Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Mark and David,

I think you have three distinct buyers:

1. Techno geeks (most of the folks in these chat rooms) - very cost sensitive and will likely squirm on every incremental dollar spent. SMALL market segment although very vocal in these forums
    2. Execs like me - Company offers Bberry, but dont want to carry around a cell phone and separate email doo dad. Since our employers do not support non bberry, you cant get IT to do anything with activesync, etc. We (I already have) will pay anything. Bigger segment, but not huge.
    3. Corporate customers

Given you will need 1+2 to get number 3, you might consider an introductory price of $____ to grab the 1s and 2s. Your price should be low enought to capture all 1s.

What you charge now is irrelevant to what you will charge market 3. Since it appears the application/service sold to corporate customers will include additional bells and whistles.

dp
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Marc, how about a three tiered pricing structure:

$19 for OWA Personal
    - essentially what you have committed to in terms of features, just OWA access to e-mail

$29 for OWA Professional
    - OWA Personal + Calendar Sync/Meeting Requests/etc.

$99 for OWA Corporate
    - OWA Professional bundled with the rest of David's whiz bang stuff

I must agree wholehartedly that Matrix is a pure shame and a waste of your resources and our $$$'s. Bad Palm...

Incidentally, David, how much of what you have in your prior post is actually implemented and in release format and how much is on the drawing board? Especially things like "remote device management which will include OTA unattended deployment, remote device wipe, dynamic support and much more." If you have even most of this, then you've made almost unhuman leaps and bounds in the past few months and are to be congratulated. However, you REALLY REALLY REALLY need to get a decent web site up. It was down this AM when I went to check it, and as recently as a couple of weeks ago (and as cached in Google), it was no different than it was about a year ago.

Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by callinectes
    2. Execs like me - Company offers Bberry, but dont want to carry around a cell phone and separate email doo dad. Since our employers do not support non bberry, you cant get IT to do anything with activesync, etc. We (I already have) will pay anything. Bigger segment, but not huge.

dp
    I now technology can be very confusing to some "execs"...all these fancy "doo dads" electronic gizmos and such...but, you may have not have heard that BB has a whole line of devices that double as phones and email devices (as far back as the 6230 phone...the company just released the 8700 series)...they have been out for some time now...or blackberry enabled phones available from Nokia...
    I'm neither a Techno Geek nor an Exec. I'm a developer at a health care institution. Where I work only admin people get blackberries and the rest of the IT force just sync their email with a PDA or use OWA on a web browser when not at the office. However, reading email after hours is important for some of us, because we get updates from ongoing projects constantly, updates on data downloads, etc, but my company is not willing to get us blackberries and I understand that it will be an extra cost. Also, I'm not willing to demand that service because as I stated, it is an "admin thing" to them. Anyway, I'm part of that group (teachers, non admin workers,..etc) that would like to enhance their productivity to do a better job. However, this product is not going to give us more money to justify a high price. Am I making sense here?

Al
    Last edited by TreoRock; 11/17/2005 at 01:32 PM.
    Al - exactly my point: segment the market to capture the 1s with a price low enough to ensure they all buy the product because your use of the product will "market" it to your colleagues and institution. In other words, dont price it too high to keep the early adopters out. And the early adopters are not going to spend alot for the product.

Basic - I have not found the blackberry telephones to be as user friendly as the treo. I did not intend to appear condescending, but the point is that business users are not technology people...they are salesmen, accountants, operations managers, etc.
    some people can justify the price because it will be making money for them in the long run. Others of us will see no fanancial return so the price seems high. Either way, its a great product and people will buy it. Too bad for the rest of us that can't justify the cost.
    visor deluxe->clie n760->treo 300->treo 600->treo 650 -> treo 700p -> treo 755p
    It may be a moot point for me since if the OWA is based on Nexworks code I will not be able to use it anyway. I was never able to get any of their products to work on my companies network. Activesync works but is a little buggy. I am probably going to have to wait for BB Connect or go with an 8700c when it comes out next week.

However, I am going to give the beta a try when it is available since I bought Chatter several months ago.
  8.    #48  
    txschaefers - Send me an email, and I'll send you a version. The code is entirely new, but it's still possible there could be problems.

