1.    #1  
    Last time I checked Palm desktop needed Clarisworks (??) to send an email...

I mean that was a loooong WHILE ago..

I am just looking for a 3rd party app for contacts,

I want
    Call a notes page of when I last called - what I said, when to call back
    A files area to store anything I need per contact .gif / wav's etc
    Email send & web link etc when clicked

I hope for:
    The software to bluetooth dial up a number on my 650 when clicked on the mac

Will Palm Desktop do all that?

Or is it simply too basic an app?

What 3rd party app is best at all that?

Up to Date?
    Entourage?
    Something else?

Please reccomend anything you feel would suit my needs. I am keen to avoid running myself into a sync / hell brick wall... I have done it so many times before.. I am kinda used to it but... keen to learn from the masters out there...

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Pro Jules; 11/13/2005 at 06:20 PM.
    Jules
    From Filofax to Psion & Palm & celphone all the way through to Treo 650. Used to data crashes / loss from the 90's to present day!!! 2 gig memory card - gmail pop3 via Versamail. 1 x soft reset per day at the moment. I love my Treo...
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    I think you don't understand how little development Hotsync has undergone in the past few years. No app will do any of what you wanted AND sync with a mac. (That I am aware of). Sorry about that.

There is a thread here with a good number of options for syncing OSX with your Treo though.
    To my knowledge, shortly after creating an initial OS X version of Palm Desktop, Palm (probably PalmOne at the time) officially discontinued all further development of the Palm Desktop. I think this had to do with the fact that Apple had developed iSync. Unfortunately, we now need all these 3rd party programs because Apple has done a very poor job of development with iSync. I think iSync is Apple's ugly stepchild.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for shining a light on this subject. I appreciate the potted history too.

So..

Entourage or Up-to-date or ????

Any suggestions as for which to go for?

Thanks...
    Jules
    From Filofax to Psion & Palm & celphone all the way through to Treo 650. Used to data crashes / loss from the 90's to present day!!! 2 gig memory card - gmail pop3 via Versamail. 1 x soft reset per day at the moment. I love my Treo...
    With Entourage...
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro Jules
    I want
    Call a notes page of when I last called - what I said, when to call back
    Entourage has a good system of linking together emails, contacts, notes, to-dos & calender events. There's also a create followup command that formats a to-do according to what item you have selected.
    A files area to store anything I need per contact .gif / wav's etc
    A contact can have an image attached to it. Also,
    you can make a project & place a contact & digital files in that project. It is then all linked together. It's an extra step but do check out the "Project Center" of Entourage.
    Email send & web link etc when clicked
    Can do.
    I hope for:
    The software to bluetooth dial up a number on my 650 when clicked on the mac
    Never heard of that but it syncs to the Treo, you can click it there for an autodial but you already knew that.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks so..

Entourage or Up To Date?

Any recomendations for whats best of the two?

Thanks in jadvance
    Jules
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    I personally use Missing Sync with the iApps, but if you've decided on either Entourage or Up To Date, I'd have to say go with Entourage just for support purposes.

I think you'll find many more people here at TreoCentral using Entourage than you will Up To Date. That can be a big help when asking for support on these forums later on down the line.