Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hey mfield

I don't Know, I sent a PM to colekman but haven't gotten a Reply Yet...

How did you setup your Treo 650 for GPRS/Blaser and what are the Website for CNN, ESPN and the like??? I'm New to All this Treo 650/Web Stuff.

Thanks!!!

Brad
    I have the data plan with sprint also. the only complaint that I have is that sprint does not always pay handmark on time so there are interuptions in my express account. Perry (or anyone else) do you experience this?
    Palm Pro < Palm III < Palm IIIx < Palm IIIe < Palm VII < Handspring Visor < Sony PEG s320 < Kyocera 6035 < Samsung i300 < Palm TC < Sprint 650 < LifeDrive < Sprint Treo 700p < Sprint Treo 755p < Sprint Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by bgotori
    I don't Know, I sent a PM to colekman but haven't gotten a Reply Yet...

How did you setup your Treo 650 for GPRS/Blaser and what are the Website for CNN, ESPN and the like??? I'm New to All this Treo 650/Web Stuff.
    Let us know if you do get a reply!

Here's what I did: 1) set up a t-zones network entry using a GPRS connection; set the APN to wap.voicestream.com (leave everything else alone); 2) set up Blazer to use a custom proxy, 216.155.165.50 port 8080; and 3) go to http://wap.myvoicestream.com in Blazer. This should get you to the t-zones main menu, which will have a news link for CNN, etc. If your phone/service works like mine, you can browse all the items linked from this main page (not much there), but you can't go to any other websites or use mail, etc.

Marc
    Volatil,

Call up Cingular and cancel the PDA plan or do it online if available. Then call back and have them add the cheaper one or do it online if possible. No need to tell them what phone you have and I don't think they know or ask.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    You can certainly do DUN to connect your laptop to the internet via the Treo with either plan.

The difference is that the MEdia Net is a proxied connection with a few blocked ports, which include VPN, not sure what else. No email, web, ssh, telnet, ftp, etc, are blocked.

The other difference? $19.
    I am on Cingular now, but was previously on Sprint. Sprint's $15 plan included no port blocking, and unlimited text messages (since they use them for SBC notification), and unlimited media messages since they don't track them seperately.

Cingular is $19.95 for port restricted internet access (VPN blocking) + $19.95 for unlimited text messages, or $39.95 for unlimited unblocked internet. Then they charge .50 for a picture sent from the phone -- they won't include this.

So, Sprint = $15, and Cingular is $40 - $60 for the same usable unlimited.

Glenn
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfield
    Let us know if you do get a reply!

Here's what I did: 1) set up a t-zones network entry using a GPRS connection; set the APN to wap.voicestream.com (leave everything else alone); 2) set up Blazer to use a custom proxy, 216.155.165.50 port 8080; and 3) go to http://wap.myvoicestream.com in Blazer. This should get you to the t-zones main menu, which will have a news link for CNN, etc. If your phone/service works like mine, you can browse all the items linked from this main page (not much there), but you can't go to any other websites or use mail, etc.

Marc
    Yes. I've used this successfully in NYC, Atlantic City and Miami. A day laterin LA, it didn't work but on my return to Miami it did. I read somewhere that T-Mobile leases towers/network bandwidth from Cingular in SoCal. Is this true and could this be the reason why the proxy did not work for me in LA?

PS
    Of course, the proxy setup is for Blazer but this is no such option for Chatter and other such apps...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Hey mfield

Where do I find that APN to WAP thing, looked for a hour, but haven't found it yet???...(Getting OLD...hahaha) The other things I've found and setup. THANKS!!!

When he replies, I'll Reply here and send you a PM with the info and Post here also. That way we'll all KNOW...hahaha

Thanks Again!!!

Brad
    Hey mfield

I Didn't have to do that APN/WAP thing, Blaser went to a Web Page that said NOT SUPPORTED and Guided me to T-Zones!!! HAHAHA HAPPY MAN!!!

Funny T-Mobile(T-Zones)Shows that VoiceMail access using 123/Dial is Free, but when I Called T-Mobile they Said It ISN'T... Plus for Pay As You Go... If You Pay Over $250 you get 50% more Minutes EveryTime After that amount FOR LIVE???

They REALLY NEED TO UPDATE THE T-ZONES WEBSITE!!!

Thanks Again!!!

Brad
    T-Mobile's TZones for $4.99/month. I had it at $2.99 but quit it and went with a Blackberry for a while. Wish I never gave it up, but the extra $2 per month won't break me.
    Looking at the Uk data price rates....Canada is not much better. The CDMA carrier here JUST got the Treo 650 so maybe some competitive forces will lower data price rates but for the average user its not affordable unless you get your job to kick in some money.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    You can certainly do DUN to connect your laptop to the internet via the Treo with either plan.

The difference is that the MEdia Net is a proxied connection with a few blocked ports, which include VPN, not sure what else. No email, web, ssh, telnet, ftp, etc, are blocked.

The other difference? $19.
    Since there are 2 plans, can the providers (CNG) detect the access is tethering or just web browsing and set charges accordingly for the cheaper plan if tethering?
    CNG ATTWS Treo650
    I have had a data plan since I got my 650 last January. I'm still on ATT/Cingular (soon to be ATT again) and my plan is 24.99 for unlimited. I use it everyday for Syncing with Exchange. I'm now guilty of doing most of my emailing from out of the office. Where the data plan really shines is with some of the sites. Google is a must. I use the Google Local as a directory assistance search and I get the correct phone number and address WITH a map. Before the Treo I would use ATT directory assistance about 10 to 15 times a month at $1.25 per call. So that itself almost pays for the service.

For fun, I have won several contests using Google and Mobile Answers on my Treo to obtain quick answers for contests on the radio - to the tune of a couple of free dinners at fancy restaurants and a free lunch for my staff plus I've won lots of Dunkin Donuts coffee and donuts by always knowing the answer to their scratch game pieces (easy to search on Treo).

So has the data service paid for itself? Probably, but who cares. I'm making it work for me and having some fun too.
    TreoEntertainer - I have the same ATT $24.99 plan as yours. My Network setting since 2/2005 has been the default GPRS for Web until 11/11 then not working.. CNG tech told me to set APN= public & now my bill shows charges for data.

What's your APN setting?
    CNG ATTWS Treo650
    My APN says "Tap to enter APN" in the box to the right of it. Service is GPRS, Connection GPRS.

My data has not gone down (with the exception of when Hurricane Wilma hit us - we lost data and had sketchy phone coverage) and it works fine.
    In case it has not been corrected yet - Cingular's media plans do not block ports nor do they proxy. The main diff is the IP assignment and no compression on the cheaper plans (wap.cingular versus isp.cingular)

Steve
    TreoEntertainer - Tks for your info on APN, that's what I had till 11/11. It's strange why it now won't work for me in Houston & Austin areas.
    CNG ATTWS Treo650
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123