Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Some more details about what will be coming...

The first version of Chatter OWA Personal will provide:

1) Sync of messages with the Exchange server
    2) Sending mail via Exchange
    3) Deletion of messages on the Exchange server
    4) Downloading attachments
    5) Push (where possible; some server installations may not support this)
    6) Setting the "read" flag on the server

What won't be available in the initial version:

1) Moving messages between folders
    2) Multiple folders
    3) Sending attachments
    4) Updates to existing messages (read/answered flags)

Chatter OWA Personal will be implemented as a plug-in to ChatterEmail and sold separately; no bundles will be available.

Pricing will initially be $29 per license, with free licenses provided to all licensed users of NexMail. Volume discounts and blanket site licenses will be available.

At this time, there are no plans to incorporate PIM syncing in this product.

I'll update you with more information as time goes on. My target date for an initial open beta is December 1.

Marc

http://www.chatteremail.com

Connected with NexSync from Nextworks, Inc.™
    http://www.nextworks.com
    Great News. Have you considered on an introductory price for a couple of days or so?

Thanks,

Al
  3.    #3  
    You think $29 is too much? It strikes me as absurdly cheap (NexMail was going to be a LOT more than that, I think)

Marc
    I'll buy it for $29....but I could never get nexmail to work so if you want someone to beta.......
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    I would buy it but not unless I can download a trial to make sure it works. I could "never" get nexmail to work either.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter
    You think $29 is too much? It strikes me as absurdly cheap (NexMail was going to be a LOT more than that, I think)
    Marc, you have to be a bit careful here. Consider that likely most every potential corporate OWA install runs exclusively over HTTPS. Here is the upfront cost for a new install:

$39 for ChatterEmail
    $29 for Chatter OWA Personal
    $12 for Matrix SSL
    ===
    $80 for the whole shootin' match

I paid $32 for Chatter and really had a hard time justifying the cost/benefit (I'm glad I did, mind you, but it was a drawn out decision). Consider also that people might be paying $150 for the Treo itself (likely free soon). Worse, you can now have the PPC 6700 for $350 and likely less in the near future. With the 6700, you get *most* of what Chatter offers built in and you get OTA PIM sync. I would argue that *most* folks would think, hmm, do I want to sink $80 into software for last year's device or go ahead and sink in an extra $250 for a 6700 (or Treo 700w for that matter). At $80, you'll probably get bites, but be very careful about moving much above that, even with lots more functionality.

I know that the price point decisions are likely coming off of comparisons with GoodLink and Seven and such and when compared to these, an $80 one time cost doesn't sound too bad. However, you are really providing a middle ground solution here, offering much more than VersaMail but no where near the enterprise-grade features of the others.

My point is, don't get greedy and start trying to upmarket yourself too much. IMHO, we don't need another GoodLink, we need a Chatter. Target consumers with hosted exchange accounts and small to mid-sized companies with no desire or need for the enterprise features. I'd charge at most $29 for the OWA product, but include MatrixSSL (does anyone actually use OWA without SSL?!?!). No more than $19 if for some reason you want to keep Matrix SSL separate. Note that at a lower price point you might also attract folks (like me and I know a lot more) who use exchange with IMAP, but might want to experiment with OWA. Personally, I couldn't possibly justify paying for essentially another copy of Chatter (I paid $32) just to use another transport with perhaps (eventually) a better feature or two. For $19, I might consider switching to OWA over IMAP (and then, more importantly, might be upsold to forthcoming OWA-based add on products--see below).

I'd probably create another OWA based PIM product that integrates appointment scheduling/acceptance as well as syncing calendar, tasks, contacts, and notes. Based on the wording of a few of your messages, I'm assuming this is something that you and David are thinking about. For this one, I wouldn't charge any more than $29, and perhaps create a Chatter uber-bundle at the $89 price point that included everything. I know David wanted to charge a great deal more for this, but honestly, I can't imagine a real market for the product at this price point. Once again, remember that the probably soon to be sub $300 w/ contract PPC phones are going to have this out of the box, so charging almost $200 to add most of this functionality to least year's Treo (and hopefully for you next year's Treo) seems counterintuitive. Also remember that this is simply OTA syncing of data that is not all that frequently updated and certainly not often time critical, at least not like email. Again if you are targeting consumers and small-to-mid sized businesses, I think the saavy buyer will realize the true value of this over-the-air PIM syncing doesn't even approach a $200 price point when the same functionality can be achieved during a 30 second hotsync for free.

Anyway, this is just my 2 cents as to your dollars and cents. Good luck with this endeavor. I think its a good idea and you'll find a market. Just don't price yourself out of it.