Marc
    support@chatteremail.com
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dtdionne
    NexSync which the Chatter OWA module is based off of can preform ALL of the just mentioned tasks WITHOUT...

cumbersome middleware
    silly desktop redirectors
    IT involvment outside of allowing OWA
    COSTING ANYWHERE NEAR the closest competitor
    I'm dying for an OTA sync solution for calendar/contacts, but I am NOT going to run MS Exchange. Does NexSync work with any other servers or groupware?? Have you ever tested it with a Unix based Exchange replacement?

I want a solution for ME. I run my own web server and mail server. I will run some sort of PIM server once I find a solution that will OTA sync with mine (and a few others) Treo 650s.

Dave
    Well after trying multiple "activesync" products and not wanting to sync anything but email.......Marc has managed to get me up and running and syncing via OWA.

I am now a devoted Chattermail customer.

I understand certain Members and the concern about pricing. I have to say that for me, it's worth the $80 or so dollars for the whole thing as mentioned in this thread. That may not be the view of the masses.

But in this one little scenario and the help that I was provided - it's invaluable.

And having abandoned a Blackberry 7100g and going against corporate mandates and now having a viable syncing email program for my Treo - we may be asking for a mass liscense.

I know I'm going to be paying for my OWA liscense when it's finalized and one more will be bought within weeks.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    Marc now has me up and running on chattermail OWA and it is awesome. The treo with this application is miles ahead of my blackberry. I will be showing to it department sometime next week. congrats marc and david.....
    Any further word on when a public beta will be available? I'm dying to try out the OWA features with my company, as they won't allow any other access.

Fastmail has too many limits.
    callinectes,

Did you have any issues trying to connect to Exchange? Marc sent me the beta, but I haven't been able to get connected. For some reason I can't send Marc a log (can't find it). Can't wait to try it...
    Log is in your backup folder on the PC after you've hot sync'd. It's called ChatterLog.pdb.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    i did actually have some issues. I went back and deleted all chattermail files and reinstalled fresh (make sure you have you registration number). After that it worked. So far so good. Working so well I am going to kill the bberry from work and get them to reimubrse me for my data plan on verizon.
    Marc,
    I don't know if you are still reading this thread or not, but... I am EAGERLY looking forward to this product but would encourage you to consider adding the abilility to deal with calendar changes in a future version. This would be HUGE. It would allow people to accept invites while out of the office and get them on their calendars too so they don't miss important meetings. I think this would be worth another upcharge.

Also, my $.02 on the pricing discussion. I'm a project manager in a large company, (currently I use Chatter for personal mail), I would be very willing to spend another $30 of my own money to be able to get my mail on the go ($50 if I could do the calendar too). My feeling is that you are offering a very reasonable option to people who don't want to drop the recurring money on a Blackberry solution. In addition, your support is better than I have seen from companies offering that kind of solution. $80 1 time vs. recurring costs... it's a no brainer to me.

If you are looking for more Beta customers please let me know... I'm in a mixed environment. Small Business Server at home and Exchange at work (very locked down).
  17.    #57  
    Yes, still working on it... Send me an email reminding me of this thread (to support@chatteremail.com) and I'll get you up and running.

Marc
    All,
    At the risk of having a bunch of you begging Marc...

He got me set up testing today and it has been very stable after about 6 hours of use. I will post more updates as time goes on. About the only thing I could hope for is for Marc to add Calendar integration, but maybe soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by pizenson
    About the only thing I could hope for is for Marc to add Calendar integration, but maybe soon.
    I am optimistic that this will happen especially so after my experience with a PPC6700 I setup for my boss. We are testing out various "pda phones" trying to decide what to get everyone in the company. I still like the Treo 650 best over a PPC6700 and whatever version Blackberry Sprint has. The PPC6700 has some great PDA function but it really falls short on being a phone. Also I enjoy using my Treo one handed and still having the ability to type, this is something I don't think I could ever master on the PPC6700

I am thinking of switching over to Exchange and am hopeful I can be apart of the OWA test. I think for the time being I will try to use Versamail to do a sync of my calendar items. Email is the only thing that is important to me to sync in real time. I could live with a polled calendar sync if I really have to. You might want to search around the forums I've seen some other users that have be running Chatter for email and Versamail for calendar sync.
    I tried using Versamail to connect to my work mail, but was never able to get it to connect. Something Marc did go around the security challenges. I'm very happy so far.

I've looked at the PPC, but it just seems a bit too big and bulky. The Treo is a bit bigger than I would prefer, but I can't imagine the keyboard any smaller either.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast