1.    #1  
    Hi guys,

I am hoping some of you TomTom owners can help me out. After reading the reviews on this website by many Treo Central users I am considering getting one. I have a few questions:

1) First of all is it possible to store all the maps for the US or North America on a SD Card and run the maps off a SD card? I travel quite frequently and would like all the maps loaded in one place. Is this a supported configuration?

2) How is the TomTom product compared to factory installed GPS systems built into cars. Does it give you turn-by-turn direction, automatic re-routing, and voice?

3) Can I use the TomTom PLUS service with the TomTom on Treo 650?

4) How easily does it take to put in new addresses from my current location to new locations not in my address book? I am always going to new places and I usually donít know where I am and only have a destination address. Since the screen is smaller then traditional GPS devices good voice prompts and rerouting is important to me.

I am really debating between the TomTom700 and the TomTom To Go. Obviously the TomTom to Go is cheaper and I like the fact I can easily take it anywhere with me, but I am little worried about the user interface and how I would enter addresses or search points of interests. However if I go with the TomTom 700 I am little worried that I can throw it in my laptop bag because of its size and if I put in my carry-on or checked baggage when traveling I will have the risk of damaging it Ė plus the price of course.

Any ideas or if someone can tell me there honest opinion
    Just got my bundled TomTom Software with I.Trek M3 GPS receiver a couple of weeks ago. Initial impression..... very very cool.

Okay... look at answers below.

1) First of all is it possible to store all the maps for the US or North America on a SD Card and run the maps off a SD card? I travel quite frequently and would like all the maps loaded in one place. Is this a supported configuration?

It is possible to fit all the maps on one SD card. You'll need at least a 1GB card. All you do is when you go to a new place... you go into the configuration and switch to the map of the area you are in.

2) How is the TomTom product compared to factory installed GPS systems built into cars. Does it give you turn-by-turn direction, automatic re-routing, and voice?

Compared to built in systems... functionality exactly the same. It has turn by turn, autmoatic re-routing, voice commands, and a pretty big database of point of interest places... such as gas stations, restaraunts, etc. The main difference is the screen size.

3) Can I use the TomTom PLUS service with the TomTom on Treo 650?

Yes

4) How easily does it take to put in new addresses from my current location to new locations not in my address book? I am always going to new places and I usually donít know where I am and only have a destination address. Since the screen is smaller then traditional GPS devices good voice prompts and rerouting is important to me.

It is pretty easy to put in new address. Of course, if you know the address that you are going to ahead of time... it's way better because you can put it in as your favorites.

As far as comparing it to the TomTom 700, the deciding factor for me is the price. The price of the 700 is something like $600-$800... somehwere in that range. I assume you already have a treo 650, so.... it's going to be even cheaper. Even if you don't have a 650, it'll still be cheaper and you gain of course the functionatliy of the 650. okay... I'll list reasons for getting and not getting the treo gps solution. The reasons for getting it to me out weigh the reasons for not getting it...

Reasons for not getting it....
    1. Smaller Screen
    2. You can't use the GPS navigation and talk on the phone at the same time. If you are constantly on the phone while you are driving, then this could be an issue.

Reasons for getting it....
    1. Portable - You'll only need a GPS Receiver (BTW, if you lose the reciever, it's a lot cheaper to replace the receiver than the entire TomTom 700).
    2. Software is just as good and probably the same as the Tom Tom 700
    3. Integration with your address book.
    4. Ability to use other software such as cotoGPS. (One thing that I do with cotoGPS is that I can track my travels and plug them right into Google Earth. Look at their website for examples).
    5. Main reason..... Price!!

That's my long winded 2 cents.
    On the size, I have found that the 3D view makes the size a non issue. I travelled around Denver and then around Chicago and had no problems with the screen size. The 3D view made it extremely easy to see. As a test, I changed the view to 2D and I can see where screen size really does matter in that view.
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    That's funny. I just purchased TOMTOM5, and I prefer the 2D view...
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quick question.... what is the *minimum* memory (RAM) required for using Tomtom 5 with the Globalstat gps? I'm assuming all maps that one wants to use can be on the SD card.... Memory is tight, so I'm interested in knowing what the minimum is. Also, I'm assuming that keeping about 3 megs of RAM free (after installation) is adquate (that's what I have now)- would that be reasonable? Thanks!
    I just purchased Tomtom 5 to use with my Treo 650 and I am having trouble installing 3 of the maps on my 1 gig card. The syncronization keeps failling at the end of one of the maps with still 600 megs free on the card. There also doesn't seem to be a way to delete the map from "installing" as they do not appear in the palm install directories. I had to disable map sync to continue syncing. Any one have any idea's?
    Maps aside, which can be installed on the card, what is the main memory footprint of the TomTom software?

dohdoh: Great answers in post #2!
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    MarkY- I recently asked this in another thread- and got response that it is less than 100K! I will be getting TT5/Globalstat tomorrow and we'll see....Very good news for those of us with tight memory (although it seems 4-5 megs free is needed in RAM for TT to run well with maps on the card)
    Lostz711 said:
    I am really debating between the TomTom700 and the TomTom To Go.
    ------------
    There are a lot of answers here that are about other the TomTom Navigator, which is all good, but doesn't answer Lostz's questions.
    The TomTomGO 700 is AWESOME. A few notes on the features that make the price well worth it for this unit....

1) The company just issued a firmware update which allows both GPRS & CDMA carrier phones to connect to PLUS services, so now all us Sprint & Verizon folks can join the fun. Now we can get updated Traffic with incident reports & rerouting for fastest arrival, POI sets (like Jiwire's database of WiFi hotspots!), maps, voices etc all on the go. PLUS service runs $9/mo I believe, but the traffic service makes that worth it (at least where I am) in a couple days of use. TomTom still won't warrant that the Treo 650 works with the GOs, but mine has worked with handfree, after some wrangling, for 2-3 months now, and now also works with PLUS service. SprintPCS seems the easiest to configure for both functions.

2) You CAN talk & navigate at the same time on the TTGo 700. I'm not sure where anyone heard otherwise. The only difference is that if you're using the Go700 as a handsfree kit, the voice prompts are replaced by "bleeps" so your conversation isn't interrupted. I have noticed some voice distortion if I'm plugging in a new destination or scrolling through the menus while on the phone. However, if my destination is plugged in already (the usual case), I can talk for the whole drive without any problems.

3) Though the price may seem high, there's no other GPS that I'm aware of that offers touch-screen full-service Navigation that's portable AND functions is capable of Handsfree Use (built-in mic in the base) and internet connection for traffic etc! Even at double the price. TomTom is not my favorite company (by any means), but they took a big gamble on thinking outside the box on this unit, and I think it's paid off with this latest firmware update.

4) The price is settling down. I think CompUSA's got a deal where you get $50 back from a $699 purchase AND PLUS services free until Dec 2006. A lot less than many have paid without regrets.

If you want more info, head to the Bluetooth Forum here & see the top thread that started out as "TomTom GO700- Bluetooth Problem" that's posted there. Also check out www.MyTomTomGO.com/forums (may not need the "s") in the Bluetooth section there too. Since the firmware has changed everything, you're likely to get the most out of the last 3-4 pages. Just be sure to note which carriers each person is using, as that seems to make a great deal of difference in the setup & success rates.

Best of luck & enjoy whichever system you pick up!
    M
    Last edited by MindFull; 11/22/2005 at 07:31 AM. Reason: last detail
    From the Desk Of....
    MindFull
    SF Bay~
    The Treo 650: Crisp & Clean, but the RAM is lean!