Paul
    I'd still buy it but I'd rather not have syncing to all of the PIM information. I'd rather just have email and not the contacts folders - and here's why:

I use subfolders for contacts, tasks, and that would get to be a little crazy and time consuming trying to configure? Therefore, I'd rather just rely upon the Pocket Mirror Pro XT to handle that information instead of wirelessly.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
  8.    #8  
    txschaefers - There will of course be a trial before purchase.

ptyork - My goal it to offer OWA users an email alternative to VPN usage or products with monthly fees. I agree that push-sync (or other OWA sync) of contacts, for example, isn't nearly as valuable as email sync; at this point, I have no plans to do PIM sync.

Marc
  9.    #9  
    I may consider lowering the price somewhat, depending on further input. $80 strikes me as perhaps a bit high for all the pieces, I suppose. $69 would probably be a better price point: $39, $19, $11, perhaps; I will give it more thought.

Marc
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter
    ptyork - My goal it to offer OWA users an email alternative to VPN usage or products with monthly fees. I agree that push-sync (or other OWA sync) of contacts, for example, isn't nearly as valuable as email sync; at this point, I have no plans to do PIM sync.
    Marc, I hate to discourage this completely as I do think that ther is a market for OTA PIM sync, but just not at David's price point. Perhaps you could work with David to co-market his product as a win-win for both of you (as I think this curent partnership is). Again, I think if David would go with a $29 price point, there would be a significant number of buyers.

One other point (and a slight retraction of my earlier post). OTA calendar sync, and especially meeting invitations/acceptance, is truly useful OTA. I had a Blackberry a few years back issued through my employer and this feature alone was almost worth the price of admission. Being able to be on the road and have my calendar stay updated with regard to free/busy time was great. Other PIM data can wait, but calendar data is probably an exception, especially for business users. If you could integrate this portion into Chatter, then I think you'd really be able to attract the mid-sized company market and perhaps get some converts from the "big boys."

Your $69 price sounds much more reasonable. If you could get calendar sync and meeting invite/acceptance rolled in at this level, I would certainly buy, and I'm sure you'd find many others willing to jump, as well. For all of this, I might even bite at $29, though again, not as readily as I would at $19. There something about being below that $20 level that moves me psychologically from a minor utility purchase to a major purchase decision...

One other unrelated question. Have you considered offering this through carriers (e.g., via Sprint through Handmark)? I'd bet there are a significant number of users who only see the 3rd party software offered throuh their carriers (those who are somehow willing to pay $2.50 for a ringtone that expires after 90 days). I know you'd be giving up some money to market it this way, but it may be worth it to tap into this market. Especially if you are moving from the enthusiast market to the business market. Through Sprint, many folks get a $10 monthly credit for purchases, and knocking $10 off of the price may make it even more palatable for users looking for a push solution.

Good luck!
    Paul
    I'll buy it if it is $19, otherwise I might have to talk to the wife and explain why this is important for me and so and so.... And probably end up not getting it because I already get my mail forwarded to an imap account.

Al
  12.    #12  
    Well, if you have an alternate means of getting mail from Exchange, then it's really not that necessary a purchase. Most Exchange users don't have that option.

Marc
    If I don't have chatter, do I have to buy chatter and a $29 add on too? How much is a turn key solution for first time buyers is my real question.
    visor deluxe->clie n760->treo 300->treo 600->treo 650 -> treo 700p -> treo 755p
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgarza
    If I don't have chatter, do I have to buy chatter and a $29 add on too? How much is a turn key solution for first time buyers is my real question.
    According to post 6
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...29&postcount=6
    If you are a first time buyer you will be paying $80

Al
  15.    #15  
    Tentatively, the total would be $80 if SSL is required, but this isn't set in stone. I'm thinking $69 is probably more likely, at least at first.

Marc
    while I am sure that this update does not yet accomodate Palm devices (it only mentions "approved" devices) - I am not sure it doesn't nor would I bet that if it doesn't then it will soon....which begs the question why do I need this product from Chatter?

New Mobility Features in Exchange Server 2003 SP2
    Published: November 2, 2005

Microsoft® Exchange Server 2003 Service Pack 2 (SP2) offers many new mobility features including Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync®, Exchange direct push technology, remote wipe, global address list (GAL) lookup, and policy provisioning. This article discusses some of the new features in Exchange Server 2003 SP2. For more information about Exchange Server 2003 SP2 features, see Why Try Service Pack 2 for Exchange Server 2003?
    Exchange ActiveSync

Exchange ActiveSync is an Exchange synchronization protocol that is optimized to deal with high latency and low bandwidth networks and also with low capacity clients (low memory, storage, and CPU). The protocol is based on HTTP and XML. Today with Exchange Server, you can configure your ActiveSync-enabled mobile devices to synchronize with the Exchange server mailbox at intervals as frequently as every five minutes.

