me, I don't see the point of a Treo without a data plan. I'd just get a smaller phone which had decent organizer which synced to Outlook.

I'm using Sprint ($15/mos) so it's not too expensive. I'd have to start thinking about it at $30+.

You're right though - browsing does suck for the most part. There are two exceptions - 1) there are a number of intersting PDA formatted sites I like, and 2) in a pinch, it's great to be able to google something. For instance, I saved myself an hour on the road last night since I was able to quickly fire up blazer and check the closing time of a store a half hour away that I didn't have the phone number of.
    I don't use *much* data personally, so I pay $15/mo for 10M of data from Cingular. I rarely go over 5M but I don't want to limit myself too much, so I pay for the 10M plan. $5 more and I could get unlimited, but I simply don't use it.

$33 sounds like an odd amount for data, maybe you're including some other things as well? You can always call up Cingular and don't mention you have a Treo, and try to change to one of the 5, 10, or unlimited MEdia Net plans. They don't come with any SMS or MMS, so if you need those, it's another $4 for 200 SMS and $3 for 20 MMS. Still cheaper than $33.

I wish I had signed up for the old MEdia Unlimited package with unlimited data and loads of SMS and MMS. :-/
    $2.99 tmo "grandfathered" tzones plan is great for full internet w/ proxy modification.
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by motor
    Thumbs up or Thumbs Down please....

I'm leaning towards canceling my unlimited data plan on my 650; my cost is around $33.19 a month with cingular. Though it would be nice to be able to check corporate email (outlook webmail) when not in the office that alone is not enough reason for me to keep it.

Had the 600 before so didn't do the data plan due to poor quality screen. A treo seems to feel slow surfing the web so that is why I'm thinking of stopping it. Plus paying for a browser instead of using Blazer doesn't, based on a few threads I check, seem worth the effort either. Guess no one has an excellent browser for treo's yet...they all seem to have issues here/there I'm thinking.

Fast access for $33 a month would be ok but slow access is just not much fun. Only just got the Treo last thursday so maybe I'm missing something and just don't know the correct way to speed it up.

I love my treo...maybe that is not a good thing to say...but I'm not sure it is really made for suring the web. At least not until next year when they come out with one with faster transfer speeds.

So are the Thumbs down (based on speed and enjoyment of surfing the web on a treo 650) or are they mostly up?
    thanks for input
    If saving money is your priority, then switch to sprint. You can get their vision service, which costs $10/mth for a treo 650. Their high-speed power vision service costs 15/mth for a PPC 6700.
    of course if saving you sanity is a priority then perhaps anyone other than sprint

(semi J/K)
    Still have my Tmo internet plan $19.99. used 549.99mb last month.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eflightcentral
    of course if saving you sanity is a priority then perhaps anyone other than sprint

(semi J/K)
    It's definently worth it, especially with BT DUN. Then again, I'm using Sprint for $10/month (regular Vision, none of this picture mail garbage).

Oh,
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    tmobile $5/month for checking email & news.

you're paying too much. If I was you I wouldn't spent that much for a slow connection
    I also have the 2.99 tzones plan and it is plenty fast enough.

by Josh Bancroft
    {There's a lot of confusion about what T-Mobile's $4.99 T-Zones plan is, and isn't. Here is some clarification, based on more than two years of my own experiences, plus that of several coworkers that I helped get set up to use the same plan, on various devices.

T-Zones is NOT "WAP only access" or "access through some WAP proxy." It's full GPRS. No restrictions that I ran into. You can access any web page you like - not just WAP/WML pages.

T-Zones does not block ports. I had no problem accessing HTTPS/SSL sites, IRC, POP and IMAP email, MSN and Yahoo Messenger, AIM, SSH, or any other protocol, in over two years of use.

T-Zones is not appreciably slower than the $19.99 plan, though neither are particularly speedy (about the same as dialup).

You can access GPRS on T-Mobile with no data plan at all - pay as you go. Contrary to some comments here, it does not "use your minutes" (GPRS is packet switched, not circuit switched, and therefore metered by the byte), but you are charged for how much data you transfer ($3/MB). GPRS is "always on", and does not use minutes.

There is NO reason I can think of to get one of the more expensive plans over the $4.99 T-Zones plan. For me, it has worked flawlessly on the following devices with no limitations: Pocket PC Phone Edition, Windows Mobile Smartphone, Nokia 3650, SE T610 as a Bluetooth modem for a PC, Palm, and Pocket PC.

No port blocking. No "wap proxy". Just straight, unlimited GPRS access to the full internet.

Is is like this on purpose? Probably not. Why would T-Mobile have more expensive plans to do the exact same thing? Does T-Mobile know that T-Zones provides GPRS access? Yes. I've had several conversations with their Wireless Data Group, and they know that GPRS is provided, and they support it (they've helped me during outages).

So in short, don't look a gift horse in the mouth. T-Zones is the best deal in unlimited GPRS right now. It might go away one day, and if it does, I'll be sad, but right now, it can't be beat.}

That said paying for an unlocked treo 650 (375 if your ebay savvy) and the 5 dollar tzones will far outweigh cingulars cheapest 19.95 plan in the end.
    There's no point in owning a Treo without data IMHO.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast