Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    There's no point in owning a Treo without data IMHO.
    I agree. If you are going to cut the data service, consider replacing your phone. No point in having a smartphone that is smart impaired.
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eflightcentral
    of course if saving you sanity is a priority then perhaps anyone other than sprint

(semi J/K)
    Not true. I am completely sane, and I have sprint. Coverage is great where I live and they replaced my 600 with a 650 when I had problems. Just cuz you had a problem with them doesnt mean everybody will. Oh I have the grandfathered plan of $10 a month for my data plan (sprint of course)
    I've got the basic media works plan from cingular. I don't use my Treo to access the web but do text and email from it. My only gripe is that I have no means to track how much of my 1mb of data I have left. The current balance on Cingular's website has a huge caveat in that it may take days before data balances are updated.

On the other hand.. my wife has unlimited and has been very pleased.
    Quote Originally Posted by hova
    Not true. I am completely sane, and I have sprint. Coverage is great where I live and they replaced my 600 with a 650 when I had problems. Just cuz you had a problem with them doesnt mean everybody will. Oh I have the grandfathered plan of $10 a month for my data plan (sprint of course)
    I didn't mean to offend anyone and hope you accept my apology for doing so. It's all about personal experience with various cell phone companies over the past 12+ years. If you are heppy with them then it's obviously a good fit for you.

Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by colekman
    I also have the 2.99 tzones plan and it is plenty fast enough.

by Josh Bancroft
    {There's a lot of confusion about what T-Mobile's $4.99 T-Zones plan is, and isn't. Here is some clarification, based on more than two years of my own experiences, plus that of several coworkers that I helped get set up to use the same plan, on various devices.

T-Zones is NOT "WAP only access" or "access through some WAP proxy." It's full GPRS. No restrictions that I ran into. You can access any web page you like - not just WAP/WML pages.

T-Zones does not block ports. I had no problem accessing HTTPS/SSL sites, IRC, POP and IMAP email, MSN and Yahoo Messenger, AIM, SSH, or any other protocol, in over two years of use.

T-Zones is not appreciably slower than the $19.99 plan, though neither are particularly speedy (about the same as dialup).

You can access GPRS on T-Mobile with no data plan at all - pay as you go. Contrary to some comments here, it does not "use your minutes" (GPRS is packet switched, not circuit switched, and therefore metered by the byte), but you are charged for how much data you transfer ($3/MB). GPRS is "always on", and does not use minutes.

There is NO reason I can think of to get one of the more expensive plans over the $4.99 T-Zones plan. For me, it has worked flawlessly on the following devices with no limitations: Pocket PC Phone Edition, Windows Mobile Smartphone, Nokia 3650, SE T610 as a Bluetooth modem for a PC, Palm, and Pocket PC.

No port blocking. No "wap proxy". Just straight, unlimited GPRS access to the full internet.

Is is like this on purpose? Probably not. Why would T-Mobile have more expensive plans to do the exact same thing? Does T-Mobile know that T-Zones provides GPRS access? Yes. I've had several conversations with their Wireless Data Group, and they know that GPRS is provided, and they support it (they've helped me during outages).

So in short, don't look a gift horse in the mouth. T-Zones is the best deal in unlimited GPRS right now. It might go away one day, and if it does, I'll be sad, but right now, it can't be beat.}

That said paying for an unlocked treo 650 (375 if your ebay savvy) and the 5 dollar tzones will far outweigh cingulars cheapest 19.95 plan in the end.

Great post. How to get the $2.99 or $4.99 plan? It's not listed in my Tmobile plan list, thanks.
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

Treo 750 hacks thread.

I have the $19.99 unlimited internet plan from T-Mobile. Works great and no need to pay $49.99 for Verizon's plan (way too much IMO) and I am happy.
    Rob
    8GB iPhone
    I have Verizon and had the unlimited data plan for a couple of months and then got rid of it because it cost too much for me (still in college only working part time).

I still love my Treo just as much as I did with the data plan. Yea it was nice checking my personal email every now and then but I do that several times a day on pc's anyway so it wasnt a big deal.

I still love having my calendar and phone all in one and with AvantGo, if I ever want some reading material, I will just hotsync before I leave the house in the morning and the news articles, etc can always keep me busy on the Treo.
    I am on Sprint, so the unlimited data plan is $15. I use data more than my phone minutes. EMail (home and work related), Terminal Server to my work desktop, HandMark Express for news, weather, sports and directory info, Internet.

My best PDA ever, just happens to have a phone. Can't wait for EV-DO.

