1.    #1  
    Chatter is now running with Exchange directly for email, by the way. Push is implemented as well; so far it appears to work well....

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter
    Chatter is now running with Exchange directly for email, by the way. Push is implemented as well; so far it appears to work well....

Marc
    Very nice, Marc, congratulations. I spoke with David about the solution and from what I hear (haven't seen it yet) looks like it will be a nice application.
  3.    #3  
    Will be a terrific solution for many (most?) potential customers of Good and RIM on the Treo, IMO.

Marc
    Will be a terrific solution for many (most?) potential customers of Good and RIM on the Treo, IMO.

Marc
    Not going down that road. I think your product will have its place and leave it at that.
  5.    #5  
    Aw, c'mon. In the long run (5 years), Good and RIM are toast; I don't think there's any question about that. It won't be my doing, of course, but it's a silly model, IMO.

Marc
    You are entitled to your opinion, Marc, but I am not getting drawn into this debate with you.
  7.    #7  
    You're no fun at all.

Marc
    Oh, I am alot of fun, however, having been accused of shilling and providing false information and being flamed for defending my product, I have learned it is best to leave certain things alone.
    Aw, c'mon. In the long run (5 years), Good and RIM are toast; I don't think there's any question about that. It won't be my doing, of course, but it's a silly model, IMO.

Marc
    Why buy XXX (insert your favorite here) when Microsoft gives it to me for free? Sounds like a familiar argument. Netmeeting, IIS, IE, etc..

Alot of the landscape will change in 5 years but to what...your guess is as good as mine. Good and RIM will prosper. The money is not in email but in backend applications. Email will be free.
  10.    #10  
    What does RIM, for example, provide that's worth the price of admission?

Marc
    A support structure, established company, a community of developers, established product, lots of R&D money, support for Notes, Exchange, Groupwise, establishing framework to run on multiple devices, support from the worlds largest carriers, app management, enhanced security model, beyond email they offer backend business application intergration...yada, yada, yada.

You make a nice product but these other companies (RIM, Good, Visto, Seven) touch a different market. Granted, I may not care for any of them, but they wouldn't be growing if people didn't believe they had something worth paying for.. JMO
  12.    #12  
    And yet, by and large, these companies sell inferior product, are very slow to adapt and enhance, and are very expensive at a time when these services are becoming easier to provide.

Marc
    And yet, by and large, these companies sell inferior product, are very slow to adapt and enhance, and are very expensive at a time when these services are becoming easier to provide.

Marc
    Well, you got me into it

Can you explain Chatter's security and fleet management capabilities, ie, remote wipe, device audit, third-party application deployment, over the air provisioning, etc? Not trying to sound flip, I simply don't know what Chatter offers in this arena.
  14.    #14  
    I never said that Chatter did any of those things, did I? My biggest complaints are actually with Seven and Visto, who seem to add no value at all. Good and RIM have their place in enterprises, of course. But most people with Exchange servers don't need any of those features you mention... At least, that's my story. And I'm sticking with it...

Marc
    OK, fair enough. I have always said that Good was designed with the enterprise in mind.

Marc
    Not disagreeing it is just that enterprises customers want stable and predictable. Think of Linux. Linux is free but yet people pay Redhat and others because of their support and stability.

I think Microsoft will lay the groundwork and develop the architecture for wireless messaging on windows platform but they need other companies to create additional value around it.

JMO
  17.    #17  
    After I get email in, I'll probably work on the PIM's, which really should be easy.

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    Can you explain Chatter's security and fleet management capabilities, ie, remote wipe, device audit, third-party application deployment, over the air provisioning, etc? Not trying to sound flip, I simply don't know what Chatter offers in this arena.
    As far as I'm concerned, just about everything you listed (apart from remote provisioning) is what I call B-L-O-A-T, and Good wasn't all that small to start with. And I can honestly tell you that the medium sized enterprise *I* work for is actively seeking ways to dump both Blackberry and Good... it's just too much overhead for applications that don't require it. For larger enterprises that purchase devices, service, and own the equipment their employees use this is all a great idea... they can manage and control their assets. For most anyone else, it's just unwelcome overhead.

But you know your market better than we do. It just seems some of those who were previously customers get increasingly marginalized market-wise. I don't mean to suggest it's a bad thing... just an interesting observation as I've watched the various products mature.
    Yes, I've already been talking this up with our IT staffers (some of which have actually been using ExchangeSync/VersaMail to avoid the bloatiness of Good on their 650's) and there is significant interest.

The only area that really still is lacking here is a really strong PIM sync over OWA. A couple of good starts, but someone really needs to step up and get stable OWA-based offering out there, to demonstrate (if nothing else) that you don't need bloat and the overhead of centralized services (in addition to Exchange) to accomplish the task.
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts

Marc
    Fair is fair. I've jumped on GoodGuy for brining up Good in other people's threads, I'll jump on you for this.

You've announced this in a separate thread.

Anyone who's interested has know it was coming and saw your thread.

This is just an obnoxious attempt to hijack GoodGuy's thread.

A lot of us use Good every day and come here to get advice/support. This just makes it harder to find what I need. GoodGuy doesn't have his own sub-forum. This thread is it.

Want to create a "why chatter is cooler than good" discussion? Start a new thread. Don't hijack this one!
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!