Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am looking for an English Dictionary with thesaurus, and an English-Spanish Dictionary. Would appreciate any recommendations.
    I use the Slovoed Software from Penreader and it's great.

ALSO: enter the promotional code SLDCTNW72 after you select the dictionaries you want to buy and you'll get a discount of 70%!!
    That works out at about $5 for the biggest English dictionary. Bargain.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Great discount coupon checkmate! Just bought myself the full English dictionary bundle for under 4.00!
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    Nice discount, mine came to $5.99 U.S. I've been looking for a good dictionary (cheap) ever since I bought the Treo 650. I can't run my free Noah Lite Dictionary that I had on my Kyo 7135 on the 650.

One question though: I downloaded and registered the $19.99 (discounted to $5.99) "English Dictionary with Thesaurus" but I see no Thesaurus. I read though the manual which opened in adobe and saw no mention of it there either?

Anyone know where it is or how to access it?

Tip: the database is 11 MB. Don't forget to install the prc. program file to the internal 650 and the database file to a card.
    Palm III,V>6035>7135>650>700p (on Vzn), PalmBT Treo Hdset>i-Trek BT GPS>TomTom Nav6>755p
    Check your Treo's leather case if you bought it from VZW.

Back in May I returned a leather case to a VZW store that didn't fit the 650 (only the 600). I left my wonderful Miriam-Webster's Dictionary/Franklin Thesaurus card tucked away deep down in the SD card pocket. I forgot it was there & it was tucked down deep enough that you couldn't see it.

I really hope that someone buys the case and tries to use the pocket to store their card and finds out there's something in there

It will be a nice ($40) freebie - I hope someone gets some use out of it
    -jeff

...the Truth will set you free!
  7.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by checkmate
    I use the Slovoed Software from Penreader and it's great.

ALSO: enter the promotional code SLDCTNW72 after you select the dictionaries you want to buy and you'll get a discount of 70%!!
    That works out at about $5 for the biggest English dictionary. Bargain.
    Thanks. I was looking for a recommendation from someone who used them.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Hmmm.. every time I try and launch it I get a reset! I have about 6.5MB free RAM (and have tried it with 13MB, by moving most of my programmes to my SD card). The PRC file is in main memory and the DB file is on my card.

I've tried re-installing the whole thing, but to no avail.

Waiting for a response back from the developer. Any thoughts??
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    It must be in conflict with some of your other programs. That'd be my guess!
    Palm III,V>6035>7135>650>700p (on Vzn), PalmBT Treo Hdset>i-Trek BT GPS>TomTom Nav6>755p
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Still not heard back from developer :-(.
    If I take my SD card out (which holds the DB file) it doesn't reset. I get the language screen option menu- which then requests the DB file!

Only seems to reset when accessing the memory card....

How much free RAM does everyone have?

I loaded it with about 3 megs left and it ran fine. just put the database on the card and the app on the main memory.
    Thanks again for the discount code. With it the package I bought only ran me just under $4.00
    I use the Slovoed Software from Penreader and it's great. Wonderful discount!. Thanks
    I actually found the discount code in another thread started by Shneor, so all credit goes to him for that. One thing I didn't realise until recently was that there is a 'Resident' setting which allows you to bring up the dictionary during other programs with a simple MENU, then BACKSPACE keypress. I thought this was a really great feature.

With regards to the resetting problem, I had the same issue and it only got resolved when I had to hard-reset my Treo recently and reinstall my programs. There were a few that I didn't reinstall, such as Techsounds5 and I think one of these must have been the problem. I figured the new 'sound' feature of Slovoed 2005 conflicted with my Techsounds5 sound settings, but I'm not sure.

Try removing all your Files from the SD card (except the dictionaries) and reinstalling them one-by-one to see which one causes the crash.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Re: the thesaurus. I think it is integrated into the main definition of each word. Just look at the bottom of each definition and there are SYNONYMS, HYPERNYMS and HYPNONYMS.
    Last edited by checkmate; 11/15/2005 at 01:56 PM.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Will Noah Lite not work on the 650? According to Fed-Ex, my Treo is waiting at home for me, and I had planned on installing Noah Lite - I used it on a Sony Clie and really liked it.
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by checkmate
    Re: the thesaurus. I think it is integrated into the main definition of each word. Just look at the bottom of each definition and there are SYNONYMS, HYPERNYMS and HYPNONYMS.
    Thx Checkmate
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rctoyguy
    Will Noah Lite not work on the 650? According to Fed-Ex, my Treo is waiting at home for me, and I had planned on installing Noah Lite - I used it on a Sony Clie and really liked it.
    I read somewhere that it was not compatible with the 650. Actually, when you do a synch the first time coming from an old OS the 650 automatically quarantines the programs that are not compatible so I didn't want to risk trying to install it.

Buy this program above with the discount it was only $5.99 and I think it's larger too than Noah Lite and the $19.99 version has the thesaurus included.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Spent 2 hours last night trying to get it to run!
    I methodically removed programs from the 'launcher' folder on my SD card but couldn't pin down a conflicting file. The dictionary only runs when the launcher folder is empty of other files. I can get it to run on a different memory card that has no other info on it.

I use a 512MB card and have about 30MB free. I've tried putting the english_english prc in the laucher folder (default location?), programs folder and books folder on my SD card.

I even formatted my memory card and re-copied it's contents to it (this freed up about 5MB somehow by the way).

Any idea on how to solve this one? The develper hasn't bothered to reply to me....

have you tried installing the apps in the 'Launcher' folder one-by-one? I know it's time consuming, but you could do 3 at a time or something, then narrow it down that way.

Pay particular attention to apps that stay in the background constantly, such as ringer-altering programs or launcher alternatives.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast