Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pizenson
    I tried using Versamail to connect to my work mail, but was never able to get it to connect. Something Marc did go around the security challenges. I'm very happy so far.

I've looked at the PPC, but it just seems a bit too big and bulky. The Treo is a bit bigger than I would prefer, but I can't imagine the keyboard any smaller either.
    The 6700 is about the same size as the Treo 650, I actually dislike the keyboard on the 6700 because I think it is too big. It is nearly impossible to type one handed and the width of the keyboard makes thumb typing uncomfortable.
    Hi All.

I'm beta testing OWA, and am so excited about this product! One question for all you long-time Chatter users:

If you delete a message in your Outlook inbox (or move it to another folder) does your Chatter Inbox still show the message?

If I delete a message in Outlook, even though I have OWA set to "Listen" (ie Push) the message continues to show in the inbox on Chatter...which is not the expected behaviour. To be fair, I haven't read through all of the Chatter documentation...I'm hoping that this post will give me a quick answer.....

Thx
  3.    #63  
    tDot -

OWA is a work in progress; at the moment, syncs happen 1) when new mail is pushed, and 2) after an hour. So you wouldn't see deletions reflected right away in Chatter as it's now implemented. I expect this to change, and that users will have various options for keeping the Treo and OWA in sync; as you might expect, there are tradeoffs involved (e.g. more frequent syncs = more battery usage, more calls to VM on CDMA phones, etc.)

Marc
    Marc, any ideas on the pricing of OWA addon?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  5.    #65  
    I think I'm going to stick with $29 for now; not final, but that's where I'm most comfortable right now. I may have a more robust version at a higher price somewhere later on (more enterprise-like features, perhaps sync'ing PIMs; not sure).

Marc
    Marc,
    Can I PLEASE get in on the beta? Or are you close to opening it up to general use soon?
    -meonline
    Any status on the open beta version? I can't use a redirector any longer and versamail is nowhere close to the solution I need....
    Hey Marc,

I believe I am staying at this current job that provides OWA at least until next year June. I'm contemplating doing my business full time eventually (not confirmed though). That being said, do you think, just in your opinion (nothing official), that it's worth it for me to get the PDA package with Cingular vs. the MediaWorks package I have now (the MediaWorks package doesn't allow OWA Push)? I now have unlimited internet and 1500 text messages for 19.95/month. If I get the PDA plan (the plan I'm technically supposed to be on), it will cost around $40/month along with $10/month for a decent text messaging package (I average around 300/month currently). I am also on their 450 voice plan that I'm considering upgrading from, especially if I do my biz full time. 450 min won't be enough.

Even though it's addressed to Marc, anyone can answer of course. Thanks.
  9.    #69  
    I don't know how anyone can help you with that one - it just depends on whether it's worth $30/month TO YOU for the OWA access...

Marc
  10.    #70  
    It's close (the open beta). I'm thinking next week.

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by meonline
    Marc,
    Can I PLEASE get in on the beta? Or are you close to opening it up to general use soon?

I can't believe I am begging someone to give me an opportunity to spend money on them!

-meonline
    Marc,

Quick question (maybe it's been addressed, but I couldn't find it).

I am interested in the OWA version of Chatter, but I don't know if it will work for me. My company is very tight on security, and I'm certain the IT department would flip if they knew I was using my personal phone (650) to send/receive emails under my account. My setup is this:

We do have OWA capability (using it now, as my laptop is being worked on). Our login sequence using the web-based portal goes as follows:

Username:
    RSA SecureID:
    Password:

Since I have to enter my SecureID code to access OWA, will it be possible for me to use Chatter OWA to access my work email? It seems every post I read says if you have OWA, then Chatter OWA will work...but what about the ever-changing SecureID codes??

Thanks.

Eric
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    I can't imagine that this would work. RSA usually implements a farily quick socket timeout. At least they used to. This would defeat the push capabilities, which require a socket be held open over a long period (an hour w/ OWA??). Using a timed quicksync wouldn't work, either, as RSA would keep asking for a new SecureID token. At best, you might be able to get Mark to hack in some form of custom authentication scheme that accepted a SecureID token along with a User ID and Password (presumably saved to save typing) which would work for manual syncing. However, I'd guess the chance of this happening would be close to nil.

No, I think your company's security policies are well backed up with their hardware/software solution. I wouldn't expect corporate e-mail on your Treo any time soon (unless of course you're forwarding it on to an outside provider, in which case your company's security nazi's are probably on the way to drag you to a gulag right now). Sorry...

Paul
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    I thought that the SecurID was needed only when logging in not to stay logged in. Also, if Chatter generates enough traffic (but too much) then the connection should stay alive. I think the biggest challenge is going to be entering the SecurID code.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Just checking in... any updates Marc? You're pretty quiet....
    -meonline
  16.    #76  
    Just working... I still hope to have the open beta of OWA out by the weekend...

Marc
    It's getting really close to a solid product. I've enjoyed being a part of the alpha version.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter

Marc
    Sounds very exciting - hopefully "weekend" means Thursday night in this case.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter

Marc
    Will there be a charge for the open beta, or can it be download as a trial?
  20.    #80  
    There will be a 30-day trial, I'm thinking...

Marc
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast