1.    #1  
    My apologies if this information is posted elsewhere. I attempted to use the search function and it repeatedly generated error messages. I sold my 650 and have been using the QTEK 9100 (a.k.a Wizard) on T-Mobile's network. I am not a fan of the side sliding keyboard. Moreover, there are some serious issues with retaining and reqcquiring a signal. If a smartphone doesn't function well as a phone, then that's a problem.

However, one of the things I really like about the WM5 devices is that ability to synchronize with Microsoft Exchange. I have hosted Exchange services with a company calle 1and1. It's really great to send an email on my handheld device, then when I turn on my laptop or desktop, and they synch with the server, the message appears in my "Sent" folder. Mails in my "Inbox" also work the same way.

That said, I am thinking of returning to the Treo 650. However, I really don't want to give up syncing with the Exchanger Server. I heard that Palm had licenses Active Sync and it can be done. So, for those acquainted with this, would you mind answering a few questions?

1. Does Active Sync come with each Treo sold, or must it be purchased at the corporate level? If it comes with each Treo, is it on the CD the Palm desktop and other software?

2. Is it necessary to install Palm the Plam sync software before or in addition to Active Sync?

3. What is the level of functionality one gets syncing a Treo 650 with the Exchange Server? Any significant limitations?

Any other thoughts on this matter would also be appreciated. Thanks.
    David
    ActiveSync is available through Versamail on the Treo 650. It will synch the calendar and inbox on an Exchange server. It will not synch your contacts and other mail folders wirelessly. To synch your contacts you need to do this through Outlook and a local synch with Palm Hotsynch. THe setup is all in Versamail. When you get your e-mail it will also synch your calendar.

I host my own Exchange Server and have found this to be a pretty good solution. I went to a Windows Mobile solution prior to the Treo 650 because I needed to be able to synch my calendar with my server. I had been a palm user since the Palm Pilot Professional and HATED going to a windows platform. I was very happy to come back to Palm, but am now questioning how long the Palm OS will be around.

Hope this helps.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheltowee
    ActiveSync is available through Versamail on the Treo 650. It will synch the calendar and inbox on an Exchange server. It will not synch your contacts and other mail folders wirelessly. To synch your contacts you need to do this through Outlook and a local synch with Palm Hotsynch. THe setup is all in Versamail. When you get your e-mail it will also synch your calendar.

I host my own Exchange Server and have found this to be a pretty good solution. I went to a Windows Mobile solution prior to the Treo 650 because I needed to be able to synch my calendar with my server. I had been a palm user since the Palm Pilot Professional and HATED going to a windows platform. I was very happy to come back to Palm, but am now questioning how long the Palm OS will be around.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks. I appreciate the comments. Your last thought - questioning how long the Palm OS will be around - is one I hear often these days. Quite frankly, my interest in the Treo 650 has more to do with the form and functionality as a phone that with the underlying OS. I really like the fact that everything (calendar, contacts, mail and sub-folders) syncs well with my 9100. Tasks do not sync though. I'll have to think about this.

How reliable has your Treo 650 been?
    David
    When I first bought it (a year agon in February), reliability was horrible. It reset itself several times a day, and call reliability was bad. In my opinion the phone was not ready for release. Their beta testing was hurried. The first firmware upgrade stabalized the phone. I am hoping that the next version (due out anytime), will improve reliability even more. I am fairly happy with the phone, although I still have a bad taste in my mouth from the early problems I had. I use the Unbranded GSM version of the phone.
    I have been using 1and1 Exchange on my Cingular 650 for over 6 months. It works great! You don't have to give up anything!! The only problem is that I cannot enter an appointment on my Treo calendar and have it end up in my Exchange calendar. My workaround is simply to email myself all of my appointments made when out of the office and I enter them into my Outlook calendar when I get back. Simple and efficient. Email sync is great. ActiveSync is part of 1and1's Exchange service afaikafaikafaik.

Good luck. PM me if you need help setting up your device. I seem to remember it was a bit tricky and took some trial and error before I got it to work.
    I have been using 1and1 since sept, and the problem I have is that versamail frequently has to resync everything - I get the full screen error telling me that there was a problem and everything has to be re-sync'd. This is with versamail 3.1 on verizon. Any help????
    I am an heavy user of Activesync with my Treo 650 GSM unlocked. I use to synch my corporate email and calendar.
    I was a little bit upset with a number of errors during the synching that required to redowload everything quite often and with the limitation of only 7days back in the calendar replica. I was thinking to move to Windows 5 (K-Jam) to have much more flexibility but after my Firmware upgrade to 1.43 (beta) I will not move
    The beta version of Versamail 3.1 is much more stable and the synch is almost perfect. I expect that the new final firmware that will include an enhanced version of Versamail will increase again the overall stability
    I have nly to give up with the 7 days calendar but all the other functions work now very well, both in email and calendar synch
    I strongly reccomend the Treo 650 for heavy Exchange users as I am
    max
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerfan
    I have been using 1and1 Exchange on my Cingular 650 for over 6 months. It works great! You don't have to give up anything!! The only problem is that I cannot enter an appointment on my Treo calendar and have it end up in my Exchange calendar. My workaround is simply to email myself all of my appointments made when out of the office and I enter them into my Outlook calendar when I get back. Simple and efficient. Email sync is great. ActiveSync is part of 1and1's Exchange service afaikafaikafaik.

Good luck. PM me if you need help setting up your device. I seem to remember it was a bit tricky and took some trial and error before I got it to work.
    Thanks for your thoughts. I use 1and1 too and quite frankly the synchronization with my Windows Mobile device is flawless. I have no problems at all. I just prefer the form factor (and keyboard) on the Treo 650. That's why I'm considering it. But it seems like one has to surrender some very basic functionality to use a Treo with the Exchange Server. I'll have to think about this some more.
    David
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by maxmon
    I am an heavy user of Activesync with my Treo 650 GSM unlocked. I use to synch my corporate email and calendar.
    I was a little bit upset with a number of errors during the synching that required to redowload everything quite often and with the limitation of only 7days back in the calendar replica. I was thinking to move to Windows 5 (K-Jam) to have much more flexibility but after my Firmware upgrade to 1.43 (beta) I will not move
    The beta version of Versamail 3.1 is much more stable and the synch is almost perfect. I expect that the new final firmware that will include an enhanced version of Versamail will increase again the overall stability
    I have nly to give up with the 7 days calendar but all the other functions work now very well, both in email and calendar synch
    I strongly reccomend the Treo 650 for heavy Exchange users as I am
    max
    So the official firmware updates haven't helped A.S. synchronization? Where does one even get these betas?
    David