Benefits of Exchange ActiveSync are:
    • Exchange ActiveSync is built into Exchange Server so that you do not need additional software or servers.
    • Exchange ActiveSync gives users a consistent Microsoft Office Outlook® experience across the users' environment.
    • Exchange ActiveSync does not require any desktop software or connection software.
    • Exchange ActiveSync does not require special data plans or subscriptions. A user can buy as much data as he or she needs through a standard data plan and can use his or her mobile devices globally.

Exchange Direct Push Technology

Based on customer feedback regarding the limitations of using SMS to notify a supported device, we’ve improved the experience in Exchange Server 2003 SP2. The following is being delivered with the new Exchange direct push technology:
    • A standard data plan is the only subscription you need to have to synchronize with Exchange Server.
    • It works globally.
    • No need to deploy additional infrastructure in your Exchange Server environment.
    • No need for SMS notification or any other “out-of-band” schemes.
    • No special configuration on the mobile device.

Direct push is enabled by default. The immediate effect of direct push is that you will see an increased number of open connections that the server must handle. This increase in connections puts more pressure on the memory, but not necessarily on the CPU. With the memory improvements in Windows Server™ 2003 SP1, it is recommended that you run Exchange Server 2003 SP2 on this version of the Windows® operating system.

Direct push is designed to minimize the effect to e-mail traffic. For example, the synchronization operations that are performed in direct push are targeted at only those folders that contain changes, so you’re never issuing a lot of empty synchronizations as you would with a scheduled or manual synchronization. There are other optimizations that are performed both by the server and the mobile device.

SecurID is supported by Exchange ActiveSync. However, for every request that goes to the server, you need to re-enter the SecurID key. This requirement effectively prevents using direct push or scheduled synchronization because, in these instances, the mobile device should be synchronizing without user intervention.
    Top of pageTop of page
    Remote Wipe

The Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync Mobile Administration Web tool enables the remote wipe feature added in SP2. This tool enables administrators and help desk professionals to manage the process of remotely erasing lost, stolen, or otherwise compromised mobile devices. After the remote wipe has been completed, the administrator receives an acknowledgement that the mobile device has been wiped. The ability to perform a remote wipe is useful when an end user loses his or her mobile device, or if the device is stolen and there is a risk that personal or confidential information could be accessed.

This feature is enabled over a Web application that is restricted to Exchange Administrators by default. Other individuals can be added as required. Using this Web application, you can perform the following tasks:
    • View a list of all mobile devices that are being used by any enterprise user.
    • Send or cancel remote wipe commands to mobile devices.
    • View the status of pending remote wipe requests for each mobile device.
    • View a transaction log that indicates which administrators have issued remote wipe commands, in addition to the mobile devices those commands pertain to.
    • Delete an old or unused partnership between devices and users.

The Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync Mobile Administration Web tool will be available from the Exchange Server 2003 Tools download center in late 2005.
    Top of pageTop of page
    Global Address List (GAL) Lookup

With Exchange Server 2003 SP2, you can receive contact properties for individuals in the global address list (GAL) from your approved mobile device. By using these properties, you can quickly search for a person and obtain the information that you need to be able to connect with your contact.

A good way to perform a lookup is to use alias, display name, first name, or last name. The number of results is limited to one hundred items; therefore, you should ensure that your queries are well scoped.

The search query is a string that can denote different Active Directory® directory service properties such as display name, office, alias, and first name. The query string is then used on the server to do a prefix search on ambiguous name resolution (ANR) indexable properties for all the mail-enabled objects on the Exchange server. The objects whose ANR indexable properties match the search query are returned as the response results.

The response provides 10 non-customizable properties as follows: first name, last name, display name, office location, title, company, office telephone, mobile phone, alias, and e-mail address.

There are no special requirements or steps to have this feature working. GAL lookup is installed and enabled by default and cannot be turned off.
  17.    #17  
    basic -

For one thing, it's still vaporware on the Treo; there are no clients that support it or have been announced for it.

For another, when there IS a client on the Treo, it will likely be VersaMail. How will it handle the push, if at all? Will it run asynchronously? Who knows!

Third, Chatter will work with Exchange 2000 as well as Exchange 2003 deployments that don't have the new service pack, so it's available for a much wider range of Exchange users.

I'm all about giving people options; nobody has to buy this!

Marc
    Marc,

Don't get me wrong I really admire your work, but one of the things that we all liked about Chatter was your awesome feedback, the product functionality and the price. However, $41 for OWA seems to be a bit high and $80 for the whole package is just way up high. I hope you reconsider the price to something closer to what we would expect from Chatter.

Al
  19.    #19  
    treolo - Both OWA and Matrix are licensed and provide unique capabilities; if I didn't have to pay others, they would both be a lot cheaper.

marc
    $80??? really? Sorry, not a chance for me. I wanted to but 2, one for me and one for the wife, but I would spend $80 total. Best of luck anyhow
    visor deluxe->clie n760->treo 300->treo 600->treo 650 -> treo 700p -> treo 755p