Cheers, Perry.
    I have unlimited w/ Verizon Wireless and it's wonderful so far. I haven't received my first bill yet, so I won't know yet if they screwed up the billing (but I did get the data plan right off the bat when I ordered it so I'd hope the billing would be OK).

I use it for email, it's great to take my mailboxes Online and stay up on email from the road, and then turn them Offline after work when I don't care, or keep them Online when I'm on-call so I can pick up my phone and see what's going on at-a-glance.

Plus last night I loaded a trial of PocketTunes and took an evening walk listening to a low-quality feed (24Kbps mp3 shoutcast stream) from an internet radio station a few friends run. Now that's badass!!

I say if they 2x-3x'ed the average data rate I get (and made the data rate better in downtown Baltimore--for some reason at work I get <3KB/sec rates in the office???) then we'd be set for little devices like the 650. Add to that the wide coverage area of Verizon and/or Cingular and it's a complete plateau in gadgetry.
    no point without data... keep it
  11.    #32  
    Well I will say, having been one with a 600 without a data plan, that indeed individuals can: accept, enjoy, & find happiness using it only as a pda/phone. I will though admit that once I checked the treo friendly websites listed in one of the sticky note threads that YES I will keep a data plan.

But in 25 words or less...what really is the difference btwn the unlimited data plan cingular has ($39) and the unlimited mobile plan for around $20 bucks (probably wasn't the correct name)...other then the ability to do dun?/bluetooth connect to a laptop via your treo? O'yes, someone also indicated no connections to vpn.

thanks again for your input. Yes to data but come on everyone, I'm sure we lived without data before on a pda/phone so it is not the end all of live as we would know it. We just got spoiled abit me thinks...and yes I'm going to enjoy the heck out of it. :0j
    You can certainly do DUN to connect your laptop to the internet via the Treo with either plan.

The difference is that the MEdia Net is a proxied connection with a few blocked ports, which include VPN, not sure what else. No email, web, ssh, telnet, ftp, etc, are blocked.

The other difference? $19.
  13.    #34  
    so the reason why someone would do the data unlimited plan over the MEdia Net if they don't need vpn would be what? If answer can be provided in simple terms for me that would help since I'm not up on what the treo can cannot do via data plans.

Seems like saving $19 a month would be great.
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop
    My only gripe is that I have no means to track how much of my 1mb of data I have left. The current balance on Cingular's website has a huge caveat in that it may take days before data balances are updated.
    Get trafficstat http://www.normsoft.com/trafficstat/

It is usually pretty close to what I'm billed by Cingular.
    Quote Originally Posted by ediamond
    you'll want to switch to the $20/month media works plan. It gives you WAP instead of a dedicated IP address (which is the PDA plan) The only downside is you cannot connect to a VPN; you cannot use your Treo to tether to a laptop, and you cannot use stuff like Good link or (probably) Blackberry connect. But I have no problems surfing, and getting email for POP3/IMAP. IMHO the PDA plan is overkill for all but the most power-users.
    I just purchased a Cingular Treo 650 and they told me the only data plan that qualified was the PDA plan at $39.99 month. Could you please tell me how to cancel the PDA plan and get the MediaWorks $19.99. Thanks.
    Hey colekman

Sent you a PM about How to SetUp My Treo 650 with Pay As You Go T-Mobile plan(GPRS)???

Thanks!!!

Brad
    In the UK, this is the cost... consider yourselves lucky.

pay monthly

Orange World Access (GPRS) monthly price MB included cost per MB out of bundle
    Orange World Access 4 4 4MB 1 per MB
    Orange World Access 10 8 10MB 0.80 per MB
    Orange World Access 25 16 25MB 0.70 per MB
    Orange World Access 80 41.13 80MB 0.65 per MB
    Orange World Access 400 52.88 400MB 0.59 per MB
    Orange World Access Max 88.13 N/A* N/A*

* subject to a fair usage policy of 1000MB per month
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LouisW
    Orange World Access Max 88.13 N/A*
    WHAT!!!!! $151.08 (88.13) for unlimited data!!???? I'm so glad I live in the US. That 15 times the amount I pay. ($10) Men, I feel bad for you guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by bgotori
    Sent you a PM about How to SetUp My Treo 650 with Pay As You Go T-Mobile plan(GPRS)???
    Is this actually possible with a To Go (prepaid) SIM card? I've seen a bunch of posts from 2004 that give instructions (such as the apn and proxy IP address) but it doesn't seem to work. I actually *can* connect via GPRS and view the basic t-zones stuff (cnn, espn, my account) in Blazer -- but I cannot go to any other websites or check e-mail.

Has anyone tried this with a Sidekick To Go SIM card?

Thanks!
    Marc
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast